Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S P85 Drive failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 8 years and 3 months (!!!) of almost service free use (damn heater went out 2x for $1k each time, and the tires.)
With no warning....
BANG! And drifted to the side of the road with no drive. Drive unit failure. >$8K replacement.

The first thing they said on the Tesla help line - Oh, your car's out of warranty (8 years). (?Salivating)

Buy an expensive car - get expensive problems. But how disappointing. I have other cars older than this and their "drives"/engines haven't failed.

Anyone get any wiggle room from Tesla on the $$$$ replacement?

Exact same issue here. This seems to be a common problem.
8 years and 1 month. Just out of extended warranty and the drive unit has coolant leakage it seems. I bet the leakage started while under warranty but Tesla Service won’t acknowledge that in writing. They don’t have sensors to tell them there’s leakage. they won’t give or show me the old drive unit.

But here’s the kicker… $6K to replace it with no data that it’s the drive unit except for a visual assessment.
I’m getting rid of this car the moment it’s back from the shop and a Tesla never again.

Reactions: InternetDude
My 2013 Tesla P85 motor replaced at 98,000 miles to facilitate alignment issue under warranty and then failed again 11,000 miles later 7 months out of warranty. $7,100 out of my pocket and no clue how to ask Corporate for some mitigation on the cost.