Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S P85+ - fully loaded, nearly new

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would the other 8 people be willing to work out some system to share the new EVSE or give you priority at night since you can't charge at work?

Anyway, good luck. You will likely take such a big hit on the sale that finding some kind of solution might be worthwhile.

Last edited:
I would think that the garage where you are parking now would be happy to let you pay for a NEMA 14-50 outlet (which is so much better than a 120V NEMA 5-15 like you are using now). Maybe they would even be interested in letting you pay to have the HPWC installed, and then letting it be known that they are "EV-friendly".

The Tesla price increase may save you. Otherwise, between the sales tax and rebate issues, I think you may have to lower your price if you are determined to sell your Model S

The state of California determines the sales price irregardless of a bill of sale. To get them to buy off on a lower price, you really need to jump through hoops. There were too many reporting less than the actual price.

The California credit is only available to the ORIGINALLY TITLED owner, and you must certify to be eligible that the car is not for resale.

Anything is possible.

Shame the tax credit can't be passed on. I forgot about the CA rebate so it hasn't been applied for. As for sales tax, I suppose it's contingent upon what is put down as the selling price.

The state of California determines the sales price irregardless of a bill of sale. To get them to buy off on a lower price, you really need to jump through hoops. There were too many reporting less than the actual price.

Is this something new? How does the state of California determine the sales price?

Last edited:
I don't know for a fact, but I assume they use KBB or something similar. Last used car I bought I brought a bill of sale with a price on it. They said, don't need that, we have a figure, but perhaps they had data from the seller! I just went to the DMV Fee calculator, and you have to input a valid VIN for them to calculate the fees and tax. They do ask for the purchase price also here.

I don't know for a fact, but I assume they use KBB or something similar. Last used car I bought I brought a bill of sale with a price on it. They said, don't need that, we have a figure, but perhaps they had data from the seller! I just went to the DMV Fee calculator, and you have to input a valid VIN for them to calculate the fees and tax. They do ask for the purchase price also here.

It's possible the seller already mailed in his notice of sale with the price in it.

I looked through the California DMV site and couldn't find any info on them changing the uses car sales tax calculation to being automatic.

When I bought my condo I requested a 14-50 receptacle. The developer (owner) agreed to install one for my parking place as part of the purchase price for my unit. I later discovered it cost him $3500 for the installation. If you have an assigned spot you might be able to pay for an installation. I already have a P85+; so, I can't help with your request to buy your P85+. I hope the new price increase from Tesla Motors will help you get the asking price.

I love my condo, but I would sell it before I would sell my P85+, if if could not charge with 240 volts.

+1 get a new condo.

I'd consider moving if I couldn't have my S, or just not drive anymore (potentially doable in the city)
This last week without my S has been way worse than the last couple of months before I got my car in December or the 2+ year wait for it. (I'm really glad I never drove a roadster) I haven't gone anywhere or really done anything since she has been gone

wdi, I see that you're in San Francisco. Depending on where you live and work, does it help if the Burlingame service center installs a supercharger?

This will help tremendously, but it's still an inconvenience having to stop.

I'll sort it all out. Right now I'm going to update the price to something that's much fairer with regard to the credits/rebates. I really appreciate all of the advice in this regard.

Believe me, the fight is just getting started!

So with the loss of the $7,500 for selling too soon, and the $2,500 that you can apply for and the $6,000 "drive off the lot" loss of selling a new car it seems there is much cash available.

You mentioned there is no power in the garage but I have seen dozens of cement parking garages both public and private apart and condos with very very long shiny conduit runs from electric panels on the other side of walls or other end of the buildings.

With all the above cash and a nice letter from a lawyer it seems keeping the car and having a plug installed would actually be cheaper.

From 880:
...that either effectively prohibits or unreasonably restricts the installation or use of an [EV] charging station in an owner's designated parking space, including, but not limited to, a deeded parking space, a parking space in an owner's exclusive use common area, or a parking space that is specifically designated for use by a particular owner, or is in conflict with the provisions of this section is void and unenforceable.

I can't. I've asked. Spots in my building aren't deeded to specific units and can be reassigned any time. They won't let me install the hpwc or any other charger.

It's frustrating.

I'm in a condo complex too, and I know how big headed HOA boards can be. But that doesn't make them lawyers.

I'm not a lawyer, so I can't speak for your individual situation or give you legal advice. But when I asked my dad about mine (he Judge's Traffic Court here in CA) and he said that my HOA couldn't refuse the installation. That the intent of the law was to make it impossible for HOA's to refuse your request as long as your pay for the installation and the insurance. Which in my case, means that I can install an HPWC or 240V/30Amp outlet at MY car port and they can't stop me. As long as I pay for the liability insurance and have a licensed and approved contractor do the installation they can't refuse the installation.

The deal I worked out with my HOA was that I would pay for everything since its going to my car port. BUT since having a charging station adds value to the entire building, they would take it over after I moved out and/or decided to forfeited the spot. That way they can market the building as "EV Friendly" and reassign the spot should someone else with an EV need it. Since I paid for everything, they can't reassign my spot until after I forfeit or vacate the building, since doing would be considered conversion of property (which is a lower form of theft).

Not sure if this helps, but there you go.

BTW, I'm interested. PM me

- - - Updated - - -

There is.

SB 209 Senate Bill - AMENDED

Here is the most current amendment redlines after it was all cleaned up -

http://www.hoalawblog.com/SB880Redline.pdf

This is probably the most important section of that bill:

"An association that willfully violates this section shall be liable to the applicant or other party for actual damages, and shall pay a civil penalty to the applicant or other party in an amount not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000). (h) (k) In any action to enforce compliance with this section, the prevailing plaintiff shall be awarded reasonable attorney’s fees."

Last edited:
The bill states a car port that is for the owners sole use. It sounds like the OP uses a shared parking lot without assigned spaces, and therefore may not apply?

Our garage has assigned spaces. The HOA's management company is responsible for assigning the spaces. However, none of the spaces are deeded to a specific condominium, and can be reassigned, if necessary. This building has been open for less than a year now, and there's lots of "fix it" activity happening throughout the community - including the garage.

For the time being, the HOA is against individuals installing chargers because of this. We've had a number of repairs - drains, resurfacing, restriping, etc. - take place in the past few months, requiring people to move their cars temporarily. In one instance, a spot was being used to store replacement elevator equipment, and the resident parking there needed to move for a month.

My spot is in an area that isn't really affected by this, but I can see their point.

The other issue is running current. My spot is in the far end of the garage on the opposite side to where the electric rooms are. To run conduit would cost thousands and inconvenience (and I've counted) over 80 other cars. I think my fellow neighbors would agree with me that they wouldn't want someone drilling conduit into a concrete ceiling above their vehicles.

What I am hoping for is that they do start to install additional stations. I've actually stepped forward to offer to pay for most of the costs. I sent a letter to them today. See, our CC&R's and Community Rules/Handbook actually reference individual charging stations in parking spots (forward thinking, it appears). And there's a perfect group of spots for this. 5 double-headed ChargePoint stations would cover the 10 spots and allow 10 EVs to park.

The rules stipulate that a spot could be equipped with a charger. If a charger is installed, you'd need to furnish proof of ownership of an EV or be required to have your spot reassigned. Right now, they're all gas cars. I suspect that will be another fight/challenge in future, since the spots are by the entrance and are very convenient.

Nonetheless, they sit less than 50 feet away from one of the main electrical rooms and could probably be up and running in less than a week.

Our garage has assigned spaces. The HOA's management company is responsible for assigning the spaces. However, none of the spaces are deeded to a specific condominium, and can be reassigned, if necessary. This building has been open for less than a year now, and there's lots of "fix it" activity happening throughout the community - including the garage.

For the time being, the HOA is against individuals installing chargers because of this. We've had a number of repairs - drains, resurfacing, restriping, etc. - take place in the past few months, requiring people to move their cars temporarily. In one instance, a spot was being used to store replacement elevator equipment, and the resident parking there needed to move for a month.

My spot is in an area that isn't really affected by this, but I can see their point.

The other issue is running current. My spot is in the far end of the garage on the opposite side to where the electric rooms are. To run conduit would cost thousands and inconvenience (and I've counted) over 80 other cars. I think my fellow neighbors would agree with me that they wouldn't want someone drilling conduit into a concrete ceiling above their vehicles.

What I am hoping for is that they do start to install additional stations. I've actually stepped forward to offer to pay for most of the costs. I sent a letter to them today. See, our CC&R's and Community Rules/Handbook actually reference individual charging stations in parking spots (forward thinking, it appears). And there's a perfect group of spots for this. 5 double-headed ChargePoint stations would cover the 10 spots and allow 10 EVs to park.

The rules stipulate that a spot could be equipped with a charger. If a charger is installed, you'd need to furnish proof of ownership of an EV or be required to have your spot reassigned. Right now, they're all gas cars. I suspect that will be another fight/challenge in future, since the spots are by the entrance and are very convenient.

Nonetheless, they sit less than 50 feet away from one of the main electrical rooms and could probably be up and running in less than a week.

You are a very accommodating fellow. I'm not sure I would be so agreeable in your situation, considering the personal expense and inconvenience and the fact that law appears to be solidly on your side. I wish you well in finding a solution.