Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S P85+ - fully loaded, nearly new

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our garage has assigned spaces. The HOA's management company is responsible for assigning the spaces. However, none of the spaces are deeded to a specific condominium, and can be reassigned, if necessary.

My HOA does this too

For the time being, the HOA is against individuals installing chargers because of this. We've had a number of repairs - drains, resurfacing, restriping, etc. - take place in the past few months, requiring people to move their cars temporarily. In one instance, a spot was being used to store replacement elevator equipment, and the resident parking there needed to move for a month.

My spot is in an area that isn't really affected by this, but I can see their point.

Sounds like you might have a desirable spot to barter with. Convince someone closer to the electric room to exchange spots.

The other issue is running current. My spot is in the far end of the garage on the opposite side to where the electric rooms are. To run conduit would cost thousands and inconvenience (and I've counted) over 80 other cars. I think my fellow neighbors would agree with me that they wouldn't want someone drilling conduit into a concrete ceiling above their vehicles.

This section of the law deals specifically with your situation. I highlighted the important parts. If you can't barter your spot for the ones that's closer to the electric room, then you could force the management company to give up the space.

"(g) Except as provided in subdivision (h), installation of an electric vehicle charging station for the exclusive use of an owner in a common area, that is not an exclusive use common area, shall be authorized by the association only if installation in the owner’s designated parking space is impossible or unreasonably expensive. In such cases, the association shall enter into a license agreement with the owner for the use of the space in a common area, and the owner shall comply with all of the requirements in subdivision"

What I am hoping for is that they do start to install additional stations. I've actually stepped forward to offer to pay for most of the costs. I sent a letter to them today. See, our CC&R's and Community Rules/Handbook actually reference individual charging stations in parking spots (forward thinking, it appears). And there's a perfect group of spots for this. 5 double-headed ChargePoint stations would cover the 10 spots and allow 10 EVs to park.

The rules stipulate that a spot could be equipped with a charger. If a charger is installed, you'd need to furnish proof of ownership of an EV or be required to have your spot reassigned. Right now, they're all gas cars. I suspect that will be another fight/challenge in future, since the spots are by the entrance and are very convenient.

Nonetheless, they sit less than 50 feet away from one of the main electrical rooms and could probably be up and running in less than a week.

Between the law and the CC&R's, it sounds like you have a VERY good case to take over one of those 10 spots for exclusive use. In fact, it's not even an argument. Once you request one of those spots they MUST give it to you within 60 days. I think you should keep the car and continue fighting.

If you don't want to keep it, PM me. I wouldn't mind taking it off your hands.

By the way. If you install a NEMA outlet instead of an HPWC you don't have to pay for liability insurance. Here's the clause that covers that:

"(g) (4) A homeowner shall not be required to maintain a homeowner liability coverage policy for an existing National Electrical Manufacturers Association standard alternating current power plug."

Tesla on your side!

Transcript of Elon Musk at yesterday's conference call.

For apartment and condos, for their garages there, we actually have loosely formed a group within our sales and service operation team that is able to work with whoever is running the condo or apartment building and tell them what they need to do to install sockets. Then I think what's going to be important long-term, is the ability to load level or limit total electricity power load in an apartment building.

So if there is a lot of cars, you don't want to exceed the total power of going to that building at any one time. So you should cap a peak power limiter that's able to communicate between the cars that are getting charged. Then there are a few companies we are working with in that regard to deal with that sort of peak power load in apartment buildings.

BTW
Does Disney have plugs at WED?