Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S P85+ "motor disabled" question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone may be able to help me on this....my 2013 Model S (I just got the 2022) has a "rear motor disabled, safe to drive" notice on it. The first thing that struck my mind is that I only have a rear motor (they only had one motor back then)?!?! The next notice was "pull over for safety immediately." Now it's not working at all. The screens work, AC, etc...but it doesn't go into gear or move. Luckily this was all in my driveway and not a highway. Here is my question: clearly, it's out of extended warranty, however, I had a new drive unit put on in 2018 and a new motor in 2017. Does Tesla re-warrant the new drivetrain and motor? Or would I at least have a case at debating this with them?

Why would the new drivetrain and motor be out of warranty?

Depending on whether it was new or refurbished it would either be covered by a 1 year or 4 year warranty. As they were replaced in 2017 and 2018 respectively, the warranty period would most likely have passed.

See parts/body/paint limited warranty section here:

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd
Depending on whether it was new or refurbished it would either be covered by a 1 year or 4 year warranty. As they were replaced in 2017 and 2018 respectively, the warranty period would most likely have passed.

See parts/body/paint limited warranty section here:
Parts replaced under the original new vehicle warranty or 8 year battery/drive unit warranty have NO additional warranty whatsoever. They are warranted for the balance of the original warranty, and that’s it.

The parts warranty you cite is only applicable when a customer PAYS for parts or a repair.

Reactions: Gumball