Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S P85 Motor failure again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2013 P85 drive train replaced at 98000 miles to facilitate the alignment of the rear wheels. Under Warranty so happy.

Fails 11,000 miles later 7 months out of 8 year warranty and $7,100 out of my pocket.

I have no idea how to reach out to anyone at Corporate Tesla for some mitigation of the cost of a motor that should have lasted more than 11,000 miles.

Any ideas?

The labor to reinstall a failed part covered under the parts warranty as well:

Coverage Period - Parts
This Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty begins on the Part(s)’ purchase date and
provides coverage for the period of 12 months or 12,500 miles (20,000 km), whichever comes
first, with the exception that specific categories of parts have unique warranty coverage periods
as outlined in the table below:
Sheet Metal Limited Lifetime
Drive Unit* 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km), whichever comes first

Attachments

• Pages from tesla-parts-accessories-body-repair-limited-warranty-en-us (1).pdf
    22.7 KB · Views: 75
  • Love
Reactions: coreywgrant

Coverage Period - Parts
This Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty begins on the Part(s)’ purchase date and
provides coverage for the period of 12 months or 12,500 miles (20,000 km), whichever comes
first, with the exception that specific categories of parts have unique warranty coverage periods
Only applies if you paid for repair.. First motor 11,000 miles ago was warranty and so only a one year warranty and it is 18 months.

Reactions: DerbyDave
It’s unfortunate the replacement drive unit failed again, but there’s nobody to contact at Tesla that is going to be sympathetic to your plight.

Tesla owed you an 8 year drive unit warranty, and they delivered. The fact that it failed once and was replaced under that warranty - whether it was 7 years, 7 months, or 7 days before the warranty expired - is frankly irrelevant.

Coverage Period - Parts
This is good news. I am getting a new Drive Unit installed now with only 4 months left on my 8 year warranty. #bingo