Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S P85 vehicle shut down while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving about 50km/h with about 5-10% throttle, then my rear drive unit went KLUNK and my accelerator pedal stopped responding to my input. After my power stalled out I had to coast into a nearby driveway last second on a busy road. The car would not allow me to put it back into Drive, Neutral or Reverse. I could only put it into TOW mode. Check my attachments for diagnostics and more information. This happened at 4:18pm today.

I just had my drive unit replaced August 2020, and I had my DCDC converter PTC heater fuse replaced several months before that by Tesla SC in Vancouver. Is this a battery or drive inverter issue? My warranty ends on March 28 2021. Very spooky situation, I'm glad I had an opportunity to pull off the main road. Car was towed home and now I have to wait until Monday to hear back from Tesla service about what to do.

Attachments

• 20210313_162137_HDR.jpg
    20210313_162137_HDR.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 263
  • 20210313_182719.jpg
    20210313_182719.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 195
  • Screenshot_20210313-170644.jpg
    Screenshot_20210313-170644.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 145
  • Screenshot_20210313-173220.jpg
    Screenshot_20210313-173220.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 147
  • Screenshot_20210313-173323.jpg
    Screenshot_20210313-173323.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 141
  • Screenshot_20210313-173558.jpg
    Screenshot_20210313-173558.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 147
Wow, I've recently had some very similar problems, see my post here.

Let us know how it goes, I'm very curious. I'm still seeing problems with my car - it has been unable to precondition the battery for a couple months, and the new battery didn't help. Won't warm battery via the app or when heading to supercharger. The Vancouver service centre has said this is normal in cold weather but I know it's not.

Also - what software is that? I'd love to get some info like that from mine, maybe I can see better what the BMS is doing and why I can't charge in the cold or preheat the battery any more. My warranty is up in October, so also want to get this fixed properly.

Wow, I've recently had some very similar problems, see my post here.

Let us know how it goes, I'm very curious. I'm still seeing problems with my car - it has been unable to precondition the battery for a couple months, and the new battery didn't help. Won't warm battery via the app or when heading to supercharger. The Vancouver service centre has said this is normal in cold weather but I know it's not.

Also - what software is that? I'd love to get some info like that from mine, maybe I can see better what the BMS is doing and why I can't charge in the cold or preheat the battery any more. My warranty is up in October, so also want to get this fixed properly.
Version 2020.48.37.1
221,763km on original B type battery pack

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Wow, that's great - with warranty running out so soon too must be a relief.

Fingers crossed you get a new 90kWh. My 100% charge was previously 405 km. With the new battery I'm getting 408 km at 90% charge.

They told me its a 90 B type pack. Interesting how 2 modules are missing. I had 72.5kWh software full pack energy with my previous battery. I'm also getting my rear saggy air suspension and squeaky brake pedal serviced. Really amazing how fast they got that battery pack in.

Here's some screenshots from the root diag portal. Yes it is a huge relief to have this covered within last month of warranty 😳😌
Screenshot_20210317-130448.png
Screenshot_20210317-131324.png

Always great to hear a good SC story. Glad you were safe and that this was dealt with under warranty.
It's not over yet! They say it will be finished by March 22. I'm hoping my air suspension just needs a calibration, and my brake pedal booster boot needs to be cleaned. They called me asking for $2900CAD to match the difference from a 85 to 90... I told them I've been scouting Tesla forums for a long time and haven't heard of anyone else having to pay for a replacement warranty pack that they have in stock... Meanwhile I see that the 90 pack is installed through my root portal. I wonder if it will be even more software locked?

• Informative
It's not over yet! They say it will be finished by March 22. I'm hoping my air suspension just needs a calibration, and my brake pedal booster boot needs to be cleaned. They called me asking for $2900CAD to match the difference from a 85 to 90... I told them I've been scouting Tesla forums for a long time and haven't heard of anyone else having to pay for a replacement warranty pack that they have in stock... Meanwhile I see that the 90 pack is installed through my root portal. I wonder if it will be even more software locked?
I can't believe they asked for $$ to upgrade. It's their responsibility to provide like for like replacement under warranty, otherwise it's their decision to put a newer part in place. I'm not sure if they can software lock to cap pack in this situation. How did they respond when you said not paying for that?

Reactions: chronoreverse
I can't believe they asked for $$ to upgrade. It's their responsibility to provide like for like replacement under warranty, otherwise it's their decision to put a newer part in place. I'm not sure if they can software lock to cap pack in this situation. How did they respond when you said not paying for that?
They apologized for the miscommunication. He then clarified that I can pay $2900CAD to unlock the 5kWh at any time in the future. So my battery is a software limited 90kWh pack. They limited it to 91.6%. I was shocked at first and thought they were going to put a 85kWh in after I denied the $$$ upgrade lol

They apologized for the miscommunication. He then clarified that I can pay $2900CAD to unlock the 5kWh at any time in the future. So my battery is a software limited 90kWh pack. They limited it to 91.6%. I was shocked at first and thought they were going to put a 85kWh in after I denied the $$$ upgrade lol
That’s pretty crappy for them to limit it. You’d think for the inconvenience they’d do you a solid and just give you the battery.

He then clarified that I can pay $2900CAD to unlock the 5kWh at any time in the future. So my battery is a software limited 90kWh pack. They limited it to 91.6%. I was shocked at first and thought they were going to put a 85kWh in after I denied the $$$ upgrade lol
This is great imo.
You get your capacity back as if it was new AND you have the option to unlock the additional capacity.

That’s pretty crappy for them to limit it. You’d think for the inconvenience they’d do you a solid and just give you the battery.
Tesla puts a new battery, with the same capacity as new and the option to upgrade anytime without anything more than pay, as it will happend remotly. And that within a couple of days.

Sure, that’s pretty crappy:rolleyes:

Reactions: dekuramen and SO16
@Siphant, if your battery is now a software locked battery, it means your 100% is thus 91.6%, as you mentioned above.
So it means you can charge to almost 100% if you want, without risk of damaging it.
This is a great point! Had not thought of that. So my 100% charged cells will not reach 4.2V? I will test that. I think 90% will be enough for most of my needs.

Parts ordered:
ASY-HV BATTERY,90KWH,SX
Part #: 1014116-00-B

• Informative

How is it limited if its rooted? Or did you just get snapshots of the screen after they keyed it in?

If it is rooted, how did the service center respond to knowing that detail? Just curious