Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S P85+ vs. 2015 Model S P85D - Need to make a decision soon!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I recently found two used model S's that I am extremely considering. The difference between the two cars in terms of price is 10k. I would like to know if it is worth paying the additional 10k to get the 2015 Model S version. Below are the specs of the two cars:

2013 Model S P85+ :
1) Metallic Grey exterior and black interior
2) Pano roof and 21 inch grey rims
3) No Autopilot
4) Rear Wheel only
5) 11k Miles

2015 Model S P85D
1) Red exterior and black interior
2) Pano roof and 21 inch grey rims
3) Has Autopilot
4) All wheel drive
5) 35k miles

At first the 2015 Model S certainly looks better and is the better car, but I am intrigued that the 2013 model only has 11k miles. So back to the main question, is it worth paying the additional 10k to purchase the 2015 model S?

I appreciate all of your help with this!

Does the 2013 come with a CPO warranty?

Personally I’d go for the 2015. AP is a must for me, driving from the Bay Area to LA is unfathomable now without AP. Officially jaded.

Now if you don’t have long trips you take or a long commute and you can get the 2013 with a CPO warranty, the 10k can be better spent elsewhere.

Reactions: BrokerDon
I had a 2013 P85 for 1 year and now have a 2014 P85D almost 4 years. The P85D is definitely worth the premium. A Model S 75D has the same advertised acceleration as the old P85, meaning it’s great but nothing special anymore. P85D on the other hand is still quicker that anything you’re likely to see on the road besides a P90D or P100D. Then there’s autopilot, many interior improvements, better build quality, and performance suspension (pre-April 2015 cars).

2015 P85D could actually be P85D+, depending on whether it has air suspension and the date of production. The + trim designation was never used with P85D's, so you'd never see it on a badge.

To answer the OP's question, I'd go with P85D for $10K over P85+. Dual motors, more power, and 2 years newer beats less miles, especially if it has a + suspension.

p85d.. crazy impressive performance for the current price. AP is amazing - a must have for any Tesla.
As folks start to learn that these cars will last 500k+ miles, the difference in mileage you are looking at is negligible.

When originally looking for a car I actually wanted a P85 and not the P85D. This was because... (nobody laugh at me!) it has a bigger frunk and we are a 1 car family. Non D would have also been ~$10k cheaper. Ended up with P85D.

After 2 months, I'm super happy with the D
- Performance is amazing and now a key part of what I love about the car
- I think (but cannot confirm) later built cars are more sorted
- I think (but cannot confirm) the D will have more even tire wear
- Love the noise from the front motor, would be a shame to not have it
- Grip of the AWD is just incredible off the line, in the wet, etc etc
- Not an AP fanboy, but its good to have
- Think I have only opened the frunk up once in 2 months ;)

Overall condition is probably more important than the miles. Paint/Interior/Wheels/Tires

Oh, if these are CPO cars, the 2015 may have 4 years warranty versus only 2 for the 2013, that could be a plus.

Just my 2 cents, let us know what you do, either way its a Model S

Personally I would go with the later model 2015. Better features, perhaps better reliability after a couple of years of manufacturing. I can't base this off of anything other than what I read in the forums but being a first model year for S (could be wrong on that BTW), I would take the car that has been broken in a bit and had a few years of production time. Plus AP and dual motors!!!

When originally looking for a car I actually wanted a P85 and not the P85D. This was because... (nobody laugh at me!) it has a bigger frunk and we are a 1 car family. Non D would have also been ~$10k cheaper. Ended up with P85D.

After 2 months, I'm super happy with the D
- Performance is amazing and now a key part of what I love about the car
- I think (but cannot confirm) later built cars are more sorted
- I think (but cannot confirm) the D will have more even tire wear
- Love the noise from the front motor, would be a shame to not have it
- Grip of the AWD is just incredible off the line, in the wet, etc etc
- Not an AP fanboy, but its good to have
- Think I have only opened the frunk up once in 2 months ;)

Overall condition is probably more important than the miles. Paint/Interior/Wheels/Tires

Oh, if these are CPO cars, the 2015 may have 4 years warranty versus only 2 for the 2013, that could be a plus.

Just my 2 cents, let us know what you do, either way its a Model S
While I wholeheartedly agree with you P85D is more fun to drive, I will tell you something about the frunk. My first Tesla was an S60. I used the frunk regularly - it fit my work gear and laptop backback perfectly. Then I upgraded to P85D, open the frunk twice in the last 12 months, once when I need to get to the fusebox to resent my built in radar detector, and once by accident (pressed the wrong end of the keyfob). 2 reasons for not using it:
  1. It's smaller than the old one
  2. The hood seems a lot more flimsy - I used to close the old one with one hand no problem, the new one I'm worried I will crease it.
I did however use it when I did a 6,000 mile round trip coast to coast 2 years ago. I used it to store charging gear (NEMA 14-15 extension, bunch of adapters) and a roll of paper towels and windshield spray to clean my windshield every supercharger stop. :)

My wife's 2017 S75D hood was even more flimsy and frunk even smaller than P85D. We since replaced it with 2018 and I honestly didn't pay attention, but I assume similar to 2017 (or I think I would have noticed). I bet my wife never opened the funk ever, only I did when we first got the car to get the license plate mounting.

@whitex: Great feedback. Bigger frunk would have been really handy, but alas, its only the 2WD Pre-Facelift people who will enjoy that original massive frunk. I can imagine its really great to have. On the other hand, every time I grind the peddle to the floor and the INTERCEPTOR launches itself at the horizon, for some reason I forget about the frunk space :confused:

Regarding the flimsy bonnet, when I collected my CPO they told me specifically to use two hands on either side to close it or else it may bend because its aluminium. Interesting with your experience you think they have got more flimsy over time? Flimsy proportion to the frunk size and expected usage?

@carfan1523: Anyway what did you decide while we are boring you with our chatter? Hmmmmmm....?

Hi All,

First, thank you for taking the time out to respond to my OP, I really appreciate it. After getting additional feedback and reading all of the posts, I decided the 2015 P85D was a better bang for my buck and overall better car. However since then I recently found another 2015 P85D for 60k in price but only 14k in mileage. It's essentially the same car as the red P85D I described in my OP except that this is grey.

I feel like it is worth paying the additional 5k for 20k less mileage. Or does the mileage really even make a difference on a Tesla, and I am worrying too much about it. Thoughts?

Thanks!

@whitexInteresting with your experience you think [Model S hoods] have got more flimsy over time?
I know they did as I watched them on the cars I've owned between 2013 and 2018. If you ever get a chance, check out a 2013 car, those had solid hoods, 2015's got lighter, but in 2017 they got super-light - my guess is Tesla saving money on aluminium plus making the car lighter.

Hi All,

First, thank you for taking the time out to respond to my OP, I really appreciate it. After getting additional feedback and reading all of the posts, I decided the 2015 P85D was a better bang for my buck and overall better car. However since then I recently found another 2015 P85D for 60k in price but only 14k in mileage. It's essentially the same car as the red P85D I described in my OP except that this is grey.

I feel like it is worth paying the additional 5k for 20k less mileage. Or does the mileage really even make a difference on a Tesla, and I am worrying too much about it. Thoughts?

Thanks!
My car has 130k, bought it with 50k. drives the same as the day i bought it. :)