Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S Partial Brickage at Service Now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2013 (CPO) almost completely bricked yesterday. I drove home fine. Went back to the car after a few hours to retrieve something and the doors would not open. Key fobs would not work. Phone app did not work. Tesla central command could not get it to open. The charge port would open via phone and it would take a charge. The AC control acted like it would start AC from app but nothing actually happend.

Tow truck came and after 2 hours of trying to jump start finally just towed it. That was not a pretty sight seeing it dragged a bit.

So I searched the internet and did not see many similar experiences. I really love the car, this lockout thing has me seriously reconsidering the purchase.

I live in the LA area and drive the car everywhere for work. Sometimes I am in the middle of the desert between here and Las Vega. Sometimes I am in the ghetto. Being completely locked out of a vehicle is unnerving and potentially life threatening for me.

Anyone else experience this type of situation ?

• Disagree
  • Love
Reactions: P85_DA and TexasEV
Sounds like your 12V battery died. Simple fix.

BTW, around Teslas, "bricking" has a specific definition - where the main pack has discharged so low (well below 0%) that it is permanently damaged and won't recharge. That doesn't sound like what happened to you.

Reactions: Kacey Green

BTW, around Teslas, "bricking" has a specific definition - where the main pack has discharged so low (well below 0%) that it is permanently damaged and won't recharge. That doesn't sound like what happened to you.

I should have mentioned that the 12v battery was replaced during the annual service last month. I kind of doubt it.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
The only time my car stopped functioning was within a few days after a preemptive 12 volt battery replacement. The new 12 volt battery was bad and had to be replaced again. This was years ago when they were having trouble with their 12 volt batteries so may not be the case now, but I would not discount it just because it is new.

The only time my car stopped functioning was within a few days after a preemptive 12 volt battery replacement. The new 12 volt battery was bad and had to be replaced again. This was years ago when they were having trouble with their 12 volt batteries so may not be the case now, but I would not discount it just because it is new.

Thanks for that bit of info. I would also note no 12vdc warning like I got 2 months ago (literally day before annual).

“Brickage” is clickbait headline. You car isn’t bricked (permanently damage of the main battery). You have a dead 12V. Big deal. Something is causing your 12V to discharge. Tesla will figure it out and fix it. When your ICE wouldn’t start because of a dead battery, did you shout that it was “bricked” or did you just get it fixed?

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA
“Brickage” is clickbait headline. You car isn’t bricked (permanently damage of the main battery). You have a dead 12V. Big deal. Something is causing your 12V to discharge. Tesla will figure it out and fix it. When your ICE wouldn’t start because of a dead battery, did you shout that it was “bricked” or did you just get it fixed?

It is a big deal since I routinely venture to remote places with limited cell. It was 112F at 10 am last week just outside of Baker, CA. If that happens out in the middle of nowhere you could be a goner.

As stated, doors would not open. Ice vehicles doors open with dead batteries like my Lexus es350 with a keyhole in the door.

NOTE EDIT; my Lexus does not have a key hole...the Ford I have does. However if you can’t figure out your 12vdc battery is dying on an es350 before the doors don’t open...I have yet to have that happen. I have locked my keys inside on old cars but I haven’t done that in 20+ years plus the advent of keyfobs.

Thanks for your zero input to this thread.

Last edited:
Ok the update is that the 12vdc battery died. Of course I am in shock that it went 2 months on a new one before failing without warning, I just changed it due to the warning at annual service (coincidence).

I am certain it did not need towing and all that drama and potential for damage. I know how they opened it now, you need an airbag and a hook stick to pop the hood. I think a good ranger could have done that and Tesla wanted to tow it. It was safer in my garage. I’ve had two tesla rangers at my house, both great dudes. They tow truck driver was sketchy. Next time if it happens, i’m not towing it, they are sending a tesla ranger if it’s still warranty. If it’s not, I’m calling the dudes they’ve sent, i’ve got their cell numbers,

So lesson learned on that one unnerving as it is. First lesson is that I guess it’s happened to at least 2 of us (and in fairness, maybe the summer was too harsh on the battery where i’ve been taking it too). Let’s hope this 12vdc lasts longer and i’ll be darned if another OEM goes back in.....second lesson is that it absolutely does not need to be towed, that implies far more serious trouble. That sets off a whole new set of dangers in the act of towing itself.

Although I am slightly buoyed by the fact my laptop is quite safe in the frunk...no one’s popping that.

It didn’t help the dash display rebooted twice on the way home. It did drive just as good no damage from the tow.

While it wa there they did the recall on it for the steering bolts, so whatever now I don’t need to mess with it.

I’ve got less than a year left on the CPO warranty and I will be darned if it gets towed again over a 12vdc battery.

AAA popped mine open with the bag n stick but messed up my tint. BUT they drove it onto the truck after jumping the battery. They should have tried that for you so as not to damage your car. AAA guy said he went to Tesla and they taught him about the car and he was pretty knowledgeable.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Update to the 12vdc battery drama:

Have you seen the procedure to change the 12vdc battery? Smh!

YouTube The Tesla Technician (bless his heart) shows a diy that seemingly takes “awhile” and I am not sure was worth any savings. It’s complicated. Nothing I can’t handle but nothing that a ranger can’t handle. They sent a ranger to do the airbag in my garage so this could have been easily done by a ranger and not towing the car.

At any rate looks to be a relatively simple PITA that needs an OEM battery. Check out the YouTube video for the rundown

Ok the update is that the 12vdc battery died. Of course I am in shock that it went 2 months on a new one before failing without warning, I just changed it due to the warning at annual service (coincidence).

I am certain it did not need towing and all that drama and potential for damage. I know how they opened it now, you need an airbag and a hook stick to pop the hood. I think a good ranger could have done that and Tesla wanted to tow it. It was safer in my garage. I’ve had two tesla rangers at my house, both great dudes. They tow truck driver was sketchy. Next time if it happens, i’m not towing it, they are sending a tesla ranger if it’s still warranty. If it’s not, I’m calling the dudes they’ve sent, i’ve got their cell numbers,

So lesson learned on that one unnerving as it is. First lesson is that I guess it’s happened to at least 2 of us (and in fairness, maybe the summer was too harsh on the battery where i’ve been taking it too). Let’s hope this 12vdc lasts longer and i’ll be darned if another OEM goes back in.....second lesson is that it absolutely does not need to be towed, that implies far more serious trouble. That sets off a whole new set of dangers in the act of towing itself.

Although I am slightly buoyed by the fact my laptop is quite safe in the frunk...no one’s popping that.

It didn’t help the dash display rebooted twice on the way home. It did drive just as good no damage from the tow.

While it wa there they did the recall on it for the steering bolts, so whatever now I don’t need to mess with it.

I’ve got less than a year left on the CPO warranty and I will be darned if it gets towed again over a 12vdc battery.