Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S rear door opens by itself : I removed it and all cables/gear look fine. Need advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the issue I had, I fixed this a while ago, was that I had to adjust the "presentation stopper" micro switch, which is seen in the attached photo as switch #1.
This switch stops the door handle presenting movement, so it stops it right before the handle triggers the "opener" (#2) microswitch.
However, in my case, I somehow couldn't adjust the "stopper" screw, so what I had to do instead was to bend the spring outwards ever so slightly so that it will hit the screw earlier and will stop the motor earlier, thus will not hit the opener/unlatch switch and unlatch the door unintentionally.

The last switch in the picture (#3) I believe is the retraction detection/presentation trigger switch which will basically see if the door handle is in "retracted" position or not, and if so, present it.

So when you push the unlock button, the order of invocation is as follows:
- Switch 3 - detects the door is retracted, activate the motor
- Motor pushes the door handle out
- Switch 1 - detects the door handle is presented to the correct point and STOPS the motor >>>> this function was bad in mine
- Once presented, a human pulls the door handle, which activates Switch 2 that will unlatch/open the door
On retraction, the opposite is happening.

Hope this makes sense.

overall_view_final.jpg
presentation_switch.jpg