Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S rear door opens by itself : I removed it and all cables/gear look fine. Need advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn’t realize this was a thing! I thought the poltergeist who occasionally visits my garage was to blame.

My 2021 Plaid passenger side rear door does this randomly / occasionally. It doesn’t open the door when the handles present, but I have found the passenger side rear door gently open while the car is just sitting there in the garage

Sometimes the distance of 1 microswitch is to narrow and needs adjustment. What happens is that the handle comes out and normally you pull the handle and the microswitch make contact but now the handle comes out and the microswitch will make contact so the door opens before pulling the handle.

Just set the adjustment screw behind the left microswitch 1mm more away from the microswitch (picture 6) and retry.
I'm a rookie DiY rev 2 RR door handle adjuster. So looking at the flat head screw adjustment on the handle, do I turn to the right 1mm? Is that equal to an eighth or quarter turn of the screw?

I'm a rookie DiY rev 2 RR door handle adjuster. So looking at the flat head screw adjustment on the handle, do I turn to the right 1mm? Is that equal to an eighth or quarter turn of the screw?
Trial and error my friend. If you to do much only thing that will happen is the door won't unlock or with (too) much force. I would say try something like 90 degrees clockwise first. Good luck

Here we go for the pictures from the video. Hope this will help you all. I must mention that since the repair, most often the handle won’t extend when I touch it, I need to have it extend by touching the front door handle which is not a big issue for me. Unless it completely fails again, I’m not putting my hands repairing the rear door handles as it’s very tight spaced compared to the front door handles.

In a side note, if I may somewhat pirate my own thread, I also repaired a pivot gear on my front right door but since, the handles stays extended(without causing any other functional issue else than aesthetics). If any of you know of what adjustments I need to make to correct this, I’d be grateful. Just as an added note, if we pull ever so slightly on it it retracts and we simply have to press on it for it to extend once more. I must add that the friction point must have «dulled»(correct English?) itself a bit as it’s less and less frequent for this situation to occur (it’s been six months since I repaired it but being a bit busy, haven’t had much time to look at it). Also not knowing how to solve the issue did not help motivate me to find time to tackle the issue. You all have a great end of Sunday

Attachments

• EC2780EB-051D-441F-9EB4-717EEBBF3178.png
    EC2780EB-051D-441F-9EB4-717EEBBF3178.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 519
  • ACDAB5FD-3CA7-4C5F-9F13-7BCBB68D6940.png
    ACDAB5FD-3CA7-4C5F-9F13-7BCBB68D6940.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 259
  • 5BC8373A-4480-4C40-BA94-5D2F6499F124.png
    5BC8373A-4480-4C40-BA94-5D2F6499F124.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 257
Reactions: latin75
Here we go for the pictures from the video. Hope this will help you all. I must mention that since the repair, most often the handle won’t extend when I touch it, I need to have it extend by touching the front door handle which is not a big issue for me. Unless it completely fails again, I’m not putting my hands repairing the rear door handles as it’s very tight spaced compared to the front door handles.

In a side note, if I may somewhat pirate my own thread, I also repaired a pivot gear on my front right door but since, the handles stays extended(without causing any other functional issue else than aesthetics). If any of you know of what adjustments I need to make to correct this, I’d be grateful. Just as an added note, if we pull ever so slightly on it it retracts and we simply have to press on it for it to extend once more. I must add that the friction point must have «dulled»(correct English?) itself a bit as it’s less and less frequent for this situation to occur (it’s been six months since I repaired it but being a bit busy, haven’t had much time to look at it). Also not knowing how to solve the issue did not help motivate me to find time to tackle the issue. You all have a great end of Sunday
Thanks @hydro for these pics.
You mentioned the handle won't extend when you touch it, did you maybe disable handle presentation? Mine also doesn't do this except for driver's door, but I've disabled presentation since the passenger rear door handle always opens the door.

In the video, there is not much other than what is illustrated in the three pictures I posted above. On the third picture, the screwdriver is position on the screw that determines the sensitivity of the door handle. That screw is either too low, correctly positioned or too high. All you have to do is play around with that screw (either going left or right) and test if it is correcting the situation by reconnecting the handle's wires and activating the door handle mechanism from another handle (have the car do a handle extension) and see if it does it correctly on your problematic handle. You can do such a test without reinstalling the door handle in the door. Only attaching the cables to the mechanism will tell you if it corrected the situation. It can be done alone (the test) but having another person could make it easier to test. I did it alone. Good luck. Cheers

Hello, I have the issue too could you pm me and I will share my email? Thank yo so much!
What year is your model S?
Mine is Signature series and I finally fixed it.
Similar to @hydro 's pic #1 above (2013 Model S rear door opens by itself : I removed it and all cables/gear look fine. Need advice) but the only issue is that microswitch in mine isn't torx screw, and I can't even seem to turn it. What I ended up doing is bending the microswitch spring a bit to extend its "finger" so that it activates the switch a bit earlier when hitting the screw so that it stops handle presentation right before it hits the door latch opener switch.