Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S sudden battery failure

islandbayy

Feb 25, 2013
Greendale, Wisconsin
still in warranty? I wonder if it will no longer be "fine" once the warranty is up and you'll get a "charge level reduced" message...
Thankfully 3 more years. November 2016 Build for my MX. Has gone down hill in supercharging rates too. at 50% SOC, it's like a brick wall and will drop from around 90kW to around 50kW. Peak charge rate currently seems to be around 112kW. 3 months ago I could hit 138kW peak. Temperature makes no difference on the peak.
Oh I'm dang sure it will "fail" a week or two after warranty is up. Making sure I have enough "Concern" noted with service where if that happens, I can go back and say it was an existing issue.

WhiteWi

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Feb 21, 2021
Somewhere in Universe
Thankfully 3 more years. November 2016 Build for my MX. Has gone down hill in supercharging rates too. at 50% SOC, it's like a brick wall and will drop from around 90kW to around 50kW. Peak charge rate currently seems to be around 112kW. 3 months ago I could hit 138kW peak. Temperature makes no difference on the peak.
Oh I'm dang sure it will "fail" a week or two after warranty is up. Making sure I have enough "Concern" noted with service where if that happens, I can go back and say it was an existing issue.
Or just sell it while used market is hot

raphy3

May 5, 2017
Elsewhere
only problem is you also have to buy a car to replace the on you sold, potentially, so if it's also used, you lose out. OTOH, buying a new car and getting $7500 tax credit could be interesting. Only problem is Tesla doesn't have that anymore. I wonder how long till we get new EV credits, and how much it will be for Tesla.

Reactions: WhiteWi

eskies_two

Mar 6, 2015
Irvington, NY
Wendy did you get a reply to this? I'm in the same boat as you and I'm here in Menlo Park. I Tried for mercy at the Pal Alto service center when my 2013 P85 battery stopped taking a charge 2 weeks after the warranty expired (expired 9/21/21). I stopped driving it with 130 on the battery and with the slow drain every day, I have 90 miles left until it's completely dead.
The Service center folks are all super friendly and act like they care but at the end of the day the shop manager says he can't do anything because his hands are tied by the regional manager. All they offer is the $25,000.00 HV replacement or $12,000.00 refurbished replacement with a 4 year/50,000mile warranty. Gruber in AZ isn't really a good way to go IMO since you'll pay 5-6k minimum for fixing a single module (more bad modules will increase the price) plus you have to pay to truck it to and from AZ to have the work done. I'm assuming that fix will run in the neighborhood of $8k-$9k and the downside is they only provide a 1 year warranty plus they are backlogged 6 months on the Model S.
I'd love to hear how you are progressing with the service centers here on the peninsula? I would really like to know who the regional managers are and how to contact them.
Following...interesting that my 2013 P85+ was exactly 14 days out of warranty! HV at >$22k out of pocket quoted. I am disgruntled enough as an owner, practically an early adopter, as a shareholder this seems to be the tip of the iceberg of a bigger problem. Quite a few of the early year owners were/are people of influence. I hope one with the right PR and reach, expose this.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi

islandbayy

Feb 25, 2013
Greendale, Wisconsin
Still not worth it. As raphy3 said, I'd still need to replace the vehicle(s). Sure I could go down to a 3 or y, but those are too much of a sacrifice. This is the wrong place to nit pick the differences, but they are too great.
I'm also grandfathered in for premium data on both vehicles, already upgraded both to MCU2, so got a lot of the add-ons there. I'm grandfathered in for unlimited supercharging for the life of the vehicle. I drive 45k/year, so that supercharging alone makes it worth while. Seems my 90d MS's battery has leveled off with degradation for now, at 248 miles per charge and a pack capacity of 73kWh. So as long as I can live with that range, I'm "OK". 3-4 years ago, I don't think I could live with that range, but with so many superchargers now, it's not so bad. My first MS was a MS60, with a 100% charge at new of 209.
My MX75D range is now about 209 at 100% charge with a pack capacity of about 65kWh. Where as I can nail the range spot on with the MS, the MX, I'm LUCKY to get 75% of the rated range in the summer and difficult to hit 50% rated range in the winter unless I kill the heat. The MX is mostly used as an in-town vehicle. We use the MS for longer drives, Milwaukee to Chitcago, or other long distance depending on what I need to get done, the MX is great around town car and 7 passenger when the In-Laws visit (for 6 months at a crack!)

Reactions: Rocky_H

raphy3

May 5, 2017
Elsewhere
I am selling my S and placed order for Y. :)
tempting, but I would get fomo if the new bill passed and suddenly we can get $7500 off of a Tesla. I think that might push me to get a 3LR. Although as @islandbayy said the tradeoffs might be harsh and I haven't fully evaluated that yet (I know I'm going to miss the huuuuuge frunk, which I use like 4-5 times per year, so it's probably irrational to worry about it)

edit to add: are people interested in making a new thread that evaluates the tradeoffs of selling old S, getting new 3 or Y? I haven't looked around to see if it already exists yet.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC