Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S - Tesla no longer makes Headlamps for this car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our 2013 Model S is in the body shop to replace front end parts, including the passenger side headlamp, which melted when nearby barns burned down.

The shop notified me that Tesla no longer makes the headlamp for our car, so requires us to buy a newer/different headlamp $1,540.00. [Okay... insurance will pay for it.] Then they said that for both headlamps to work and look the same, both need to be replaced ! [They are waiting for word from insurance on the other one.]

I'm pessimistic about insurance covering the matching headlamp, and am very annoyed at Tesla for putting us in this situation. It has us reconsidering future purchases, including the Cybertruck we reserved in Nov. 2019. :mad:

I understand your pain. My April 2013 Model S was hit by another driver who cut a left turn too sharply and hit my left front end. The front fender and one headlamp was damaged. Police cited the other driver. The body shop told me the same thing ... both headlamps had to be replaced. At that time, the price was $1,400 each. The other driver's insurance company had to pay.

BTW, I'm putting up the original headlamps for sale. See For Sale section if interested.

The very early Teslas had Halogen lamps as the standard which were rather weak. The optional $3750 Tech package had upgraded headlights. I think in late 2013 Tesla discontinued the Halogen headlights and made the Xeon headlights standard. Later they changed to LED headlights. It would be interesting to know which headlights they are making available now as replacements - but I suspect they will be better than what you currently have.

This isn't uncommon, manufacturers stop making/stocking parts for vehicles. How long do you think they should stock replacements for?

It is the worst with early/low volume vehicles.

At least Tesla has an official replacement part that works. (I recently had an ICE car totaled because two parts were no longer available from the OEM, and insurance would not pay for/use salvage, or third party, parts. It worked out good for me, I kept the car and had it fixed with salvage parts for way less than they paid me.)