Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S totalled by...a trailer hitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I haven't posted on here in years, but I wanted to get your opinion on something.

We were driving the other day in our 2013 S85, when the truck in front of us dropped something off the trailer it was towing. Tried to avoid it, but couldn't- swerved the and object his the left wheel well, causing an awful grinding sound and a flat tire-- pulled over to the side of the busy road-- the truck in front was blissfully unaware and sped off.
Turned out to be a trailer hitch. Towed to the nearby Tesla Certified Autobody shop and waited for the estimate.

Bottom line, I shouldn't have swerved and had faith in the "shield", but since I didn't, the repair estimate came back from the body shop at $31K + labor, with a cost of $22.5k for the battery, which was damaged, somehow, so a total of $8500 to the vehicle.

The insurance came up with a figure of $26K + labor with a cost of $22.5 k for the battery-- so only $4k of damage to the vehicle itself. The rest of the car is undamaged, the battery seems to be holding charge (still had 138 mile range when I rechecked the car after they took the front end off and it even starts up)

They want to total the car-- and I told them no! The actual structural damage is fixable ($4-8K, depending on who's estimate you look at.

Their contention is that Tesla will not re-certify cars that have been "totaled". I told them that the battery cost shouldn't be included in the "totaled" estimate because it's a replaceable part, like a tire. I asked them to just fix the mechanical damage, don't include the battery in the estimate and I'll pay Tesla directly for the replacement battery. (AND get a new insurance company).

It feels like they're in a hurry to total the car, which is in otherwise great shape. Of course, the amount they would give me is pretty poor and I'd rather just have my car back, cursed VIN or not.

Does this sound legit to you? It sounds like Tesla, the autobody shop and the insurance just want to be done with it and take the car. I can't afford to buy a new Tesla and I certainly don't want to go back to driving an ICE. I'm going to try to fight for my car, as it's cheaper for me to just buy a damned battery than it is to try to replace it with something similar.

I've reached out to the Service Manager at our Local Center- but have yet to hear back from them. I asked them basically what was Tesla's line and would it be feasible to have the body shop just take out the battery, fix the rest of the damage. I would tow the car to the Service Center to have them install a new battery...does that seem reasonable?

Do you think I stand a chance? I don't want to lose my beloved S for something like $8k of damage and a replaceable part...

Thanks!

06bbc0bbee614c9a96313bf7dc89eb53_904733246024_PHOTOS__Page_0001_Image_0001.jpg 06bbc0bbee614c9a96313bf7dc89eb53_904733246034_PHOTOS__Page_0001_Image_0001.jpg 06bbc0bbee614c9a96313bf7dc89eb53_904733247769_PHOTOS__Page_0001_Image_0001.jpg 06bbc0bbee614c9a96313bf7dc89eb53_904733247786_PHOTOS__Page_0001_Image_0001.jpg 06bbc0bbee614c9a96313bf7dc89eb53_904733247802_PHOTOS__Page_0001_Image_0001.jpg 06bbc0bbee614c9a96313bf7dc89eb53_904733248826_PHOTOS__Page_0001_Image_0001.jpg 06bbc0bbee614c9a96313bf7dc89eb53_904733249128_PHOTOS__Page_0001_Image_0001.jpg 06bbc0bbee614c9a96313bf7dc89eb53_904733249130_PHOTOS__Page_0001_Image_0001.jpg IMG_3990.JPG

Do you not want them to total the car, or do you not like the price they are offering you? Generally it is their prerogative to total the car rather than repair it, but they need to make you whole less your deductible. That means you should be compensated sufficiently to buy a car of similar vintage.

What price are they offering you? Who's your insurance company? And did you ask for a price to buy it back if they do total it? What's your mileage and options? All data points we'd need to know to help give you feedback. Your insurance company may like totaling it if they can pay your $30k, but then turn around and re-sell it for $20k+ since there's still a strong market for damaged S85s (eg, Rich Rebuilds).

When my S85 was backed into, Service King of Chicago wrote up the repair for about $4,400 total. State Farm (at fault driver's company) sent me a check for half ($2,200), insisting my labor rates in Iowa were much lower (in spite of zero authorized repair shops in Iowa that could get the needed Tesla parts). Seems many insurance companies like to start at 50 cents on the dollar. In the end, I had to have my S85 towed a few hours for the repair (at State Farm's expense), and the final bill paid by State Farm was right around that $4,400. And they also paid for loss of use for the 33 days in the repair shop. It wasn't a pleasant experience, as State Farm refused to be reasonable in the beginning. Eventually they came around.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: robby
They haven't come with a total offer yet-- still waiting for Tesla to get back to them for something. Maybe it's an emotional attachment-- seems wasteful to total the car if it's fixable. I guess if they do give enough to cover the cost of a CPO, I'll bite the bullet and say goodbye and move on...

They haven't come with a total offer yet-- still waiting for Tesla to get back to them for something. Maybe it's an emotional attachment-- seems wasteful to total the car if it's fixable. I guess if they do give enough to cover the cost of a CPO, I'll bite the bullet and say goodbye and move on...

Not sure what options you have or mileage but you should have some values ready as they will try and lowball ..if u look at prices for 85s they are anywhere from mid 30s to low 50s

Reactions: 2012MS85
How many miles did you have on your car ?
If you shop around maybe you find a replacement with fewer miles. Here is one that is a 2014 for only 37,600.
85 kWh Model S 5YJSA1H10EFP33666 | Tesla

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler and P85_DA
How many miles did you have on your car ?
If you shop around maybe you find a replacement with fewer miles. Here is one that is a 2014 for only 37,600.
85 kWh Model S 5YJSA1H10EFP33666 | Tesla

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

I've decided to stop fighting the process-- many calls and many pleadings later, the insurance companies, body shops and Tesla itself all seem intent on sending my car to the scrap heap, based solely on actuarial tables. Thought I could convince someone, but no.
Feels weird to feel so bad about the loss of a car-- I've been through many vehicles before, but somehow, this one hurts. Maybe it's because the way it went out: thought a trailer hitch couldn't total a car. Maybe because, when I sat in the car for the last time, it felt fine, like nothing was wrong. Maybe it's because when we ordered the car, the Model S was just released and represented a brighterr, greener future vision...I won't be able to afford a new Tesla for a while, and I'm sad to say, my experience with Corporate and their quick washing hands of my vehicle, has left a bad taste in my mouth for now. I'm back in the ICE world, and it truly feels paleolithic. To anyone else who's lost a Tesla: I feel ya. To everyone else who has one: enjoy! First world problems for me truly, and in the end, it was a great ride.
So, RIP P134**. 6/2013-11/2018.

On to the next adventure.

I just recently sold my 2012 Model S and replaced it with a new AWD Model 3. For me it was a good move. The model S was a great car, but Tesla has learned a few things in the last 6 years and it shows in the new Model 3. Something to think about.

Good luck to you and that next adventure, whatever it is.

Reactions: JohnnyG