Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S won't boot up or drive after parked overnight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2013 P85+. I parked it in my garage as usual and it had 50% charge. I had the 12v battery replaced about a year ago because I received a warning that it was low then. I had the MCU and associated screens and computers replaced about 8 months ago and haven't had many issues with it. A few days before this event, when I started the car in the morning, it would go into drive but the screens and computers wouldn't boot up until I held the 2 buttons to force a restart, which worked. When I attempted this restart nothing happened this time.

In the morning:
  • Door handles will open
  • Pressing on the brake pedal makes that whirring noise
  • Pressing on the Park button sometimes makes a noise
  • Headlights automatically turn on
  • Car will not go into drive or reverse
  • Car screens will not turn on
  • No AC or other functions will work
  • Tesla App cannot connect to car
Tesla said they won't have a mobile technician look at it because they could not connect to it remotely. They said I have to have it towed to Jacksonville to have it looked at $2200 for a two way tow. (absurd that there aren't more mobile technicians with more capability in my area yet, or a service center, but that's another problem)

I can't afford this and I have a feeling it's something simple. Or even if it's more complex I can't really afford spending thousands on tows.

What are my options?

Any tips that I can try at home to fix?

Are we allowed to discuss 3rd party repair options on here?

I could really use some quality help.

Thank you

Low voltage works:
Headlights work
Doors work
The whirring parking brakes on and off work

High voltage doesn't:
HVAC
Propulsion.

But I agree that it doesn't hurt to try to see whether a good 12V would make any difference.
A weak battery could potentially power some of the accessories but not be able to close the contactors.

Might be a long shot but an easy first step to rule out something simple.

Reactions: android04
do you have MCU2?
even with HV failure or DU failure, the MCU usually boots up...
i'm sure you could find a private car carrier to take it there for 350-500... it's a one way tow (why the quote for 2 way?)
DC-DC unit busted?

I'm in Tallahassee and service center is in Jacksonville so I'd need it towed there and back to me. I wouldn't be able to get a ride there, or rental car. Too busy to take a day off for the road trip probably.

They told me over the phone they saw high voltage errors so that seems bad. But it could be connectors or bad module. I'm planning for worst case scenario.

$2200 for tow, $15,000 for new battery and probably $3000 in random other charges/fixes/taxes etc. Feeling pretty down. Pretty damn unhappy right now. I treated my battery and car super well. Rarely supercharged, only charged at home to 80%, garage kept, not driven hard etc etc. I did everything I could to avoid this.

Tesla is just making it so painful to get serviced, and customer service is brutal. I understand that people living in large cities aren't as put out. For the rest of us, it's a nightmare.

$2200 for tow, $15,000 for new battery and probably $3000 in random other charges/fixes/taxes etc. Feeling pretty down. Pretty damn unhappy right now. I treated my battery and car super well. Rarely supercharged, only charged at home to 80%, garage kept, not driven hard etc etc. I did everything I could to avoid this.
This is not making sense: Vehicle transport is $1500 across the country, yet $1100 for a 2.5 hour drive across Florida?

Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 1.46.13 AM.png

That's terrible news about Electrified Garage. I'll still reach out to them this week for an opinion. Looking like I'll have to succumb to Tesla's insanely horrible customer service and costs. :(

I think that's the biggest downside to Tesla, customer service, and vehicle service. I love the car but can't buy another one because of these reasons.

That's terrible news about Electrified Garage. I'll still reach out to them this week for an opinion. Looking like I'll have to succumb to Tesla's insanely horrible customer service and costs. :(

I think that's the biggest downside to Tesla, customer service, and vehicle service. I love the car but can't buy another one because of these reasons.
I admit I have gotten the run around in the past dealing with a few issues, like right now trying to figure out how to buy a simple part from Tesla, as they are transitioning from over the counter to me allegedly being able to order it myself online, but after having been to (edit) two different service centres in the province I live in several times each, with the exception of a couple of newbies, I have had nothing but excellent communication and courteous professional service.

Last edited:

Let me know if you hear otherwise from EG. initially they were going to to a diagnostic but then reached out to me to tell me they can’t do it. It’s was good of them so I didn’t have to spend the money to ship the car and back.

I also heard from Brian (the gentle giant on their YouTube channel) which was cool.