Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S won't boot up or drive after parked overnight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like they backed it into some concrete wall then were like oops hope he doesn't notice, even though it's throwing parking assistant errors now. One of the sensors looks like it's been jostled some. Just so bizarre that they do these things and just send them out the door like it's completely acceptable. I've just never experienced anything like this before. I'm half confused and half grumpy.

View attachment 885985View attachment 885986
That’s a significant amount of damage to hope the customer doesn’t notice.
I’ve had a parking sensor on the rear bumper kinda cave inside the bumper and never had any parking assistance errors.

Your experience is crazy to say the least, keep us posted on what tesla says about this, my biggest worry would be them flat out denying causing the damage.

Reading all these pages is like reading a mystery script, except that it isn’t. I’ve noticed the OP often predicts the upcoming fiasco in advance of the next chapter. You read the next chapter and sure enough it all has come true. This is definitely odd.

Reactions: tesluv108
Reading all these pages is like reading a mystery script, except that it isn’t. I’ve noticed the OP often predicts the upcoming fiasco in advance of the next chapter. You read the next chapter and sure enough it all has come true. This is definitely odd.
Agreed. It just seems like a joke at this point. Comedy of errors. I think it's a combination of old car, new techs, mostly unsupported software and hardware at this point, lack of resources and training, way too much demand for service, some bad luck. Tesla just seems unprepared for customer service and follow up on sales. It's 100% focused on production and no forward thinking on their part.

I'll keep updating. The service advisor knows all of this is on social media too. I told him people are following the story. I'm an old school Tesla supporter long before the Model 3. I've taken it to EV exhibition shows and been active on social media for years. That's partly why I'm so astounded they're floundering with the car so badly. Like nobody said anything when they crashed the car, nobody noticed the Park Assistant error on the screens? It could all be intentional by a disgruntled tech but I don't know. It's a mystery indeed.

*Tesla said they'd look into it next week and think it was towing service's fault. Towing service said they took pictures at pickup and not their fault.

IMG_0349.jpeg

Last edited:
Dude has been here since 2017. What motivation does he have to lie?

If huffing ElonFarts is your thing, there’s a place for that now, it’s called Twitter.
Nope I’m definitely not into elon and his latest antics. If any part of this story is real, Tesla should be extremely nervous about staying in business. However this reads like a fiction novel, and op has many chances to show proof with invoices but never does. He does however put a large amount of effort into his posts bashing Tesla.

Reactions: Droschke
I have a 2013 P85+. I parked it in my garage as usual and it had 50% charge. I had the 12v battery replaced about a year ago because I received a warning that it was low then. I had the MCU and associated screens and computers replaced about 8 months ago and haven't had many issues with it. A few days before this event, when I started the car in the morning, it would go into drive but the screens and computers wouldn't boot up until I held the 2 buttons to force a restart, which worked. When I attempted this restart nothing happened this time.

In the morning:
  • Door handles will open
  • Pressing on the brake pedal makes that whirring noise
  • Pressing on the Park button sometimes makes a noise
  • Headlights automatically turn on
  • Car will not go into drive or reverse
  • Car screens will not turn on
  • No AC or other functions will work
  • Tesla App cannot connect to car
Tesla said they won't have a mobile technician look at it because they could not connect to it remotely. They said I have to have it towed to Jacksonville to have it looked at $2200 for a two way tow. (absurd that there aren't more mobile technicians with more capability in my area yet, or a service center, but that's another problem)

I can't afford this and I have a feeling it's something simple. Or even if it's more complex I can't really afford spending thousands on tows.

What are my options?

Any tips that I can try at home to fix?

Are we allowed to discuss 3rd party repair options on here?

I could really use some quality help.

Thank you
Hello. I’m very sorry to hear about your issues. I have the same exact car and it seems like I might have the same problem. I am a mechanic on the side so I usually can replace things myself. Do you and idea what part they ended up replacing on your car?
I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Hello. I’m very sorry to hear about your issues. I have the same exact car and it seems like I might have the same problem. I am a mechanic on the side so I usually can replace things myself. Do you and idea what part they ended up replacing on your car?

They are tight lipped about what they changed but they swapped the battery for sure and some connectors. The last thing they told me was they didn't reattach a connector correctly and it killed the car. But, I'm dubious of everything these days. But, knock on wood, so far the car is driving.

My guess is my first battery was never bad. It was just a faulty connector that had corroded and come loose. But they just replace the battery as a default and charge the customer a fortune. I don't know anything for sure though.

Currently my parking sensors are broken, the car is throwing a parking sensor error code and chiming, and the rear bumper has significant body damage. Waiting on Tesla to reply on how they'd like to proceed with these new issues.

In the sunlight I'm noticing a lot more scratches all over the car as well. As someone who hand washes their car frequently and kept it in excellent condition for many years, it's really disheartening to see it treated like *sugar* and damaged.

Sounds like HV fault and therefore 12v battery running low from no HV recharge. Do you hear contactors closing?

They reached out today and said they'd cover the damages but I need to get it repaired myself. Of course Tesla won't allow bodyshops to work on their vehicles unless preapproved. So the nearest one to me is 3 hours away. Of course.

Silliness continues. None of this is being done correctly. Things are not boding well.

I have a 2013 P85+. I parked it in my garage as usual and it had 50% charge. I had the 12v battery replaced about a year ago because I received a warning that it was low then. I had the MCU and associated screens and computers replaced about 8 months ago and haven't had many issues with it. A few days before this event, when I started the car in the morning, it would go into drive but the screens and computers wouldn't boot up until I held the 2 buttons to force a restart, which worked. When I attempted this restart nothing happened this time.

In the morning:
  • Door handles will open
  • Pressing on the brake pedal makes that whirring noise
  • Pressing on the Park button sometimes makes a noise
  • Headlights automatically turn on
  • Car will not go into drive or reverse
  • Car screens will not turn on
  • No AC or other functions will work
  • Tesla App cannot connect to car
Tesla said they won't have a mobile technician look at it because they could not connect to it remotely. They said I have to have it towed to Jacksonville to have it looked at $2200 for a two way tow. (absurd that there aren't more mobile technicians with more capability in my area yet, or a service center, but that's another problem)

I can't afford this and I have a feeling it's something simple. Or even if it's more complex I can't really afford spending thousands on tows.

What are my options?

Any tips that I can try at home to fix?

Are we allowed to discuss 3rd party repair options on here?

I could really use some quality help.

Thank you
Your in Florida, look up electrified garage. They are your friends and I'm sure can help with a Tow. Rich and them are great guys and fix things on these cars for a fraction of the stealership

Wow I just got through this whole thing didnt realize it was a saga so disregard my last post. What a complete nightmare, and I think your right it prob was never the battery to begin with. What a disgrace for a SC

EG said they couldn't help. Battery has long been replaced now.

Currently the parking sensors are broken, steering at lock creates a clunking since steering bolts recall was done, and the service center scratched up the back of the car real bad. They said they'd take a look at it if I drop it off in Jacksonville which is a no-go for me. 3 hours away. I'm screwed and Tesla screwed me.

I watched the investor meeting video and they discretely skipped over post-sales and service because they know that's a weak point. Just 1 slide about how quickly they are going through service requests. Shame on Tesla. They broke my car and charged me 15k and wasted 6+ months of my time plus trips to Jacksonville just to end up with a scratched up broken car. I used to hand wash it and baby the car. Now I'm just letting it stay dirty. No sense cleaning a scratched up car with warning lights always on and making clunking noises when you turn in parking lots.

My only hope now is they build a service center in Tallahassee which they've said was coming, "soon" back in 2016. No ETA.

All you newbies out there be thankful you're still under warranty and in a city with a service center. As soon as that warranty ends, or there's a complication, or you don't live near a service center, you will be treated like crap and never get your car fixed. When they come out with a new model they will 100% forget how to fix your current car and stop making parts for it.

I was an early adopter and this is my punishment for having an early example.

EG said they couldn't help. Battery has long been replaced now.

Currently the parking sensors are broken, steering at lock creates a clunking since steering bolts recall was done, and the service center scratched up the back of the car real bad. They said they'd take a look at it if I drop it off in Jacksonville which is a no-go for me. 3 hours away. I'm screwed and Tesla screwed me.

I watched the investor meeting video and they discretely skipped over post-sales and service because they know that's a weak point. Just 1 slide about how quickly they are going through service requests. Shame on Tesla. They broke my car and charged me 15k and wasted 6+ months of my time plus trips to Jacksonville just to end up with a scratched up broken car. I used to hand wash it and baby the car. Now I'm just letting it stay dirty. No sense cleaning a scratched up car with warning lights always on and making clunking noises when you turn in parking lots.

My only hope now is they build a service center in Tallahassee which they've said was coming, "soon" back in 2016. No ETA.

All you newbies out there be thankful you're still under warranty and in a city with a service center. As soon as that warranty ends, or there's a complication, or you don't live near a service center, you will be treated like crap and never get your car fixed. When they come out with a new model they will 100% forget how to fix your current car and stop making parts for it.

I was an early adopter and this is my punishment for having an early example.
Sorry to hear the massive headache you've received. Have you considered moving on from Tesla now that the charging networks are opening up to all EV's? I see there is a BMW dealership in Tallahassee. Kyle Connor from Out of Spec has been raving about the i7 being the quietest EV he's ever tested. Throttle House also says the same, showing 55db at cruising speed. My old Lexus LS400 best numbers was 62db, and that was considered the quietest car short of a Rolls Royce.

At least with BMW, you've got a local service center within a short distance and you can call by phone when you need them.

I've considered other brands. Can't really afford anything right now. EV prices are sky high although they've dropped a little lately. I've also read reviews and seen other EV's in person and the battery tech just isn't as good as Tesla. Tesla tech is still greatly ahead of the competition. A big reason I'm trying to keep my old car running is I can't afford a new one. Tesla is absolutely brutal with trade in values. I know all car dealerships are but Tesla doesn't even negotiate. You put down a non-refundable deposit on a new car before they even send you a trade in offer. Don't like the offer? Lose $250, or whatever it is.

The customer service/car service element of Tesla is really by far the worst in the industry. It's something a lot of people never experience due to not having many problems or living in a big city. But man, it's a bizarre world trying to get Tesla service, or talking to a human at Tesla about negotiating or discussing things that a computer can't generate. The people skills are a 0 out of 10.

Reactions: ericl
Sorry to hear the massive headache you've received. Have you considered moving on from Tesla now that the charging networks are opening up to all EV's? I see there is a BMW dealership in Tallahassee. Kyle Connor from Out of Spec has been raving about the i7 being the quietest EV he's ever tested. Throttle House also says the same, showing 55db at cruising speed. My old Lexus LS400 best numbers was 62db, and that was considered the quietest car short of a Rolls Royce.

At least with BMW, you've got a local service center within a short distance and you can call by phone when you need them.

I'll tell you when I started looking for a 2nd daily driver and decided I would get an EV my first choice was the I7. I just gave back my 2020 M760 under a year ago and replaced it with a S580. I honestly loved the 7er and really dug the new one until I saw it in person and maybe it was just the color but it didn't do much for me. However, it still leaps and bounds better in most creature comforts as well as luxury over a MSP. The tech in the I7 really turned me off, and the FSD in Tesla kind of got me excited although it was the charging network that ultimately sealed the deal for the MSP over the I7. Unlike most who are happy about this, I'm completely and utterly disgusted they are allowing all these CCS cars to charge @ superchargers. And not only are they charging, there taking up 2 spots per vehicle and laughing about it like sorry tesla owners, woops. The SC network was the closer in the deal for me and I'm just glad there not opening them all up. I know this might not affect some people like in CA, FL, TX where there are SC every 10 blocks but here in the Northeast they are not all that prevalent yet. I'm about to take a road trip at the end of the month, first one in our MSP and I'm praying its smooth sailing.

I'll tell you when I started looking for a 2nd daily driver and decided I would get an EV my first choice was the I7. I just gave back my 2020 M760 under a year ago and replaced it with a S580. I honestly loved the 7er and really dug the new one until I saw it in person and maybe it was just the color but it didn't do much for me. However, it still leaps and bounds better in most creature comforts as well as luxury over a MSP. The tech in the I7 really turned me off, and the FSD in Tesla kind of got me excited although it was the charging network that ultimately sealed the deal for the MSP over the I7. Unlike most who are happy about this, I'm completely and utterly disgusted they are allowing all these CCS cars to charge @ superchargers. And not only are they charging, there taking up 2 spots per vehicle and laughing about it like sorry tesla owners, woops. The SC network was the closer in the deal for me and I'm just glad there not opening them all up. I know this might not affect some people like in CA, FL, TX where there are SC every 10 blocks but here in the Northeast they are not all that prevalent yet. I'm about to take a road trip at the end of the month, first one in our MSP and I'm praying its smooth sailing.
Yeah the SC/CCS fiasco is now labeled "cablegate" for the reasons you describe. Gonna be interesting for sure. But that's the deal Tesla had to accept in order to receive funding from the feds. Let's hope we see rapid expansions of chargers with that new cash flow.

Personally, I want to see Electrify America under new ownership who actually gives a damn about their reputation and convert their systems into critical applications, not hobbies like they are now. Kyle Connor believes only Tesla, ChargePoint and EVGO care. He thinks EA could care less if their system falls apart in the end.

So sorry for your saga!

I read with interest bc I have a similar problem with my 2013 S, except it is completely dead...won't unlock doors, or connect to app, or open charge door. I tried all the tricks with fob to get in, plus new fob battery. She sat unattended in garage for 2 months at 50% charge when last driven...now nothing. Mobile Tesla tech scheduled in 2 days, but I'm afraid they will cancel if they cannot connect with her first. 150K miles, new 12v a year ago...new MCU 4 months ago. I'm not optimistic, especially after reading this thread!