Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S won't boot up or drive after parked overnight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
a 90 KWH pack with 350v instead of 400v and software limited usable capacity

I wouldn't call that neutered at all.

It's ~90kWh instead of your old ~85kWh. You should not mislead yourself by only focusing on the voltage. The amp is higher hence higher kWh capacity.

It is definitely a better pack in terms of build than your old pack. You are not under warranty and you are paying for it. As I said above, it should not be capacity capped, and if by any chance it will be capacity capped you should demand they remove it since you are paying out of pocket for it.

Are there any details about each revision change?

The only thing I'm aware of is the rev A was 85kWh and Rev B and C are 90kWh. The color of the casing has been a bit different here and there.

What are the differences between the 85 D back I had and the 90 C pack? What about revision B to C?

Your old pack had a ~85kWh rounded nominal capacity and the 1014116-00-C is a ~90kWh rounded capacity. No information on the differences between B and C. Both are 90kWh.

So you think I'd have more range and faster supercharging but the same horsepower as my 85 pack?

Yes. You would draw a bit more amp to gain the same performance as your old pack.

Posting in multiple threads about your issue, I hope you have all the info and what to expect as well as having the plan B's if faced with any glitches. You are buying a very good pack. My plan for out-of-warranty replacement was to pay for this particular pack.

Best of luck.

Hopefully some new info will come out with what makes version C different. I’m wondering if it weighs any differently. Or if it’ll be more reliable. It seems like Tesla likes keeping everything very secretive. It’s just so different than ICE engines where you can fairly easily learn the differences in revisions usually because they’re improvements the automaker wants to advertise. I suppose I’m a car enthusiast and I like knowing these things. Most folks probably don’t care at all as long as the car works.

It seems odd they wouldn’t just offer me some choices and tell me the differences. I guess Tesla is still struggling to get their whole service side of the business working properly and parts are scarce and information scarce for service centers. Just such a strange brand.

I wonder why they don’t just put the full 100kwh pack in all model S and X and just keep it simple. Or why there are so many packs and so many revisions. I guess they’re learning as they go and playing it by ear
Not all packs are interchangeable to every vehicle. I don’t believe 100kwh batteries can be put in the old Model S that ran 85kwh. But they can input a 90kwh in that vehicle.

I wonder why they don’t just put the full 100kwh pack in all model S and X and just keep it simple. Or why there are so many packs and so many revisions. I guess they’re learning as they go and playing it by ear

Here is an example when it can be done (not by Tesla):

Are there any details about each revision change?

What are the differences between the 85 D back I had and the 90 C pack? What about revision B to C?

So you think I'd have more range and faster supercharging but the same horsepower as my 85 pack?

A vs B vs C vs D is only relevant when talking about the same part number. Comparing a “B” revision of one part number to a “C” revision of a different part number is completely meaningless.

The new 350v pack they’re giving you is objectively better in every way. Just hold the line on the original price you approved for the reman pack and they should adjust your invoice down as they’ve done for others. Win win.

Reactions: vcor
I got a quote for my battery replacement on my 2013 P85 and it too has the 90kwh-C pack. The invoice also has a bunch of hardware listed which I assume are suspension parts. RR upper link assy.
Yes it’s interesting that they seem to be replacing the same parts in our cars. Like a memo went out that says all old 85s get a new 90 battery, rear upper suspension stuff, coolant valve thing etc.

Besides the vehicle configuration, I believe the mileage and/or the age of the vehicle, or its parts, are also the determining factors for suspension components replacement, such as the upper link assembly replacement. My car has low mileage (see my sig.) and my upper link assembly was not replaced as it’s been the case with some other MS’s.

Besides the vehicle configuration, I believe the mileage and/or the age of the vehicle, or its parts, are also the determining factors for suspension components replacement, such as the upper link assembly replacement. My car has low mileage (see my sig.) and my upper link assembly was not replaced as it’s been the case with some other MS’s.
Mine is also low miles only 48k. I babied the car and took exceptional care of it and the battery. Just feels cruel. I guess that’s life.

Yea, they did upper rear suspension stuff. At least it's on the invoice, that I haven't been told about and haven't approved. :oops:

My car has had a weird clunk like the tire was rubbing or like I drove over a small pothole when I'm in reverse and turning at a sharp angle like getting out of a parking spot. Maybe it can help with that. I dunno. It's all a mystery. It'll be interesting to see how it all turns out.

I have an important road trip in January and the car has to work 100%, charge with good range and everything so I'm not off schedule. So I'm praying it's reliable and works well then.

When I got the car customer service was white glove treatment. They'd send a mobile tech to my house to inspect, then arrange a tow, give me updates via phone and text, repair the car then hand deliver it back to me. All free at this point under warranty. This is before the Model 3 came out so there were very few Tesla on the road. Now they're overloaded with millions of Model 3 and Y and customer service has gone horribly downhill. They didn't plan their infrastructure for customer service and repair correctly.

At this point my city should have a service center. When Tesla say "service center", they mean a shop. Every smaller city has 50 repair shops. This isn't like some ultra high end tech facility. They're just small warehouses with a couple dudes who swap out batteries and stuff. It's much less high tech and fancy than you think it is if you've been to one. The mobile techs are literally a dude in a van with a couple parts and a laptop and Googles stuff like the rest of us.

At this point there should be a responsive and well equipped mobile technician service available in my city.

They should have a better customer service system in place, not a robo-app.

They should have more available parts and more affordable and timely repairs.

The vehicle should be much easier to tow if it isn't drivable.

The car shouldn't be dying at under 50k miles, serviced regularly, taken very good care of.

*Personally I think they should treat older owners with original factory cars with a little more customer service. These were hand built in the original factory before Tesla was successful. They're old, and fairly rare cars now. Especially my P85+. *

In my opinion they should have a human you can contact, a mobile tech to come out and inspect and if necessary help plan and prepare the car for towing, have better towing options, better communication through the process, and more affordable and timely repair options. This whole, go on the app, figure out your own towing solution, drop the key off in a box and wait for the app to send you a notification is just not customer service. For as big and wealthy as Tesla, they must do better, quickly.

I'm an old school fanboy and love my car. Won't buy another Tesla tho. Getting something else with a long warranty and a service center in town. Too old for all this hassle. I'm offended. Gotta take care of your OG fans Tesla.
The customer service is also my reason I'll be looking elsewhere in the future. Do you have BMW or Mercedes in your city? The new BMW iX 50 is a killer EV that gets a verified 340 miles at a constant 70MPH. It's also the quietest EV Kyle Connor from Out of Spec has ever reviewed.

The other nice EV is Mercedes EQS, which also easily gets over 300 miles range.

You might have to order one straight from the factory to avoid markups and who knows how long it'll take to arrive. Maybe put a reserve or order in and hold on to the Tesla with the new battery until you get your new car. You should get a nice return if you sell it with that brand new battery.

And with a Benz or BMW, at least you'll know in the future there is a service center in your city that you can go to when things go horribly wrong with your future car.

Last edited:
They said my car is ready. I asked them to reconsider the invoice price and they said they’d look at it next week. I probably can’t get a ride to go get it for a couple of weeks at least though. Lots of hurry up and wait going on. Very curious how it all turns out. I just feel like the car won’t be reliable. It should be. But my mind is always sort of thinking it’ll be bricked one morning or strand me on the highway.

Reactions: zoomer0056