Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S won't boot up or drive after parked overnight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully it can be fixed over the air.

It was kind of alarming when my drive unit was diagnosed faulty in August, the codes were vague and it seems like they were using the process of elimination. Thankfully I was able to drive the car for weeks while a unit was attained. Hopefully the newer cars have advanced.

They’re going to tow the car back to the service center and look at it some more. What a mess.

My theory is that my old battery pack was fine and they haven’t found the root cause of what’s bricking the cars and they’re just wasting time and money on replacing battery packs. I feel like I should get a refund and a repair for free at minimum now.

That’s what my local SC is also doing… When had issues with the suspension arms they have replaced every single one on the car during 2 visits, steering rack in the second visit and as the problem was still present they replaced the stabilizer ends in a third one. For the first 2 I had to pay the ESA deductible and they haven’t charged anything for the 3rd. Either they don’t have proper knowledge on older S as they mostly see 3/Ys or they really don’t know what they’re doing on any of them…

They said they changed the rapidmate seal and ring. That’s all the info I have. Not sure why car bricked or what they did to fix it. So vague and mysterious all the time. Still trying to negotiate on them getting the car back to me but always multi day delays between correspondence.

They said they changed the rapidmate seal and ring. That’s all the info I have. Not sure why car bricked or what they did to fix it. So vague and mysterious all the time. Still trying to negotiate on them getting the car back to me but always multi day delays between correspondence.
This explains a bit of what the seal is for: Deteriorating Rapid Mate Skirt Seal

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
This explains a bit of what the seal is for: Deteriorating Rapid Mate Skirt Seal
That’s interesting. I always get the impression that they rush through ever repair and don’t do enough diagnostics to look for bad parts. It’s sort of a try something then let the customer test the fix then try something else. Rather than a complete diagnostic to ensure all areas are good before giving it back to the customer to test.

Reactions: henderrj
That’s interesting. I always get the impression that they rush through ever repair and don’t do enough diagnostics to look for bad parts. It’s sort of a try something then let the customer test the fix then try something else. Rather than a complete diagnostic to ensure all areas are good before giving it back to the customer to test.
And don't forget they are also incredibly understaffed and not enough service centers with the exploding growth of Tesla's. Hope you get a resolution soon. I've been following your thread now for months. I've got about 1 year left on my 2015 and hope I don't go through the same.

Got the car back tonight but it has significant damage and errors.

There's significant damage to the back bumper, grey plastic bit and the polished silver trim under that. Looks like they backed it into a concrete wall.

Scratches on the driver's rear quarter panel.

Parking assist error and no parking sensors working anymore.

So the saga continues.

Such a silly thing this company. The emperor has no clothes!

Back on the texting to service center tomorrow to begin a new chapter.

At this point, all kidding aside, they need to buy the car from me and apologize for the prolonged failures. They need to offer the maximum trade in value of the car+ the amount paid for the MCU upgrades, battery replacement, towing fees I've paid so far. Genuinely that would be the right and fair thing for them to do. Even then I'd be very unhappy because I really loved my car and they've basically destroyed it and wasted lots of my time and money.

Confidence level they will do the right thing? Low. Very low. Like Twitter low.

Got the car back tonight but it has significant damage and errors.

There's significant damage to the back bumper, grey plastic bit and the polished silver trim under that. Looks like they backed it into a concrete wall.

Scratches on the driver's rear quarter panel.

Parking assist error and no parking sensors working anymore.

So the saga continues.

Such a silly thing this company. The emperor has no clothes!

Back on the texting to service center tomorrow to begin a new chapter.

At this point, all kidding aside, they need to buy the car from me and apologize for the prolonged failures. They need to offer the maximum trade in value of the car+ the amount paid for the MCU upgrades, battery replacement, towing fees I've paid so far. Genuinely that would be the right and fair thing for them to do. Even then I'd be very unhappy because I really loved my car and they've basically destroyed it and wasted lots of my time and money.

Confidence level they will do the right thing? Low. Very low. Like Twitter low.
Can you post pics of the damage?
The parking sensor being damaged would explain why it’s not working

Reactions: zoomer0056
Can you post pics of the damage?
The parking sensor being damaged would explain why it’s not working

Looks like they backed it into some concrete wall then were like oops hope he doesn't notice, even though it's throwing parking assistant errors now. One of the sensors looks like it's been jostled some. Just so bizarre that they do these things and just send them out the door like it's completely acceptable. I've just never experienced anything like this before. I'm half confused and half grumpy.

IMG_0346.jpg
IMG_0347.jpg