Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 MS 85 w dreaded "Maximum battery charge level reduced" error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[2013 MS 85] I joined the "Maximum battery charge level reduced" club last weekend. My range was capped at 107 mi, and charging is down to 1-2 kw at above 100 mi.

I have an appointment to come in this Sunday, but the quote is for a 12V battery replacement. I've sent a message on the app asking if this will fix the issue. No response, yet.

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 2.13.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 2.14.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 12.05.05 PM.png

[2013 MS 85] I joined the "Maximum battery charge level reduced" club last weekend. My range was capped at 107 mi, and charging is down to 1-2 kw at above 100 mi.

I have an appointment to come in this Sunday, but the quote is for a 12V battery replacement. I've sent a message on the app asking if this will fix the issue. No response, yet.

View attachment 857558
View attachment 857559
View attachment 857560
I got the same message. any updates from your end? also how do you message a service advisor via the app?

I got the same message. any updates from your end? also how do you message a service advisor via the app?

My next step is to bring in the vehicle this Sunday for them to inspect it for a couple of hours.

To schedule service, open the Tesla app and select Service. Take a picture of your error message and upload it with the service request. Once you have scheduled an appointment, you can chat with them by clicking on the chat icon at the bottom of the screen.

Here's the latest message I received from them:
Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 8.04.12 AM.png

My next step is to bring in the vehicle this Sunday for them to inspect it for a couple of hours.

To schedule service, open the Tesla app and select Service. Take a picture of your error message and upload it with the service request. Once you have scheduled an appointment, you can chat with them by clicking on the chat icon at the bottom of the screen.

View attachment 857756
Any update on this issue?

Reactions: cwerdna
I have the same message on my dash, Car has been sitting for over a year, doing a face lift bumper change. Car is lways plugged into 120 v tesla charger. Kept battery @ 60% car runs and drives fine. After returning from vacation in October the car was dead. Found the 12V battery went bad. Bought battery from Tesla and replaced it, the error Maximum battery charge Level reduced in dash and charge complete @ 18% ? Car has BMS018 Error last week the level went down to 5-10% now its down to 0% the 120 charger starts and stops a few minutes later. today I tried my Tesla 240 volt charger and it only went up to 4 amps for a few minutes then shut down dash says 0% charge complete? Car starts and moves fine?

Attachments

• Dash.jpg
    Dash.jpg
    575.4 KB · Views: 98
  • Center Screen.jpg
    Center Screen.jpg
    452.3 KB · Views: 115
I have the same message on my dash, Car has been sitting for over a year, doing a face lift bumper change. Car is lways plugged into 120 v tesla charger. Kept battery @ 60% car runs and drives fine. After returning from vacation in October the car was dead. Found the 12V battery went bad. Bought battery from Tesla and replaced it, the error Maximum battery charge Level reduced in dash and charge complete @ 18% ? Car has BMS018 Error last week the level went down to 5-10% now its down to 0% the 120 charger starts and stops a few minutes later. today I tried my Tesla 240 volt charger and it only went up to 4 amps for a few minutes then shut down dash says 0% charge complete? Car starts and moves fine?
Let us know diagnosis. Good luck.

What's the year of your model S? How many miles?
Did the error happen after you got it back from the service center?

Its a 2012 with 97K miles. I cant bring it to the SC because it still have the salvage title from Copart.
I cant register it until I get it fixed and ran through the state of Illinois safety inspection to get rebuilt title.
Do you all think main battery is dead?

View attachment 857756
What was the outcome on your issue?

2012 Tesla Model S P85. 69k miles. Was out on vacation for over a month, left the car at garage with 210 miles charge. At 140 miles or so, got 'bms_u018 maximum battery charge level reduced, ok to drive and charge. schedule service' message. My daughter tried to plug it at a SC and it didn't charge so it was parked back at garage for the past 10 days, now down to 80 miles. I returned back last night and drove the car this morning to work. Plugged it at chargepoint at my office parking and the car is charging with charge limit set at 50%. Meanwhile I scheduled a service using the app, first a mobile service appointment was set at 12th April. Then Tesla changed it as a Service Center visit and changed the date to 26th April. Looks like they've run a remote diagnostics and I received an email quote asking for my acceptance.
1680727411994.png
1680727435471.png

I mainly use the car for work commute and have only put in 69k miles till date. Last year when the car was parked and an OTA update was done in the night, I couldn't drive the car next day morning and had multiple warning messages shown. Tesla said the RDU had to be replaced and I paid almost $8k as the car was out of warranty. It's hardly been a year since I spent that kind of money and now I'm sitting on a $15k quote. How come such things always happen after an OTA? Seems like Tesla is bricking the cars intentionally. How come there is no prior warning or whatsoever on such expensive parts and they fail in a flip of the switch? I had the greatest experience in the initial years of customer service. Whenever something went wrong or a warning came up, they used to call me proactively to check if I was at a safe location and guide me through the process. Now this bms_u018 warning came up two weeks ago and they didn't seem to care until today, but were quick to send a quote as soon as I raised a service request. $23k repairs in 12 months is a hard pill to swallow.

I'm going to postpone and cancel the service appointment and will continue to drive as long as I'm able to add 30 miles of charge for my daily commute. I will pretend that I'm driving a Nissan Leaf with limited range. I will wait until it stops charging.

They have quoted for a 'remanufactured' HV battery. No additional info provided on what model/capacity/warranty, etc. How old is this 'remanufactured one'. And why are they not quoting for a new one? Does this mean, the newer tech battery packs are not compatible with older Teslas? What's the guarantee the remanufactured ones won't fail?

The standard terms only say "
1680728392138.png

Is that one gets for a battery pack replacement? When they replaced the RDU last year, they said it's 4 years/40k miles warranty. Shouldn't battery packs have at least the same level of warranty, if not more? Even with 40k warranty and my car has 69k miles on the odo, I would be out of warranty after two battery packs and 100k miles on odo in 3-4 years. Tesla might just brick it as soon as warranty is over with another OTA.

They have quoted for a 'remanufactured' HV battery. No additional info provided on what model/capacity/warranty, etc. How old is this 'remanufactured one'. And why are they not quoting for a new one? Does this mean, the newer tech battery packs are not compatible with older Teslas? What's the guarantee the remanufactured ones won't fail?

The standard terms only say "View attachment 925441
Is that one gets for a battery pack replacement? When they replaced the RDU last year, they said it's 4 years/40k miles warranty. Shouldn't battery packs have at least the same level of warranty, if not more? Even with 40k warranty and my car has 69k miles on the odo, I would be out of warranty after two battery packs and 100k miles on odo in 3-4 years. Tesla might just brick it as soon as warranty is over with another OTA.
Sent you PM. I'll talk you thru same thing I went thru last Nov.

Reactions: ddb1001