Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 MS60 Driver Dash/Instrument Cluster Random Reboots

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After the last software update my 2013 P85 instrument cluster reboots itself several times on every trip. Note: This is only the instrument cluster and not the MCU. And, this only happens when using navigation. If I’m not using navigation I do not have any issues. I suspect the issue is tied to the navigation update. I’ve tried a hard reboot and the problem still persists while using navigation.

After the last software update my 2013 P85 instrument cluster reboots itself several times on every trip. Note: This is only the instrument cluster and not the MCU. And, this only happens when using navigation. If I’m not using navigation I do not have any issues. I suspect the issue is tied to the navigation update. I’ve tried a hard reboot and the problem still persists while using navigation.
I am thinking it might be the update too since navigation use always causes the cluster to reboot.

It's 2018.28.1. I also have a 2013 P85 and my IC started rebooting multiple times per day since I received that update at the SvC a week ago. I have since contacted them regarding the issue and they remotely pushed a newer update (2018.28.5) w/ bug fixes. It's installing right now, let's see if it fixes the problem.

It's 2018.28.1. I also have a 2013 P85 and my IC started rebooting multiple times per day since I received that update at the SvC a week ago. I have since contacted them regarding the issue and they remotely pushed a newer update (2018.28.5) w/ bug fixes. It's installing right now, let's see if it fixes the problem.
I'll be interested to see if it does fix the issue.

I was wrong in my post above. As West2018 said above, the IC reboot only happens while nav is in use. Hadn't happened in a while so I set up a navigation route and, sure enough, the IC reboot happened again. I initially saw the bug last week on a 300+ mile trip home from the service center, where they had installed 2018.28.1 on my car; I was using navigation the whole way.

I'll be interested to see if it does fix the issue.

I was wrong in my post above. As West2018 said above, the IC reboot only happens while nav is in use. Hadn't happened in a while so I set up a navigation route and, sure enough, the IC reboot happened again. I initially saw the bug last week on a 300+ mile trip home from the service center, where they had installed 2018.28.1 on my car; I was using navigation the whole way.
Yeah I can see that’s pretty much the case here. The reboot is quick but it does get bothersome.

Yeah I can see that’s pretty much the case here. The reboot is quick but it does get bothersome.
I had one case last week when I was in a reduced speed zone and saw that my speedometer had frozen, prior to a reboot. I can see it now: "Sorry officer, I didn't know how fast I was going because my instrument cluster was rebooting!"

• Funny
Reactions: Nick B
I’m having the same issue as well as my hatch and charge port open randomly. I stopped by the service center today and they insisted I need a new instrument panel. However they didn’t have one in the service center.

Wow glad I found this post! I have exactly the same issue with my 2014 P85! Ever since the service center updated the software last Monday the instrument cluster reboots at each 10 mins or less. Very annoying... it does however reboot in a few seconds and the main screen stays on. I was initially a little worried because I'm out of warranty and didn't want to spend a lot of money for something that might be tesla's fault (since it started right after the SC visit).

A ranger is supposed to call me Monday. I'll keep you guys posted... in the meantime @TMS60B, I would hold my end against the SC, especially if you're out of warranty.

EDIT: Forgot to add but it seems to happen with the Nav only.

I am a little more than annoyed as my car did not reboot immediately and left me for 15 minutes without brake lights, indicators and automatic headlight adjustments. If you get this at night you HAVE to stop immediately. Fun fact the emergency blinking lights also did not function. I was stuck at the side of the road pumping the brakes to warn traffic.

This was most definite NOT fun.

The software update did not fix the issue. I experienced a reboot yesterday while scrolling through the righ thumbwheel options. Constant reboots while navigating, immediately preceded by the nav panel freezing. Something to do with activity in the side panels on screen.

Are you absolutely sure of this? The IC does not control any of these functions, it only displays the current status of what they are all doing. If it did control these, they would not have made it easy to reboot yourself while driving. -- Peter

I am a little more than annoyed as my car did not reboot immediately and left me for 15 minutes without brake lights, indicators and automatic headlight adjustments. If you get this at night you HAVE to stop immediately. Fun fact the emergency blinking lights also did not function. I was stuck at the side of the road pumping the brakes to warn traffic.

This was most definite NOT fun.

Are you absolutely sure of this? The IC does not control any of these functions, it only displays the current status of what they are all doing. If it did control these, they would not have made it easy to reboot yourself while driving. -- Peter

100% sure. Just try a reboot and then immediately use your blinkers and you will see for yourself. I would personally never do a reboot while driving. Btw today I also found out that when the screens lockup the Autodrive disables without any pings. So if you happen to be looking elsewhere you could be in serious problems. I am surprised so many people seem to take this so lightly. I am actually reluctant to use any of the mode advanced functions at this moment due to my experiences.

[email protected] so far has not replied to my emails (that seems to be more or less standard, they have never responded to any emails from me so far, always had to follow up with phone calls...). Oh how I wish support was as good as the car mostly is.

Very very strange. During a reboot of the IC my blinkers and brake lights and headlights continue to work, as does Auto Pilot. I'm fascinated that yours doesn't, as I've never found anyone who confirmed your issue (Many thought say, the blinkers stopped working, because they stopped hearing the click during a CID reboot but then confirmed that they do operate, without sound). Hence why no one thinks this is a major safety problem. What's your model/vin/software version? I'll test again on my way in today. Peter

100% sure. Just try a reboot and then immediately use your blinkers and you will see for yourself. I would personally never do a reboot while driving. Btw today I also found out that when the screens lockup the Autodrive disables without any pings. So if you happen to be looking elsewhere you could be in serious problems.

I am surprised so many people seem to take this so lightly. I am actually reluctant to use any of the mode advanced functions at this moment due to my experiences.

Took my S to the SC today. I’ll let you know what they say and how much this 2018.28 firmware update costs me. I’m out of warranty so I hope the cost is not too much. I’m disappointed that they can’t put 2018.26 back on the car and just let me drive it. I’m also disappointed that they can force a firmware update that cost so much to fix. It seems like a conflict when you can create work/profit for yourself. Sorry, I’m just venting