Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 MS60 Driver Dash/Instrument Cluster Random Reboots

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you only have this appointment to have new software pushed onto the car? If so, you can talk to them and have them put in a service ticket to have the new software pushed to your car within a few hours and you can save yourself the trip in. Of course, this all only helps if they have new software with a fix ready...

Pushed back my appointment to next Thursday. I thought it was today, but it was actually scheduled for tomorrow, but I got something going on.

Wish they could just downgrade software too.

Ok, I rechecked last night while driving at highway speeds, all car external functions continue to operate normally when either the IC or CID are rebooted. This included headlights, turn signals, hazards, and even Autopilot (though you get a nice warning on the CID when the IC is rebooted but it continues to work fine). -- Peter

100% sure. Just try a reboot and then immediately use your blinkers and you will see for yourself. I would personally never do a reboot while driving. Btw today I also found out that when the screens lockup the Autodrive disables without any pings. So if you happen to be looking elsewhere you could be in serious problems. I am surprised so many people seem to take this so lightly. I am actually reluctant to use any of the mode advanced functions at this moment due to my experiences.

[email protected] so far has not replied to my emails (that seems to be more or less standard, they have never responded to any emails from me so far, always had to follow up with phone calls...). Oh how I wish support was as good as the car mostly is.

Update: I picked up my 2013MS from the service center yesterday. They installed 2018.32.2. However, the instrument panel issue remains. The update did solve the problem of the sunroof and trunk opening and closing without user input.

I hope this is true because the SC told me the fix is to replace the instrument panel for $1400.
Don't believe it. And if it turns out to be true, which I seriously doubt, Tesla needs to replace the IC at their cost (even if out of warranty) because their software update damaged your vehicle. Furthermore, this potential damage to your vehicle was not disclosed to you prior to updating the vehicle. Point them to this thread so they can see how many other people are affected.

I hope this is true because the SC told me the fix is to replace the instrument panel for $1400.
With so many of us reporting the problem at the same time, all as a result of the latest firmware update, how could it not be a bug to be fixed? I don't doubt that an IC replacement is expensive but that isn't the problem if your rebooting symptoms match those of others. That collective experience is a major benefit of hanging out at TMC. ☺

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
I just wanted to add that I have only just started to experience this issue. It happened 2 times on my way home. I was not using navigation when this happened either. I’m currently on 28.5 if the update does fix it, I hope tesla can push that to us that are experiencing this bug instead of having to wait.

Hey guys, FYI Tesla called me back a few days ago (been very busy) to let me know that it's a software problem and that they will push out a corrected update eventually to fix the problem.
I was told the same thing. Waiting patiently.

At first they were talking about a $1410 replacement for the cluster, but called back to advise it was a software issue that would be addressed in the next release. My car is a 2013 P85.

2018.32.2 does NOT fix the issue. I had constant reboots after installing this update. It doesn't look like us classic owners are getting much love from Tesla. Moving forward, I'm going to ask Tesla NOT to update my firmware at the service center. Everything worked fine before they screwed things up with an update at my last appointment. I'm sick and tired of Tesla's crap software quality.

This drove me bonkers on the weekend on my Sig P85. Glad to hear it's a just software glitch. Maybe I'll pop by the Service Center to see if the car gets pushed the update over wifi.

Looks like Tesla's regression testing is ignoring us classic configs. :(
Now that you mention it, is this just a problem for classics? I assumed it was happening to the entire fleet.

I was on nav much of the day yesterday (430 miles) but I am getting used to the bug — at least the IC rebooting is fairly rapid.