Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 MS60 Driver Dash/Instrument Cluster Random Reboots

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2012 and have the same issue. Had the car in for service and here is what I received back:

Concern: Customer states that instrument cluster is rebooting itself.

Corrections: Media Control Unit (Touchscreen) General Diagnosis

This is a known software bug, which is under investigation. Engineers are aware and working on a firmware fix.

Stay tuned......

My car was fine on 28.5, I dropped it off for service last friday and they replaced the MCU for an unrelated reason. I was on 32.2 when I drove home and the IC rebooted once. Got the update for 32.4 last night and it rebooted three times on my way to work this morning. Fun.

My car was fine on 28.5, I dropped it off for service last friday and they replaced the MCU for an unrelated reason. I was on 32.2 when I drove home and the IC rebooted once. Got the update for 32.4 last night and it rebooted three times on my way to work this morning. Fun.

I got the update 32.4 from 28.5 on Friday, immediately after the repeated reboots and freezing of the CID began, I was told it was a known bug and would be fixed with the next update. Why push the update I got when there is such a blatant issue with it, I would expect the update pulled and be pended to the yet to be released next update that supposedly did not have the issue. Not very helpful not having a speedometer.

I got the update 32.4 from 28.5 on Friday, immediately after the repeated reboots and freezing of the CID began, I was told it was a known bug and would be fixed with the next update. Why push the update I got when there is such a blatant issue with it, I would expect the update pulled and be pended to the yet to be released next update that supposedly did not have the issue. Not very helpful not having a speedometer.
Perhaps 32.4 fixes other bugs? Just not the IC rebooting bug that first appeared in 28.1.

Since it has been more than a month it seems that Tesla is having trouble fixing this bug. I sure wish they would let us roll back firmware updates!

Edit: Another thread reports that 32.4 adds "PIN to drive" to the Tesla fleet.

Last edited:
This has been ongoing for a few days now, but today alone my instrument cluster rebooted 5 times while on the road. Would I be able to see if I can get this replaced?

I can confirm this behavior. A call to Tesla Service suggested that I reboot the instrument cluster using the buttons on the steering wheel. That provided only a temporary fix, as the problem still happens. Yesterday the IC rebooted itself 4 times in the space of 15 minutes!

It could possibly be linked to the navigation system (recently updated), as I was using the nav for directions every time this screen went dark.

It's more than a bit disturbing that the Tesla Service Team doesn't seem to know why this is happening, or have any *real* solution for this issue. Are we just supposed to accept this bug as normal??

Reactions: AmpedRealtor
Also have the IC resets about once every ten minutes after installing v.2018.28.5 Since I only use my 2013 MS85 for long trips, I always have Nav active. Sent e-mail to Tesla Customer Service who responded - "We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. Have you tried performing a touchscreen reset, or turning off your car completely for a few minutes and then restarting?" Have done manual reboots of each of the two screens, no help. I thought the car turns off completely when I walk away from it(?). About to set off on a 5000+mile trip and not looking forward to these screen reboots.

About to set off on a 5000+mile trip and not looking forward to these screen reboots.

Be sure to keep an eye on your speed. My IC froze last Friday and took me a minute to realize what was going on. Luckily I was less than 1/2 mi from my destination when it happened so I didn't have to worry about exceeding the speed limit for a long stretch of road.

These cars are so cool, they go "fast" even when they are parked with their sun shields up! (not gonna lie, I was a bit hesitant when I exited my car in fear that it was going to start rolling forward towards a wall).

Attachments

• IMG_2895.JPG
    IMG_2895.JPG
    353.1 KB · Views: 84
Also have the IC resets about once every ten minutes after installing v.2018.28.5 Since I only use my 2013 MS85 for long trips, I always have Nav active. Sent e-mail to Tesla Customer Service who responded - "We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. Have you tried performing a touchscreen reset, or turning off your car completely for a few minutes and then restarting?" Have done manual reboots of each of the two screens, no help. I thought the car turns off completely when I walk away from it(?). About to set off on a 5000+mile trip and not looking forward to these screen reboots.
On my 5000+ mile trip right now and it is annoying but usable...

Reactions: camthehombre