Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 P85, 60K miles, 238 max range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, so i do expect it to drop a bit but I'll keep an eye on it every month when i cycle the battery and see what it says. i'll probably cycle it again this weekend just for giggles to see what it comes to.

you hurt the battery more than doing anything good!
its just for your giggles, but nothing more. every longer stay at 100% or every drain to 0% will hurt the battery.
Just let it stay between 30 and 70 ALL THE TIME, and be happy to have a working car in 5 more years.
If you want to see it break, or the hassle to get a replacement for free, continue what you are sayin.

So how does this cycling work in terms of actual kwh instead of miles?
For example using TMspy my total capacity is 70 kwh, useable is 66. If I cycled the battery as described in this thread will that capacity actually potentially increase?
Or does the range calculation just change to show more miles?
I noticed it did increase from winter to summer months.

If I cycled the battery as described in this thread will that capacity actually potentially increase?

When all the cells are balanced they are all charging equally and you will realize the full capacity potential for your battery.
In other words, if you cycle the battery on a trip and check the 100% miles of rated range it is only accurate with a balanced pack. There are so many individual cells that this makes a huge difference.
Only charge to 100% right before a long road trip and just note the rated range then...keeping a log over time can put your mind at ease. I expect 1-2% battery degradation per year is fairly normal for Li-Ion chemisry. Most Tesla batteries are doing better than that.

So how does this cycling work in terms of actual kwh instead of miles?

It doesn't actually alter your battery capacity, what it's doing is estimating better. The miles are a rough guess of how much energy the battery can hold expressed as an EPA calculated distance. Cycling low % to 100% helps the computer estimate better because it has a more recent value of what the low end and high end numbers look like. It's always estimating, the display is never fully accurate (and the EPA number is always REALLY inaccurate for me!) so this doesn't do anything to help your battery stay healthy, it just gives you a better idea of your batteries fully charged health status.

It doesn't actually alter your battery capacity, what it's doing is estimating better. The miles are a rough guess of how much energy the battery can hold expressed as an EPA calculated distance. Cycling low % to 100% helps the computer estimate better because it has a more recent value of what the low end and high end numbers look like. It's always estimating, the display is never fully accurate (and the EPA number is always REALLY inaccurate for me!) so this doesn't do anything to help your battery stay healthy, it just gives you a better idea of your batteries fully charged health status.

Thanks, so I would not see a difference in the actual kwh using TMspy. I've been trying to use that as a gauge for degradation instead of miles.

Cycling helps to balance the pack. Each little cell charges and discharges at different rates. Going to 100% let's each cell get fully charged so you have true full capacity of the pack. If you only change to 80% some cells will be at lower voltages and will reach "empty" first. This results in lower range because there is still energy in other cells that can't be used. If they are all at equal voltage you will get more capacity out of the pack because they will all be closer to "empty" at closer to the same time.

you hurt the battery more than doing anything good!
its just for your giggles, but nothing more. every longer stay at 100% or every drain to 0% will hurt the battery.
Just let it stay between 30 and 70 ALL THE TIME, and be happy to have a working car in 5 more years.
If you want to see it break, or the hassle to get a replacement for free, continue what you are sayin.
i'm sorry i was away so long but i wanted to let you know that everything you said in this post is wrong.

i stayed in your safe zone and all it did was lead to bad data. my range dropped. then when i started doing what telsa told me to do, (CHARGE TO 90%EVERY NIGHT!) the range came back.

after one cycle as you saw in this thread if you watched the pics, i regained more than my original range. but even that is truly bad data as things balance out.

now i'm at about 225 at 90%, (it was 223 yesterday) 65K miles and not a scratch on her.

do not charge to 60-70% every night like i did and make yourself crazy, your not helping yourself, charge to 90. :thumbs:

edit: i never leave my car charged at 100, or drop it to 0 so not sure what that's about.

i'm sorry i was away so long but i wanted to let you know that everything you said in this post is wrong.

i stayed in your safe zone and all it did was lead to bad data. my range dropped. then when i started doing what telsa told me to do, (CHARGE TO 90%EVERY NIGHT!) the range came back.

What you saw is accurate, but what you think happened is incorrect. You never lost range, but you did confuse the BMS into thinking it has less range too work with. No range was ever lost, you were just making your car display an even more incorrect range than it usually does.

Charge over 93% every so often to put your battery into a good balance check, at 93% it changes how it monitors the charging.

Keeping the battery at 50% forever is the longest life it will have, keeping it as close to that as you can is the next best thing, but realistically why bother? They last so long and are warranted for long enough that you're inconveniencing yourself for some future owner you'll never be able to tell "you're welcome."

Reactions: FlyinLow
What you saw is accurate, but what you think happened is incorrect. You never lost range, but you did confuse the BMS into thinking it has less range too work with. No range was ever lost, you were just making your car display an even more incorrect range than it usually does.
Read my post again, i stated that charging to 50-60% led to bad data. that's exactly what "i think happened" and exactly what you posted above.