Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 P85 Battery Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought my P85 in 2016, it would charge to 260miles+ of range on a full charge

In 2020 I brought my P85 to Tesla Torrance Service Center and they decided they wanted to replace my 85KW battery at no cost.

When the reconditioned replacement battery was installed, the car now charges fully to 218mi Range. It takes 1.5 hours to charge 180mi range, 165 miles to drive 70 miles..

I've taken it to 2 different service centers and they are all telling me this is "Normal"

What do you guys think? This is making me really upset and they wont resolve it. Telling me to basically 'deal with it'

I can’t speak directly to your reconditioned replacement battery, but I have a 2013 P85+ with just under 40k on it.

When I bought it 3 years ago I would get almost 260 miles on full charge. I think the original rating was 271.

Now I get around 243. Not actual miles, that is just what it says when it is fully charged. of course in actual driving I don’t get that or even very close.

I was surprised at how much the range dropped off, but upon researching it I learned this is pretty normal.

I expect you will have seen this thread:

Covers most things 85 battery related and good thread to post in.

In 2020 I brought my P85 to Tesla Torrance Service Center and they decided they wanted to replace my 85KW battery at no cost.

When the reconditioned replacement battery was installed, the car now charges fully to 218mi Range. It takes 1.5 hours to charge 180mi range, 165 miles to drive 70 miles..
What did it charge to in 2020 before they replaced the battery? The replacement battery should have charged to the same, or more, than that when it was put in.

Now a year later it would have degraded more...

What did it charge to in 2020 before they replaced the battery? The replacement battery should have charged to the same, or more, than that when it was put in.

Now a year later it would have degraded more...
The "new" battery never charged to the correct range. Never. I've brought this to their attention several times, and the worst part is, everytime I supercharge the car I lose another 2-5 miles of range. It is sub 200 miles now. So, I am getting 199mi of range on a battery that should be above 250.

This is not right. A trip to San Francisco from Los Angeles takes 9+ hours because I have to stop 5x to charge my P85. It wasn't like this before my battery was taken and software was tweaked

Attachments

• IMG_9531.jpeg
    IMG_9531.jpeg
    479.7 KB · Views: 99
This is not right. A trip to San Francisco from Los Angeles takes 9+ hours because I have to stop 5x to charge my P85. It wasn't like this before my battery was taken and software was tweaked
I’d ask for a sit down meeting with the service manager.
1)do you have a a screen shot or anything just before they replaced your battery showing what it’s 90% or max was? If you do you should have a case here.
2)I have. P85D with 90k on the odo. Original battery on my car. At new max was 252. Now it’s 238. I a few times a year do deep cycle drains to see if Incan recoup miles. Have you tried doing that to see if that’s the issue? Allow to get to around 10% then max charge. Drive it right away again back down to 10% or less and max charge and see what you get.
3)at new on a p85 max charge was 262
Good luck.

I’d ask for a sit down meeting with the service manager.
1)do you have a a screen shot or anything just before they replaced your battery showing what it’s 90% or max was? If you do you should have a case here.
2)I have. P85D with 90k on the odo. Original battery on my car. At new max was 252. Now it’s 238. I a few times a year do deep cycle drains to see if Incan recoup miles. Have you tried doing that to see if that’s the issue? Allow to get to around 10% then max charge. Drive it right away again back down to 10% or less and max charge and see what you get.
3)at new on a p85 max charge was 262
Good luck.
At best I get 200 miles of range on full charge. I do have pictures prior showing I was charging to 260 prior to the battery swap

Im going to keep bothering them until they fix it. They are adamant that everything is normal. It's really sketch

From what I understand (and from other threads), it appears that Tesla's battery warranty is to replace like for like (or better). If your vehicle had 238 miles rated range before it failed, that's what you should be getting or better. This is where data is key. They may say your memory is anecdotal. In my case I use both TeslaFi and Recurrent Battery Monitoring (Recurrent | Used Electric Cars Aren't Measured in Miles) This way I know what degradation has occurred, and should I have a pack failure can clearly document this is where my pack was just prior to failure and what I expect a replacement pack to do. Unfortunately, prior to the Raven vehicles, they did not warranty degradation, but you got unlimited warranty miles. Now they warranty no more than 30% degradation, and limit miles. But at least you have a target of degradation to argue about.

Good luck resolving with Tesla