TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

2013 P85 model S known issues

Discussion in 'Model S' started by rinconryder, Sep 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. rinconryder

rinconryder Member

My buddy is looking at a low mileage 2013 MS P85. What are some of the known issues he should be looking for, motor, handles, etc.? I believe the car is out of warranty at this time. Thank you for any insight!

Wes

2. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

Drivetrain (motor, inverter, battery) should still be under the 8 year infinite mile warranty. Door handles are very common failures. The center 17" screen is known to get bubbles in it. The sunroof can also frequently have alignment issues, although they typical would have already been sorted by now. The tailgates frequently leaked, but that also would have been sorted by now, unless it was never an issue if the car came from a climate with no rain.

3. battleroyale

battleroyale Member

@jaguar36 covered the most typical. Since it's out of warranty if the pano roof, taillamp condensation, door handles haven't been addressed prior you might find it difficult to get them addressed now if it comes up. Maybe goodwill but it would probably be up to the service center.

4. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Voluntaryist

Maybe rear tire wear (camber). I would also look at the headliner for water stains from leaky roof... Definitely listen for the clunk in the transmission or drive train hum... excessive balloon squeal. Door handles all present and work (maybe ask them what generation they are). Check to see if they put on the new rear applique over the taillights that shouldn't hold moisture as much...
    Last but not least def check the center screen for bubbles... that's really bad news.