Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 P85+ New Owner Gripes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think all of us have some gripes. The striking thing is the sheer volume of issues. Just wait until your mirrors don't unfold or your car goes into calibration!!

Some of your issues could have been foreseen with a test drive, some not. For instance, I heard about the difficulty with entering and exiting, but didn't notice it on my test drive.
Then realized it's mainly a problem when you can't swing the door wide open, such as when car is parked in a garage or stall
(Test drive car was in a large open bay). So I REALLY notice the problem in my garage. Will be solved with autopark!

The handle presenting problem took me a while to figure out. It's because Elon and Californians park like 99 year old grandmas who live in the suburbs (they back in). So they approach car from the front.

Anybody who lives in a city parks front-in. But Tesla is a Palo Alto (suburban) company. So handles work if you back in.

Luckily all you have to do it tap the door handle, but it does sort of defeat the auto present feature

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
I back in nearly 90% of the time and it has nothing to do with geography. I prefer to NOT back out into moving traffic whenever possible. Visibility and maneuverability is much greater when pulling straight out vs backing out. Suburban mall, grocery store, or packed parking garage... Backing in is almost always my go to.