Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 P85 or 2014 85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have the opportunity to buy a 2013 P85 (build P04xxx) with pano roof, air suspension, 21" wheels, dual chargers, tech package, ultra high fidelity sound, carbon fiber spoiler, and 30k miles. I also have the opportunity to buy a 2014 85 (build P37xxx) non-P, solid color roof, 19" wheels, yacht floor, tech package, parking sensors, premium interior lighting, and 19k miles.

They are practically the same price. I'm leaning towards the P85 but slightly concerned about the early build number and potential quality issues. The air suspension would be nice for my driveway although I am able to pull a 458 Italia up it without raising the front. I also like the idea of having the pano roof for the added headroom. Both cars seem like they have nice options, just different from each other. The 2014 85 would get me an extra year of battery/drive train warranty and presumably longer range, with the lack of pano roof and air suspension it would inheritly have less things that could break.

Now that I'm done rambling, what would you do?

So I have the opportunity to buy a 2013 P85 (build P04xxx) with pano roof, air suspension, 21" wheels, dual chargers, tech package, ultra high fidelity sound, carbon fiber spoiler, and 30k miles. I also have the opportunity to buy a 2014 85 (build P37xxx) non-P, solid color roof, 19" wheels, yacht floor, tech package, parking sensors, premium interior lighting, and 19k miles.

They are practically the same price. I'm leaning towards the P85 but slightly concerned about the early build number and potential quality issues. The air suspension would be nice for my driveway although I am able to pull a 458 Italia up it without raising the front. I also like the idea of having the pano roof for the added headroom. Both cars seem like they have nice options, just different from each other. The 2014 85 would get me an extra year of battery/drive train warranty and presumably longer range, with the lack of pano roof and air suspension it would inheritly have less things that could break.

Now that I'm done rambling, what would you do?
Well, who do you love better, your first child or second? Two great choices. Here's where they weigh out for me:

P85 wins with: P version, pano roof, air suspension, dual chargers
85 wins with: 19" wheels, parking sensors, lower mileage, later build

I call all else a wash.

Biggest difference is the P version. Go with it.

Get the P85, you won't regret it. I basically have the car you are worried about and believe me this thing is awesome! The only features you are giving up are parking sensors and auto folding mirrors, maybe auto close charge port :biggrin: The P85 has a ton of instant torque and is a blast to drive. I also had the B battery pack.

P85 all the way between those 2 options. (But personally I'd probably try and find an AP unit if I was buying now)

I'd imagine you will want to upgrade either way before the 8 year warranty matters. Mine was a VIN 22XX so it's even earlier and I bought it used too, no regrets.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll also add....

The Pano Roof is a HUGE plus in my book. I don't even use it that much but the extra head room (both in front and back) and visual space it provides is tremendous. I've sat in a few solid roof cars and it's a bit more claustrophobic...to me anyway.

I'd call your insurance agent and get quotes, that will help you decide.

Already did that. The P85 is about $1200/yr with $500 deductibles full tort. The 85 is about $1140/yr for the same coverage.

- - - Updated - - -

Am I in the minority in thinking that AP is not really a big deal since I don't think I would ever use something like that?

How can I check the battery pack? Safe to say that I would want a B pack?

Get the P85, you won't regret it. I basically have the car you are worried about and believe me this thing is awesome! The only features you are giving up are parking sensors and auto folding mirrors, maybe auto close charge port :biggrin: The P85 has a ton of instant torque and is a blast to drive. I also had the B battery pack.

2013/2014 models don't have the auto close charge port unless you have a "D" in which case, for 2014, there was only the P85D.

There is a white sticker by the front passenger tire. You have to drop down and look carefully for it. The numbers will end in A, B , etc. if it's an A, maybe you could have them hook it up to a supercharger and take a screenshot of the center console while charging. I have a screenshot of mine and we can compare the volts/amps numbers.

I dont really care about autopilot either, but I am jealous of the auto park feature :biggrin:

Already did that. The P85 is about $1200/yr with $500 deductibles full tort. The 85 is about $1140/yr for the same coverage.

- - - Updated - - -

Am I in the minority in thinking that AP is not really a big deal since I don't think I would ever use something like that?

How can I check the battery pack? Safe to say that I would want a B pack?

Thanks everyone! I just put a deposit down on the 2013 P85! It's a CPO with the options that I listed in my op and I got it for $61k. I feel like it's a good deal. I did some reading about the battery pack difference and ultimately felt that for the price, I didn't really care between the A or B.

Wow! That's a fantastic deal. Your are going to love the car! I paid $69k back in July. 15k miles.

Thanks everyone! I just put a deposit down on the 2013 P85! It's a CPO with the options that I listed in my op and I got it for $61k. I feel like it's a good deal. I did some reading about the battery pack difference and ultimately felt that for the price, I didn't really care between the A or B.

I've been curious about the CPO pricing. Did you buy at the price they listed, or were you able to negotiate any?
thanks

You won't be disappointed. We got a CPO 2013 P85 (P064xx) which came with nearly every option and 17,000 miles in June. We had a 2014 85 loaner for 2 days while our car was in for some warranty work in late August. The 85 was similar to your other option, had some features not available on the older car (parking sensors, lane monitoring, speed monitoring), but had other features missing (solid roof, no premium sound, no tech package). While the parking sensors would have been nice, I liked the whole experience of our car better. Aside from the performance, all the other features just round the car out and make the whole experience nicer. And the performance is a blast.

Great choice and great deal! Congrats and enjoy! Wow, I wish CPO was around when I bought mine used...