Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 P85+ or a 2014 P85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for help in deciding on 2 vehicles. One is a P85+ but it's a 2013 or a 2014 new P85. cost is almost 10k difference in the 2 I am looking at but didn't know if that "value" of the plus package outweighs a year newer telsa?

thoughts?

Model year doesn't matter at all. But some options/features weren't available on earlier cars (folding mirrors, parking sensors, etc) and only came out in late 2013. So you have to compare the options, and the model year itself isn't as meaningful.

People LOVE their P85+. I've never driven one. If the options were similar, I'd probably go for the + in a heartbeat, especially if it were less expensive than a new P85 without the +.

Do you have lots of potholes where you live? The P85+ has 21 inch wheels with low profile tires. The P85 has either 19 inch wheels with "regular" sidewall tires or (as an option) 21 inch wheels with low profile tires. Many of us with the 21 inch wheels and low profile tires have switched to 19 inch wheels (such as the TSportline wheel which looks almost like Tesla's 21 inch wheel) so that "regular (normal)" sidewall tires can be installed, which are much less susceptible to damage from potholes. If you check this forum, you will see, for example, that a person in Boston has replaced 4 21 inch wheels and 4 tires in the last 8 weeks due to damage from potholes. This could be a factor in which car you decide to buy.

lol, I'm coming from a 2014 Corvette Stingray, 21s don't worry me at all. Both of the vehicles I'm looking at have 21s on them. Only real concern on the P85+ 2013, is the warranty, based on Tesla's site it sounds like I can't by the service plan? I'm about to call them but being the 2nd owner and not near a service center, I want to make sure I get all my bases covered.

have you had any issues with your p85+, I'm about 350 miles for the closest service center.

I've had minor stuff fixed. No issues that prevented me from driving. The stuff I've had: creaking suspension (fixed by re-torqueing subframe bolts), brake squeal (fixed with new rotors), vanity mirror lids fell off (replaced). Nothing big.

Advantage of getting a used car is that most issues show up early, so odds are they have already been fixed.