Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 P85 rear "clicking" noise on acceleration/deceleration

Jpballer88

Apr 2, 2018
Los Angeles
Hello all, I have a 2013 MS P85 - rebuilt title - with no support from Tesla at the moment.

I just finished replacing the front two wheel hub/bearing assemblies. The helicopter chopping noise went away and the car is very quiet now.

Being this quiet, I noticed another noise coming from the rear.

On acceleration from stop, I hear one or two clicking noises. Also when I let go of the "gas" pedal at slow speeds and it switches to regen, I hear a clicking noise.

Sounds almost like half shaft noise? Anyone replace these before or have any part numbers from having theirs replaced? I am capable of doing the service myself but would need some guidance. There is no clunking, just this distinct clicking noise on acceleration and deceleration. Any help will be appreciated :)

cytranic

Aug 14, 2015
FL
Mine does the same thing. I think a little noise is normal. mine hasnt really gotten worse, but a year or two before my warrenty is up I'm going to say something. Or if it gets worse.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
Hello all, I have a 2013 MS P85 - rebuilt title - with no support from Tesla at the moment.

I just finished replacing the front two wheel hub/bearing assemblies. The helicopter chopping noise went away and the car is very quiet now.

Being this quiet, I noticed another noise coming from the rear.

On acceleration from stop, I hear one or two clicking noises. Also when I let go of the "gas" pedal at slow speeds and it switches to regen, I hear a clicking noise.

Sounds almost like half shaft noise? Anyone replace these before or have any part numbers from having theirs replaced? I am capable of doing the service myself but would need some guidance. There is no clunking, just this distinct clicking noise on acceleration and deceleration. Any help will be appreciated :)
Yes.. a number of us have it. I've been told it may be hub bearing blocks.

There's a decent thread here on it, I just don't have it handy at the moment... if you can't find it PM me.

Jpballer88

Apr 2, 2018
Los Angeles
Tesla just replaced my whole drive unit, CV shafts, and I think the hubs. all under warranty. 60k miles.

Watched the video and that's exactly the noise I hear. I am painting my calipers today so I will take off the hub and try to lube that halfshaft where it attaches to the hub, and clean any rust or grime there. I heard that has helped people.

Atlantan

Inactive Member
Jun 8, 2016
Gwinnett County
So during the service appointment we couldn't reproduce this clicking sound. The tech said it could be fixed by lubing axle components. Will monitor it to see if it comes back. Other things I went in for (door handle and sunroof creaking) were fixed under CPO warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: LoL Rick

Jpballer88

Apr 2, 2018
Los Angeles
Does anyone know what kind of grease I should use? I am going to take it apart today and clean the splines and grease them up, hopefully that fixes it. It's pretty loud when you listen to it with the windows down. Clicking noise :(

Dithermaster

Dec 27, 2015
Madison, WI
My 2013 P85+ had that, twice. Each time service fixed it. One service ticket says "Rear Axle Nut Washer - LH & RH / Lubricate Rear Axle Splines and replace nut and washers."

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC