TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2013 P85 rear "clicking" noise on acceleration/deceleration

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Jpballer88, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Jpballer88

Jpballer88 Member

Hello all, I have a 2013 MS P85 - rebuilt title - with no support from Tesla at the moment.

I just finished replacing the front two wheel hub/bearing assemblies. The helicopter chopping noise went away and the car is very quiet now.

Being this quiet, I noticed another noise coming from the rear.

On acceleration from stop, I hear one or two clicking noises. Also when I let go of the "gas" pedal at slow speeds and it switches to regen, I hear a clicking noise.

Sounds almost like half shaft noise? Anyone replace these before or have any part numbers from having theirs replaced? I am capable of doing the service myself but would need some guidance. There is no clunking, just this distinct clicking noise on acceleration and deceleration. Any help will be appreciated :)

2. cytranic

cytranic Member

Mine does the same thing. I think a little noise is normal. mine hasnt really gotten worse, but a year or two before my warrenty is up I'm going to say something. Or if it gets worse.

3. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

Yes.. a number of us have it. I've been told it may be hub bearing blocks.

There's a decent thread here on it, I just don't have it handy at the moment... if you can't find it PM me.

4. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

• Like x 1
  5. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Tesla just replaced my whole drive unit, CV shafts, and I think the hubs. all under warranty. 60k miles.

6. Jpballer88

Jpballer88 Member

Watched the video and that's exactly the noise I hear. I am painting my calipers today so I will take off the hub and try to lube that halfshaft where it attaches to the hub, and clean any rust or grime there. I heard that has helped people.

7. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

Please clarify. Was this under a CPO warranty, or the 8 year infinite mile battery and drive unit warranty?

8. Atlantan

Atlantan Inactive Member

@jpatel14 I have the same clicking sound, have an appointment tomorrow...will report back what they end up doing. Have CPO warranty till Jun 2020.

9. SabrToothSqrl

I am under 'both' so I don't know that I could tell you. I'd guess the drive unit was under the 8 year, and the other parts CPO.

10. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

I asked because they refused to fix my axle shafts and hubs under the 8 year warranty. So it was probably your CPO warranty that paid for it.

11. SabrToothSqrl

Once my bumper2bumper is up... this thing is going on Craigslist. I'll drive my 2009 Tahoe until I decide what to do next. Gas will be cheaper than constantly fixing a S.

• Like x 2
  12. Atlantan

Atlantan Inactive Member

So during the service appointment we couldn't reproduce this clicking sound. The tech said it could be fixed by lubing axle components. Will monitor it to see if it comes back. Other things I went in for (door handle and sunroof creaking) were fixed under CPO warranty.

• Informative x 1
  13. Jpballer88

Jpballer88 Member

Does anyone know what kind of grease I should use? I am going to take it apart today and clean the splines and grease them up, hopefully that fixes it. It's pretty loud when you listen to it with the windows down. Clicking noise :(

14. ElectricT

ElectricT Member

Did you resolve this issue!?

15. Dithermaster

Dithermaster Member

My 2013 P85+ had that, twice. Each time service fixed it. One service ticket says "Rear Axle Nut Washer - LH & RH / Lubricate Rear Axle Splines and replace nut and washers."