Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 P85+ trade-in value at local BMW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, kinda very different.

It's kinda like a base S you can tell vs a P85+--simple. Very different looking cars.

To the average Joe no. But to me yes, I can certainly tell the difference. PLus better yet, I get to live with the difference--and it's amazing (P+ or RS7--there's a reason they are the top of the food chain).

But thanks for trying.

I didn't ask compared to the average Joe. Just you compared the Model S to the RS7, not RS7 to P+. I don't mean it as an attack, no doubt the RS7 is a gorgeous and rare car that I don't see enough of compared to stuff like the E63 S.

B&O brings nothing to the table in terms of sound quality. B&O is a design company, so you are paying for looks over performance. B&O has earned a high end reputation because of their amazing designs and high prices. But the performance lacks in almost every way. Brand whores would appreciate a B&O faceplate because it brings with it a certain psychosomatic effect.

So you obviously have NOT owned (or heard) a B&O system.

THERE is a HUGE difference (sound wise--and yes, you pay for the good stuff)--if you don't know that (after hearing) then sorry.

"But the performance lacks in every way"--are you even being serious now? The Tesla 'upgraded sound' is like an AM radio compared to B&O--that's a fact. Go find a B&O in a car and listen. But hey, you're angry and nothing will change you mind.

My point is, those that WANT to pay for something highend, they should have the option in Tesla--that's it. Wow.

Take the hate elsewhere, just making a factual comment as I've owned both. If you have, please describe.

Back to the OP, yes, resale is not great.

Last edited:
Given that your actual cost is $106.5k after fed rebate that is a 20% depreciation, inline with others cars in that price range. Don't you think so ?

This could have fetched $5k more if you sold it direct.

Except, you lose the sales tax value (sales tax in Texas for cars is 6.25%), so if you sell to individual and not dealer on a trade car, you lose about $6K...again just another point. But hey, just sharing my story.

Well have you ever owned a real high end system (B&O or Burmester)?

There is a reason they are $6-$8K options--worth every penny.

If you have you might think different.

Hey I owned Tesla's version, and it's not that great. But again, if you haven't had a high end system it's hard to compare.

/.../ Point is Tesla could make even more margin if they would offer a real high end system (people are willing to pay).

[My underline.]
If I’m not mistaken Tesla is on their second version of their stereo upgrade option. Did your car have the first or the second version?

My business skills...ok. Really tax credit--no kidding.

I better sell both of my companies I founded and get on unemployment since I have no business skills.

I was simply stating resales price.

Thanks for your feedback--I think.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I recall you had to sell the car, and sell it immediately, because you had to leave the country on short notice. Not exactly a fair comparison.

So there was a period where you criticized anyone not buying a P85+ because it was the most amazing thing ever, then in the span of a day or two you posted and sold it, and now you're back to complain about the resale value, how you'd never buy another one, and post about your new Audi?

Pretty unusual behavior, sir.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I recall you had to sell the car, and sell it immediately, because you had to leave the country on short notice. Not exactly a fair comparison.

So there was a period where you criticized anyone not buying a P85+ because it was the most amazing thing ever, then in the span of a day or two you posted and sold it, and now you're back to complain about the resale value, how you'd never buy another one, and post about your new Audi?

Pretty unusual behavior, sir.

Geesh--I forgot how hostile (defensive) Tesla owners can get.

I was merely reporting on my experience (as a former owner). Is this forum for only current owners?

Good gosh, take a chill pill.

People can report their experiences here when asked a question (or so I thought).

Never said a bad thing about the car, just the resale.

Wow--unbelievable the tense nature some owners take.

It wasn't anything close to hostile and I apologize if it came off that way, but I do think it's pretty dishonest to claim the resale value is terrible without noting you had to sell your car very quickly due to personal circumstances. That's not the car's fault.

Edit: spelling, and in regards to your edit,

Certainly we the comments on your experience were appreciated. I was merely pointing out the flaws with your editorializing. You've made personal attacks and called me names on five or six separate occasions in the past, and I probably let the color the tone of my post. It wasn't intentional.

Last edited:
It wasn't anything close to hostile and I apologize if it came off that way, but I do think it's pretty dishonest to claim the resale value is terrible without noting you had to sell you car very quickly due to personal circumstances. That's not the car's fault.

Let's be clear--I had up to two months to sell the car.

When six dealers and two wholesalers all gave me the about the same offer (plus or minus $2K) that's pretty revealing.

Nothing to to do with time frame or being desperate to sell. Just the resale value of the car.

No hate here my friend.

I hope to buy another once they have a larger battery pack. All's good in my book.

Enjoy your car in good health.

Last edited:
When six dealers and two wholesalers all gave me the about the same offer (plus or minus $2K) that's pretty revealing.
If I'm not mistaken, resale value in the general sense is the price of sale to a new owner.
Resellers lowball it to ensure a reasonable profit on the car and would easily realize a higher value selling to someone else than you did selling to them. If selling a car to a dealer of the same brand, they would probably be more willing to give higher offers since they are likely to profit more on it through service.
If you listed it for direct sale, I'm certain you would have received higher offers.

You're going to have to forgive the present Tesla owners Tex for being so defensive. You see, It's just that they drive the only car in America that if someone farts in it, it makes the front page the next day. The bad thing about being on top is that you can only go down. I on the other hand can appreciate what you are saying about the resale value of the S. There's nothing more I can say in its defense that already hasn't been stated in this thread. I guess it's just hard to swallow for some from someone who sold one, and only one but puts their two cents in because it comes off as holier than thou. In any case, I'm not defending the S (personally it doesn't need to be defended)...just the owners. I do find it a little weird to be posting in a forum for a car you used to own...kinda like lurking at your old high school--just a tiny bit weird. But, not that it's my place to say, you're more than welcome...it's what makes the forums interesting.

That's right! I remember now how you raved about your P85+ when you got it and had hundreds of posts encouraging people to go for the P85. I think you upsold at least a dozen buyers to the + with your reviews! You were a great spokes person. I think you more than once got accused of being a Tesla employee!

My favorite post of yours after someone had just ordered a P85+:

"Do it! Color is personal, but VERY excited about P85+. Coming from a 911 myself, you will LOVE this car--and I mean LOVE it! My 911 would collect dust even on the weekend--I take out the + every chance I get. The one thing I can tell you is different--no one really looked at the 911 (new 991 4S), the Tesla gets looks EVERY time I'm out in it.

VERY EXCITED FOR YOU!! "

I was sad to hear when you had to sell it. Fun times back then on the forum. Hope you are finding the same passion with the Audi.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. Tex is definitely not a Tesla hater. I recall when he sold his P85+ he said:

"I love it--best car I've owned and will get another. Just silly to have sitting in garage while I'm on this work contract back and forth to Singapore. Will get another one, later next year when contract is over."

No issues Tex. Glad to see you back on TMC. Peace.

I think you may see a 400mile pack for the S and/or X in the next couple years OR the SCs being able to fill half a battery in 5-10 minutes. Either enhancement should take away range anxiety. Charge Overnight at home for daily commute/driving. Charge quickly at SCs for long distance. That should be the tipping point for EVs having equal footing in the general public's mind with ICE vehicles. The early adopters of EVs, while concerned about these things, will still buy the S and X (as I have/will).

Once this happens I am confident you will be back for an AWD super S and pushing others to upgrade to it. :wink:

Tex, you make some valid points. I know...I probably have worked on every car you've owned ;) I totally get what you do and respect it. Life is short. If you have the means to experience all these cars, go for it!!! Share your experience like you have and be real. I for one, have experienced many cars that come through our doors. I'm also fortunate enough to have driven most of them, listen to the beautiful engine notes, stereos, etc. And guys like me get to be very close and intimate with them since we're their caretakers. When my clients are considering cars, they always pick up the phone and say.."Moe, I'm thinking of getting...., have you driven one? am I going to like it?" They put a lot of trust in me, so I also encourage you to be as honest and unbiased as you can, because people should ask and trust your advice since you've ACTUALLY owned and driven and experienced these cars.

Is Tesla a Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, BMW, etc. ??? NO. And that's what makes it unique and in it's own class.

It's not the most luxurious, not the longest heritage, not the fastest, not the most technologically innovative....

Wait....it actually is one of the most technologically innovative. It has accomplished what none of the aforementioned had the balls to do....get off oil!!! It has a maverick CEO and team that doesn't give a hoot what the haters say. It has a CEO that put his final $$ to save the skin of the company when investors didn't believe in it.

So, the reality is, there's room for improvement. Can it have better audio, hell yes. Can it get farther range...probably already in the works. Will it be more luxurious, I bet you the Model X will prove that. So, Tesla owners...please be cool headed and know, the world is watching and for the most part, we all are on your side. Media will spin things however they want, and if people like Musk will shrug it off, then be cool. This amazing brand and this amazing car has changed so many lives. It has nothing to prove....neither do you :)

Thanks for those that know I DO NOT hate the Tesla S. The EXACT opposite--I probably am indirectly responsible for at least a half dozen people going from P to P+.

The OP asked about resale and I answered. You have to have sold your car in order to give accurate feedback of your experience in selling :cursing:.

Never once bashed the Tesla in my post. But everyone jumps on me for selling? Sorry I didn't keep it--it's ok folks.

Just answering the post honestly.

For those complaining, chill, your car is good. Life is good. No need to bash someone giving an honest answer.

And yes AIMc, you hit the nail on the head--once the AWD with longer range comes out, I'll be first in line.

Heck I might even be persuaded before then, but reading some of these posts reminds me of the 'anti-anything else Tesla' some owners have...not cool at all.

Tex -- I'm more amazed that you flip cars 4 or 5 times a year. I drove a bunch of different cars before the Model S and most of them were totally uninteresting (should mention that they were all hybrids -- have to keep my HOV access), and I couldn't imagine finding that many cars that would capture my attention.

In any event, you must have gotten one heck of a deal to make $2,000 on your Merc S. How did that happen?

Finally, I'm not surprised that the P85+ didn't return quite as much money as you hoped. I tend to agree with others here that the S85 is probably closer to the sweet spot on resale value since it's difficult to recoup the value of certain options, such as the + package.