Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 P85 Unit Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m having an issue with a knocking noise in my drivetrain. Tesla quoted me $7300 for a new drive unit, but the unit was replaced under warranty 24k miles ago.

Has anyone else experienced this noise? I recorded a video this morning. It’s definitely not the same milling noise that most drive units experience. My hunch was a bad CV joint in one of the rear half shafts, but the service center says they see no failures there.

I’d appreciate any input!

https://youtu.be/HO-hNk8yQlY

I’m having an issue with a knocking noise in my drivetrain. Tesla quoted me $7300 for a new drive unit, but the unit was replaced under warranty 24k miles ago.

Has anyone else experienced this noise? I recorded a video this morning. It’s definitely not the same milling noise that most drive units experience. My hunch was a bad CV joint in one of the rear half shafts, but the service center says they see no failures there.

I’d appreciate any input!

https://youtu.be/HO-hNk8yQlY
Link doesn't work

Reactions: zoomer0056
It's a Rev-T drive unit, so I know a failed bearing is far less likely than one of the early revisions. The noise only occurs under motor load, and starts at 0:07 in the video. The SC tech said he'd never heard the noise before, but determined that it was coming from the DU.

Sounds exactly like my issue. I had a RDU replaced after being stranded on the highway in the pouring rain. It was replaced under warranty. Then I started hearing a similar noise a few years later and emailed Tesla management in the local service center about these concerns because I didnt want to have that same thing happen. It was disregarded and they told me it wasnt the issue. Now my vehicle is out of the extended warranty i purchased and the same service center is telling me that I have to change the RDU for $7500. Two weeks ago they told me it was my suspension control arms which I paid $2000 for. I forwarded the emails from when my car was under warranty and no one from manegement has responded to my calls/emails. I have contacted my attorney to address the matter. This is awful

I’m having FDU bearing & whining noise, I brought it into the service center, they said it was the rear drive unit so they replaced it. Picked up the vehicle today and……the same exact noise is still there bearing whining noise from the front. So frustrating.

15 Model S 85D 74k miles

I’m having FDU bearing & whining noise, I brought it into the service center, they said it was the rear drive unit so they replaced it. Picked up the vehicle today and……the same exact noise is still there bearing whining noise from the front. So frustrating.

15 Model S 85D 74k miles
Also the NEW RDU has a damn clunk when off and on gas lightly. So freakin Lame