Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 rear drive unit failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay so I figure the problem it's a cracked subframe, it's around 800-900 for the part and I'm not sure about the labor..gruber motors has a method that can fix the issue..does anyone know a shop in the bay area that can do the repairs ? Other then tesla s.f ?

Whining is usually inverter, fluid seal failure related.
My sister has one that has an electrical sound (high pitched frying bacon or welder type sound) that the service center said needs a whole new drive unit b/c it is the "link between the inverter and the motor"

Is that what you are referencing with your comment? Any way to solve it other than a full replacement? They want 6k for that.

Tesla SC told me all du's 4yrs/40k on Monday. Replacement on the way.
The only thing that matters is what’s in writing. Tesla service center employees are a terrible source of information unfortunately.

If you pay for an out of warranty replacement, it’s covered for 4 years or 50k miles per the parts, body, and paint repair warranty.

4BA4D8F5-1FAB-4D07-A359-46DAA711710D.jpeg

If the drive unit is replaced under the original 8 year warranty that came with the car, there is NO additional warranty beyond the original 8 years, even if it was replaced on year 8 day 364 and failed again on year 9 day 1.

766043DE-64D7-4594-834F-B7B9F2526882.jpeg

Reactions: henderrj