Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 S-85 75K miles, ESA, New DU. $39K . New York

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just ordered a new 100D and am reluctantly selling my beloved VIN 3662.

Dark green (with Opti-coat ceramic paint protection)

Includes ESA good through 100,000 miles/November 2019

19-inch wheels

Black Leather Interior, Heated Seats

Air Suspension

Aftermarket Evannex Center Console

Drive Unit replaced at 73,000 miles after technician heard the infamous milling sound at a regular service.

Battery (and software) upgraded from 60 to 85 at 11,000 miles. (Very possibly the only Model S to have done so; my gung-ho local service center did it before the factory told them they couldn't.) Battery currently retains 94 percent of capacity, with max indicated range of 250 miles.

This car has been featured in multiple articles on the website Green Car Reports. You can follow its entire history on the site.

One minor front-end scrape, fully repaired by authorized shop.

Car is located in Cornwall, NY, about 60 miles north of New York City. It looks and drives like new (except for 6-percent range loss.)

If you prefer, contact me directly at 845-534-2966 or [email protected]

No upgraded sound or Sirius XM. Sorry.

The battery was upgraded in late 2013 after I made a trip down I-95 from New York to Florida. At that time, Superchargers were few and far between, and with only 60 kWh and winter temperatures, there were a couple of occasions where I had to loiter at Nissan dealers to charge a few kWh to get to the next Supercharger. At other times, I had to keep the speed to 60 mph and turn off the cabin heat to make it.

Basically, I asked myself, why am I freezing in the slow lane in a $70,000 car?

Shortly after returning from the trip, I got an unexpected financial windfall, and decided to pursue the battery upgrade.

My local service center (White Plains, NY, since closed) said they weren't sure such a thing was even possible, but they would get back to me. Being an impatient sort, I called the factory the same day to ask them about the possibility. No way, said the factory. We don't do that. But the Service center called back the next day and said, Sure, we can do that. A week later, it was done: a complete upgrade to full 85 configuration, both battery and software, which allowed the motor to put out more power. (Noticeable difference in acceleration.) Even got the new 85 rear emblem.

Including a headlight upgrade to HID units, the whole thing cost about $20,000. I'm not aware of any other S-60 ever being upgraded, and I imagine the White Plains service manager got yelled at.

You can read the whole sage at Life With Tesla Model S: Battery Upgrade From 60 kWh To 85 kWh

• Informative
Reactions: kwjayhawk