Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 S 85 Charge Port Replacement Tips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Resurrecting this thread in the hopes someone out there might be able to give me any additional tips on a charge port replacement. I’ve got a 2013 P85 out of warranty and Tesla quoted me $850 to replace the charge port. The latch isn’t engaging the charging cable. Anyway, I got a used part on eBay for $75 and am going to do it myself. The hardware swap seems pretty straightforward but I’ve heard that I’ll need to configure the part with a firmware redeploy which I’m working on getting Tesla to push OTA so I have it staged and ready to go once the working part is swapped in. Does anyone have any advice, experience, tips on anything related to what I’ve mentioned above. Thanks in advance for any help provided. I’m planning on doing the work when my part arrives on Saturday. Cheers!

Well, yeah. PLEASE be careful. And if I were you, I would get in, roll down the window, and get out. Then bring up on the screen and SHUTDOWN the car without opening the door. The window is down so you can reach into the screen. And don't take my suggestion as the only thing you need to do to be safe and come out breathing on the other side of the job. Let us know how it goes.

I did the exact same thing with my 2013 just last year.
Agree with Akikiki fully shut down car from Screen. If you do it while sitting inside then the car will turn on the moment you open the door. Also have your trunk hatch open before you shut down. I actually had my 10 year old sit in the driver seat and shut down the car and then climb out the back with the back seats folded down. 😂
Otherwise yes straight forward swap.
You will get a bunch of errors but run the software update and you will be fine.
Oh one more thing I recall trying to be careful not to lose hold of any screws as they have a chance of falling behind a panel.

Reactions: Akikiki
Resurrecting this thread in the hopes someone out there might be able to give me any additional tips on a charge port replacement. I’ve got a 2013 P85 out of warranty and Tesla quoted me $850 to replace the charge port. The latch isn’t engaging the charging cable. Anyway, I got a used part on eBay for $75 and am going to do it myself. The hardware swap seems pretty straightforward but I’ve heard that I’ll need to configure the part with a firmware redeploy which I’m working on getting Tesla to push OTA so I have it staged and ready to go once the working part is swapped in. Does anyone have any advice, experience, tips on anything related to what I’ve mentioned above. Thanks in advance for any help provided. I’m planning on doing the work when my part arrives on Saturday. Cheers!
I'm interested to know, would you mind sharing the link to the part you added to the car?

I am interested in getting one of the self-closeing charge port doors also while upgrading my charge port (since mine can only be closed manually).

BTW, I've already done all the battery disconnecting and other good-to-know safety precautions, so this doesn't make me concerned I could die.

I'm interested to know, would you mind sharing the link to the part you added to the car?

I am interested in getting one of the self-closeing charge port doors also while upgrading my charge port (since mine can only be closed manually).

BTW, I've already done all the battery disconnecting and other good-to-know safety precautions, so this doesn't make me concerned I could die.
From what I remember, you cannot upgrade to a self closing charge port because they are incompatible on the older models. I know the mounting holes and shape of the charge port are different, and the wiring may also be different.

Moderator note: Moved a few posts to snippiness.

Reposting two lines from one of these posts because they contain important safety information:

Disconnect the 12v battery.
Disconnect the first responders loop.

Personally I would not do this sort of work myself, because I lack the training to work on high-voltage electrical systems. Anyone undertaking this kind of work does so at their own risk.

Thanks,

Bruce.

I did the exact same thing with my 2013 just last year.
Agree with Akikiki fully shut down car from Screen. If you do it while sitting inside then the car will turn on the moment you open the door. Also have your trunk hatch open before you shut down. I actually had my 10 year old sit in the driver seat and shut down the car and then climb out the back with the back seats folded down. 😂
Otherwise yes straight forward swap.
You will get a bunch of errors but run the software update and you will be fine.
Oh one more thing I recall trying to be careful not to lose hold of any screws as they have a chance of falling behind a panel.
Will an OTA update appear after the swap or do I need to wait until one becomes available?

Thank you. I've been around a while. I can remember when we move up to FW 3.1, My comment was a reply and primarily intended for @Keysla, as he had a reason to watch for one. I think the majority could see that, though.
Great! I recall that FW also.
And I too was responding to Keysla in regards to their situation as they asked me about having a software update.
Stating their is an updating coming without knowing what type of car Keysla has was a bit premature so I didn't want Keysla to get their hopes up.
Have a wonderful day!

Can you tell how you put in service mode ?
Once at a Tesla service center pull up your software in the menu. Hold down where it says “Model S P85” for about 3-5 seconds. When you let off, enter “service” for password. Once in service menu, request software reinstall, which will be approved immediately. At that point you can exit service mode and be on your way. Within one hour the yellow clock icon will appear top right. Do not start the update! Keep it staged for download. A perk is that you’ll see how many stored codes you have, or alerts. With new part (charge port) installed, run the software update. Voila.

DDFE4D8B-1A6C-48A6-9B41-AA1E2F663C1A.jpeg

Reactions: AustinP