Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 S 85 Charge Port Replacement Tips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, need your input. I have the locking pin that won't lock the handle. Tesla diagnosed and suggest a port replacement for many dollars. So, with an update waiting to be installed, I got a used port (1005612-00-k for a 2013 non mechanized port), disconnected HV loop and battery, removed tail lamp and the 2 HV cable screws and 4 port screws. Now, for some reason, I cannot separate the led light plastic trim from the port even though I separate the plastic tab to the right of the assembly that should allow me to separate both pieces. Am I missing something? The magnet appears not to move whatsoever whereas, when I de-clip the tab, the right of the assembly moves a little. Thanks in advance for your help. Cheers

Hi all, need your input. I have the locking pin that won't lock the handle. Tesla diagnosed and suggest a port replacement for many dollars. So, with an update waiting to be installed, I got a used port (1005612-00-k for a 2013 non mechanized port), disconnected HV loop and battery, removed tail lamp and the 2 HV cable screws and 4 port screws. Now, for some reason, I cannot separate the led light plastic trim from the port even though I separate the plastic tab to the right of the assembly that should allow me to separate both pieces. Am I missing something? The magnet appears not to move whatsoever whereas, when I de-clip the tab, the right of the assembly moves a little. Thanks in advance for your help. Cheers
I don’t have an answer to your question, my only advice is to be careful with the led trim, as a mobile tech once quoted me $200+ for a new one.

Hi, Thanks for the heads-up!

Finally managed to separate the led panel from the port. The issue was that it is a very sturdy clip and did not want to break it ( after all, it's a 200$ item :) ). So all is fine now on that issue. Now, because of that issue. I also looked at the service.Tesla.com Model S service manual guide and they mention we have to use a charge port guide tool in order to avoid stress on the charging pins. Have any of you had issues with that since we do not have access to that guide tool?

Hi guys. I just installed new charge port on my MS 2018 and was trying to update software using Service Mode but on the beginning of updating it was failed and says “Tesla update did not complete successfully. Please wait for new update to be sent to your car”. I already tried factory reset. Turn OFF and ON my car. But still no luck. Any advice?

Attachments

• 2911F9A4-F9A5-4AC5-A41E-36F9027129F0.jpeg
    2911F9A4-F9A5-4AC5-A41E-36F9027129F0.jpeg
    357 KB · Views: 70
Hi, Thanks for the heads-up!

Finally managed to separate the led panel from the port. The issue was that it is a very sturdy clip and did not want to break it ( after all, it's a 200$ item :) ). So all is fine now on that issue. Now, because of that issue. I also looked at the service.Tesla.com Model S service manual guide and they mention we have to use a charge port guide tool in order to avoid stress on the charging pins. Have any of you had issues with that since we do not have access to that guide tool?
I’ve done this twice and both times there were plenty of reference points on exactly how it slid back in and secured. You’ll see the outline of previous charge port installation, etc.
I’ve never used a tool for alignment, but that’s not to say someone in a different situation might indeed need it?

Hi guys. I just installed new charge port on my MS 2018 and was trying to update software using Service Mode but on the beginning of updating it was failed and says “Tesla update did not complete successfully. Please wait for new update to be sent to your car”. I already tried factory reset. Turn OFF and ON my car. But still no luck. Any advice?
The update failed, but not related to your install or that you requested via service menu. They do that in my experience. You can always re-request if it fails like that. If it continues to fail in the same way and is not relatable to any known issue, try whichever kind of download you didn’t try the last time (full/part).