Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 S - Can’t figure how to use my phone as a key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just purchased a sweet 2013 Model S that is in perfect showroom condition. It still has the Orignal version of the computer (which I plan to upgrade) and I can not figure out how to set my phone up on this car as a key. I did it on my 2022 Y with little effort. It was super easy, but on this one, I can‘t for the life of me figure it out. It has a key FOB rather than a card. I’ve found some instructions but they all seem to be for newer cars. I called the old owner and he said 100% he was able to use his phone as the key for walking up, getting in, and driving, but I can’t figure it out. Does anyone have some wisdom to share with me? I‘d greatly appreciate it.

I can unlock the car and control it from my phone because Tesla added it to my account, but it won't work as a key.

I just purchased a sweet 2013 Model S that is in perfect showroom condition. It still has the Orignal version of the computer (which I plan to upgrade) and I can not figure out how to set my phone up on this car as a key. I did it on my 2022 Y with little effort. It was super easy, but on this one, I can‘t for the life of me figure it out. It has a key FOB rather than a card. I’ve found some instructions but they all seem to be for newer cars. I called the old owner and he said 100% he was able to use his phone as the key for walking up, getting in, and driving, but I can’t figure it out. Does anyone have some wisdom to share with me? I‘d greatly appreciate it.

I can unlock the car and control it from my phone because Tesla added it to my account, but it won't work as a key.

You can't do it. "Phone as a key" (in the same sense as the Model 3/Y) was not a feature of the Model S/X until the latest refresh ("Palladium"), starting around 2021. Basically, the options on the 2013 Model S are to use the fob or the controls in the app. Note that the app controls require that both your smartphone and the car have Internet connectivity, which might be an issue if you're driving out to some rural area or in an underground parking garage.

Bruce.

EDIT: Congrats on the new car, and welcome to TMC!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yea I have a 2014 P85 and you can't use it as a card key. When that other owner you mentioned said he was 100% able to use the phone as a key, he's talking about the app. Not a key card.

Upvote 0