Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 S75 w/175,000 mi - Good Buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I've been trying to figure out how to get into a Tesla for years now!! New is is not an option so I've been scouring the interenet for used models. I stumbled across a 2013 Model S 60 kWh with 175,000 miles for a nice price. Instant trepidation set in but I know mileage isn't a 1:1 relationship with ICE cars. However, what makes it more interesting is that the battery was upgraded to a 75 kWh within the last month along with the suspension forelinks. The drive unit was replaced under warranty at about 60K miles.

Is there anything I should be cautious about or questions to ask? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Reactions: IdaX
There will be normal wear items with that many miles to check. CV joints and all suspension bushings. These aren't usually deal killers even if they need replaced. My BMW started eating half shafts at about 140K miles. Does it have air suspension - this is another potential costly wear item to be inspected. Any decent mechanic should be able to check these. Interior wise - check drivers seat for wear. Check for any other squeaks/rattles as those can get annoying with higher mileage vehicles and be difficult to locate.

Depends on the price! If the price is less than 22k-24k then it may be a good deal. You still have a few years left on the unlimited batt/drivetrain warranty? However, I am not sure if the 60 at that time had a different batt and drive unit warranty than the 85 cars had?

Hi everyone, I've been trying to figure out how to get into a Tesla for years now!! New is is not an option so I've been scouring the interenet for used models. I stumbled across a 2013 Model S 60 kWh with 175,000 miles for a nice price. Instant trepidation set in but I know mileage isn't a 1:1 relationship with ICE cars. However, what makes it more interesting is that the battery was upgraded to a 75 kWh within the last month along with the suspension forelinks. The drive unit was replaced under warranty at about 60K miles.

Is there anything I should be cautious about or questions to ask? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Whats the price?

DU replacement revision number will help us. Major plus is the battery was never charged to 100% (limited by being a 60) so you'll have some nice stretch room to work with for awhile still.

Find out how many door handles were replaced.
Check the MCU for bubbles or if it was replaced.
See if the tire pressure sensor system was ever replaced.
Why did they replace the suspension forelinks, was it goodwill, preventative?
Was the tail light asmbly ever replaced?
Last time the 12V was replaced?
If it has a sunroof, were the seals replaced yet or ever?

I have a 2013 S85, so I'm semi quoting all the issues I've had or encountered in my 121K miles.

I wouldn't touch anything with less than an 85kWh pack with that many miles. Why? Because the pack isn't covered for 8yrs and unlimited miles.

Also, the pack was likely a 75 from the beginning. If it is a CPO, Tesla probably unlocked it to get more $$ out of the next buyer... much like they do with FSD on their inventory and CPO models... even though that feature isn't available, they can still charge more if they say it's "enabled." Just my $.02

Whats the price?

DU replacement revision number will help us. Major plus is the battery was never charged to 100% (limited by being a 60) so you'll have some nice stretch room to work with for awhile still.

Find out how many door handles were replaced.
Check the MCU for bubbles or if it was replaced.
See if the tire pressure sensor system was ever replaced.
Why did they replace the suspension forelinks, was it goodwill, preventative?
Was the tail light asmbly ever replaced?
Last time the 12V was replaced?
If it has a sunroof, were the seals replaced yet or ever?

I have a 2013 S85, so I'm semi quoting all the issues I've had or encountered in my 121K miles.
spot on

Also, the pack was likely a 75 from the beginning. If it is a CPO, Tesla probably unlocked it to get more $$ out of the next buyer... much like they do with FSD on their inventory and CPO models... even though that feature isn't available, they can still charge more if they say it's "enabled." Just my $.02
No, in 2013 60 kWh batteries were 60 kWh batteries. How did the battery get replaced with a 75 kWh battery? Tesla doesn’t do that.

Of it may have lots of problems. But it'd be easier to comment if you can share the price.

Or they can have way less miles and tons of problems that can appear at any time. I’ve been in the SVC 9 times for problems in 15 months and right now, in the shop again. my mobile tesla app shows that the frunk and trunk have been open for two days straight which suggests to me they are chasing something pretty major. There is another member in here who has only 127,000 miles on their Model S and he has had to replace the drive unit three times during that time.

If it were me I think I’d say “Good bye,” and keep looking.

No, in 2013 60 kWh batteries were 60 kWh batteries. How did the battery get replaced with a 75 kWh battery? Tesla doesn’t do that.

THIS. There is no such thing as a 2013 S75 from Tesla.

Tesla does replace batteries with newer bigger packs, but only in warranty replacements and only when they don't have the original pack. Also have seen cases where people were able to outright buy the bigger pack and get it replaced. I have only heard of this on 85 to 90 upgrades. Warranty replacement is how my 2012 P85 became a "P90" even though the avatar shows 90, as they didn't ever build a P90. The car's software allows for all sorts of configurations that may have never been "production" models.

Reactions: kingjamez
With that kind of mileage, the S75 is likely past the battery pack and drive unit warranties that were capped at 100,000 or 120,000 miles for the non-P cars. A new DU can easily set you back several thousand dollars. A new battery pack can set you back over $20,000. I would seriously consider those ramifications.

Or they can have way less miles and tons of problems that can appear at any time. I’ve been in the SVC 9 times for problems in 15 months and right now, in the shop again. my mobile tesla app shows that the frunk and trunk have been open for two days straight which suggests to me they are chasing something pretty major. There is another member in here who has only 127,000 miles on their Model S and he has had to replace the drive unit three times during that time.

If it were me I think I’d say “Good bye,” and keep looking.

Me... maybe someone else, but also me :)