Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 S85 Battery Replacement (Out of warranty) - my experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Conspiring? Yes, it’s a screwd business move to take out all of the remaining free supercharging cars AND make a huge margin on the battery “upgrade”. Or if the people just happen to get disgusted with Tesla they may just dump that pos and get a new car with “no problems”!

I also forgot to mention the legions of AUSAs familiar with 18 U.S.C. § 1343 who would be licking their chops at the thought of bringing down executives at one of the most valuable companies on wire fraud charges. It would be the crime of the century, surpassing Madoff & Co. because of the sheer number of victims.

It just takes one whistleblower to light the whole thing off. Tesla has over 100,000 employees. Who's gonna be the one to become a hero?

Got a call today from a lead tech who is there temporarirly that flies in the face of what they said before.
He doesn't know any of the other techs names of people I've talked to in a month of my car being there.

The other techs said they'd give me follow ups, but he says they won't and I need to pick up my car from service.

And he is saying there is NO Battery or battery range warranty for 8 years. On new cars there is - and it is is currently up to 70% degradation.

But the original 2014/15 like mine didn't have battery or degradation warranty. So warranty is not applicable to me - no range or degradation warranty - not applicable at all.

This totally flies in the face of what I was told about other techs seeing a BMS and battery issue on my car, and escalating it up their technical department.

The 'lead tech' who doesn't know anyone else said they don't replace battery packs on these cars. I mentioned there are many have been done under warranty and I saw this online, but he said the internet is not best source... we don't know why those same year battery packs got replaced.

He says battery is functional and drives the vehicle... it is not eligible for any kind of warranty claim, and they can't and won't look at degradation or warranty it. And the BMS issues they said I've had repeatedly are not battery issues.

Is this correct? What the heck is the 8 year battery warranty for? And why would the techs tell me I have a problem and they are escalating if there is no warranty on it? Makes no sense.

So warranty is not applicable to me - no range or degradation warranty - not applicable at all.

He is correct, there is no range/degradation warranty on the 2014/2015 Model S.

Is this correct? What the heck is the 8 year battery warranty for?
Yes. The warranty covers failure of the battery. Failure would be that the battery throws a fault (like "maximum battery charge level reduced"), stops charging, or stops being able to provide enough power to drive your car. (I suppose technically if it only charged and drove your vehicle 10 miles, that still wouldn't be a covered warranty issue.)

So, during this visit, the techs said (in writing) that they see problems with my battery pack and BMS, and are having meetings to review, and will call me back. They said they'd escalate to higher level techs / engineering for research. They did not call me back, other than today to say there is no coverage.

Why did they say there were problems and keep the car for a month then? If they said there were problems, and they were researching, they should follow up and do what they said. Period.

Why did they say there were problems and keep the car for a month then? If they said there were problems, and they were researching, they should follow up and do what they said. Period.
It sounds like they did. They researched it, and determined it wasn't really an issue and let you know that there was nothing further for them to do at this time.

Congrats. I’m hearing of more and more people opting for the Reman 85 and getting a brand new 90 with no software limitations. Same happened to me in November and so far the range and charge rate have been excellent. Now I have a 10 year old P85 with a brand new battery. The great thing now is that you can super charge as much as you want since battery degradation on a 10 year old car really won’t matter since I don’t expect to hold it for another 10 years.

It sounds like they did. They researched it, and determined it wasn't really an issue and let you know that there was nothing further for them to do at this time.
So you think it's reasonable that they said in writing there are problems with the battery, and they will research further to get back to me - but the only research was to say after 1 full month that they can't tell me what the problems are and that the 8 year battery warranty was not valid for 2014-15 models? (which is completely untrue). That is what you consider good research?

The lied to me constantly about having a technical followup, which they never did, only to come up with a way to say my battery never had a warranty.

In the meantime I get as much range as a nissan leaf, driving my P85D in chill mode & range mode like a grandma.

It seems you are also pro corporations lying to customers, and keeping their property under false premise for over a month, only to not do what they promised and bully them instead. Thanks for your pro-corporate "contribution". Please don't "contribute" with replies to me anymore.

Last edited:
So you think it's reasonable that they said in writing there are problems with the battery, and they will research further to get back to me - but the only research was to say after 1 full month that they can't tell me what the problems are and that the 8 year battery warranty was not valid for 2014-15 models? (which is completely untrue). That is what you consider good research?

The lied to me constantly about having a technical followup, which they never did, only to come up with a way to say my battery never had a warranty.

In the meantime I get as much range as a nissan leaf, driving my P85D in chill mode & range mode like a grandma.

It seems you are also pro corporations lying to customers, and keeping their property under false premise for over a month, only to not do what they promised and bully them instead. Thanks for your pro-corporate "contribution". Please don't "contribute" with replies to me anymore.
So much to unpack here.

Are you a tesla employee? Ah.. cool, didn’t think so. Guess you don’t know what they actually did.

“Don’t contribute with replies”? Uhhh no. You don’t get to tell people not to reply when you asked for the group’s opinions, cherry picking the responses you wish while ignoring others is the literal worst part of today’s society.

at the end of the day, you’re the one that’s bummed out. While others quite literally get to ‘pass you by’, not driving like a grandma in a p85d leaf. 😂

There are ways to attempt to get (Tesla’s) eyes on your situation, being sad about corporations and attempting to play that card while also boasting about your ‘expensive’ toy, isn’t one of them.

but the only research was to say after 1 full month that they can't tell me what the problems are and that the 8 year battery warranty was not valid for 2014-15 models? (which is completely untrue). That is what you consider good research?

I suspect that you misunderstood what they told you. They didn't, or at least should have, said that your battery never had a warranty, as it obviously does/did. But it does not have the warranty currently advertised on their site that covers degradation past 30%. (That warranty started for new sales in February 2020, if I recall correctly. )

You would have to find the warranty that was in effect on the day your vehicle was originally purchased to see the terms. (But as I said before a 2014/2015 model only came with a HV battery warranty that covers failure, i.e. the inability to charge and/or drive, it doesn't cover degradation at all.)

It seems you are also pro corporations lying to customers, and keeping their property under false premise for over a month, only to not do what they promised and bully them instead.

Should they have taken a month to tell you that? No, they shouldn't have.

Reactions: P85D-low-range
Here are the battery warranties for a 2012-at least 2016. Tesla does an extremely good job of hiding the battery warranty, to the point, at least for me, of removing it even from my vehicle documents page on the tesla site.

Attachments

• Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program _ Tesla.pdf
    73.3 KB · Views: 103
  • Vehicle Warranty _ Tesla.pdf
    169.1 KB · Views: 128

Please let me know if you're considering selling. I may be interested. What was the delivery date of your MS so that I can determine if it is still under an 8 year HV battery warranty?

Last edited:
Reactions: P85D-low-range
Here are the battery warranties for a 2012-at least 2016. Tesla does an extremely good job of hiding the battery warranty, to the point, at least for me, of removing it even from my vehicle documents page on the tesla site.
I tried to open these pdfs. Instead of opening them in my browser (Safari), I just get a “download“ button. When I press the button, the Safari window closes without showing the pdf file. I am using my iPad, which used to work find with pdf attachments on TMC. Anyone know how to view these files?

Thanks,

GSP

I tried to open these pdfs. Instead of opening them in my browser (Safari), I just get a “download“ button. When I press the button, the Safari window closes without showing the pdf file. I am using my iPad, which used to work find with pdf attachments on TMC. Anyone know how to view these files?

Thanks,

GSP
Download, open within notes app.

Thanks,

GSP

When I download documents within Safari, typically a blue arrow icon shows up in/near the URL bar. Tapping on this brings up a Downloads screen which should show the PDF.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP

Thanks,

GSP
Just normal PDF's. I printed to PDF from the Tesla Website once I finally found the warranties after hours of digging.

So much to unpack here.

Are you a tesla employee? Ah.. cool, didn’t think so. Guess you don’t know what they actually did.

“Don’t contribute with replies”? Uhhh no. You don’t get to tell people not to reply when you asked for the group’s opinions, cherry picking the responses you wish while ignoring others is the literal worst part of today’s society.

at the end of the day, you’re the one that’s bummed out. While others quite literally get to ‘pass you by’, not driving like a grandma in a p85d leaf. 😂

There are ways to attempt to get (Tesla’s) eyes on your situation, being sad about corporations and attempting to play that card while also boasting about your ‘expensive’ toy, isn’t one of them.
Talk about hypocrisy. You wrote me to tell me that I cannot say something on a public forum? I didn't violate any rules. But here you are trying to supress me, while complaining that I was doing exactly that, you decide to do it yourself while criticizing that action? Lol. You are hilarious. Pot calling the kettle black much?

I politely said Please don't "contribute" to him being negative and clearly not contributing or being helpful, but instead attacking me.

At least I said please, unlike you.

And you're attacking me for having an 'expensive' toy too? I never said that, and I wasn't bragging. Was I bragging about my expensive possessions? No I was not. Direct your hostility elsewhere, my friend, it's misdirected.

• Funny
Reactions: buckets0fun