Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 S85 Battery Replacement (Out of warranty) - my experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn’t win the lottery but for some reason I was expecting a 85 350v from the conversations. Received a 85 400v. Currently 261 “ideal” miles at 95% charge. Prior HV battery was at 229 at 100%. Not bad at all!!!!! Still overall happy but told the manager I was displeased at the poor communication because they said I am was pretty much guaranteed a 85 350v. He responded the next time I have a service he would try to give me a discount (lol I’m hoping for a drive unit failure now). Overall 9/10. $15.2k out the door.

I’m thinking it of it this way. The 85 400v has been tested in real world, mine lasted 180k miles. The 350v has only been out for a year or so right? So who knows the longevity of those. Also remanufactured just means same shell, new cells. I was legit frightened at the fact they would give me one that was “used” but the computer tells me it’s freshhhhh.

Reactions: Smc171
That’s exactly what I thought until I saw the range exactly at 265ish. If the cells were used, how is it still projecting maximum “ideal” range? The 85 is rated at 265 (new).

I was also told they do not make any “new” 85s. They just take an old shell and fill it up with new cells. The pack I received had 0 prior miles. Again this is from their word only. I haven’t seen any evidence to dispute this and the Tesla onboard computer is confirming the fresh cells.

Or am I getting rated and ideal mixed up?

Last edited:
That’s exactly what I thought until I saw the range exactly at 265ish. If the cells were used, how is it still projecting maximum “ideal” range? The 85 is rated at 265 (new).

I was also told they do not make any “new” 85s. They just take an old shell and fill it up with new cells. The pack I received had 0 prior miles. Again this is from their word only. I haven’t seen any evidence to dispute this and the Tesla onboard computer is confirming the fresh cells.

Or am I getting rated and ideal mixed up?
It sounds like you're getting rated and ideal mixed up. The old 2013 Model S 85 RWD originally had a 265 rated mile range with a fresh battery pack. We bought ours used at 60K miles and saw a rated range of 256 before we were nerfed to 242, then 232. From what I gather here on the forum Tesla has shifted into making a 350V 90kWh pack that has 14 modules and can be software limited to something closer to the 85kWh pack. The 400V 85kWh packs are refurbished from older packs and are covered under Tesla's warranty. I'm curious to know what the Supercharging curve of your old pack compared to the one that was just installed.

It sounds like you're getting rated and ideal mixed up. The old 2013 Model S 85 RWD originally had a 265 rated mile range with a fresh battery pack. We bought ours used at 60K miles and saw a rated range of 256 before we were nerfed to 242, then 232. From what I gather here on the forum Tesla has shifted into making a 350V 90kWh pack that has 14 modules and can be software limited to something closer to the 85kWh pack. The 400V 85kWh packs are refurbished from older packs and are covered under Tesla's warranty. I'm curious to know what the Supercharging curve of your old pack compared to the one that was just installed.
well in that case they totally f’d me because that makes sense now with the rated miles. I put the whole charge my on credit card so I’ll let you guys know if I’m locked out of the car haha 😂.

Apparently there is something f’d up going on:

They added another $200 in labor fees (Discharge HV battery). I never received a copy of the new invoice when I paid and I never physically signed any of the invoices in person. This totals 4 estimates I was given. The only invoices I accepted were on the app and I actually never accepted the last one because the app locked me out and said talk to the advisor. Never told me the new total. They just ran my card and gave me the keys and I just left. Didn’t sign anything or receive a copy of receipt. I didn’t really think this was unsual until now. I went back into the app and is the total go up $200. Wtf!!!

So not only this, I also have them in chat saying the 85 I am getting is 350v and not 400v. Granted I’m kinda stupid in believing the SC, but at this point I think something really messed up is going on. They also told me that estimates are legal binding agreements??? Because as soon as I saw it was a 400v, I told them that they confirmed over chat it was going to be a 90 limited down to 85. *sigh* and then the manager said the estimate is legally binding (even before the battery was installed) because I did accept the original estimate for that B revision on the app only.

Attachments

• 2C596040-F0AB-4DC0-A808-DB6BCCDEE869.png
    2C596040-F0AB-4DC0-A808-DB6BCCDEE869.png
    480.2 KB · Views: 175
  • 11E8A538-16A9-450E-97FF-53CD17FBC643.png
    11E8A538-16A9-450E-97FF-53CD17FBC643.png
    606.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
I know there are other threads on the topic, but I thought I would share my experience separately so it does not get lost in another's thread.

Background: 2013 Tesla Model S 85, 127k mi. Original battery as far as I am aware (1014114-00-B, T13A0004404 [Jan 2013?])

• Nov 19: BMS_u029 error message after supercharge to 90%+
    • Vehicle seems to not charge
    • "Maximum battery charge level reduced"
    • "OK to drive - Schedule service"
  • Nov 23: Scheduled service/diagnostic
    • Requested diagnostic first
      • Wanted to know if terminal battery failure or if could possibly be something else
    • If battery needed:
      • What options available? 85/90/100kWh? New vs reman? Costs?
      • Lead-times for battery packs?
      • Expected turnaround/labor times?
      • Loaner availability?
    • Appt set for Nov 26th
  • Nov 26: Service appointment
    • Was advised that diagnostic was done remotely, new HV battery needed
    • Was given options of 85 or 90 kWh replacement packs
      • Confirmed either choice would be reman pack, would come with 4y 50k mi warranty
85kWh: $13,500 (HV bat) + $429 (labor) +tax = ~$15k
90kWh: $17,000 (HV bat) + ~$900 (ancillary parts, mostly suspension for the 'upgrade') + $429 (labor) +tax =~$20k
    • Service Center advisor informed that if 90 chosen, the cost would be as outlined above ~$20k. If 85 chosen, price would be the ~$15k above
      • HOWEVER: Tesla can provide the 90 in lieu of the 85 (if they choose, pending availability or other reasons). If this were to occur, the 'ancillary' costs above would be waived.
        • If the 90 is installed in place of the 85, the 5 differential can be software unlocked for $750
    • Was advised that a battery would take 2-3 weeks to arrive, and that the battery could not be ordered unless drop car off and sign service agreement.
    • Was offered a loaner (likely M3), but would not be available until Monday (this was on a Saturday)
  • Nov 28: Service Center
    • Chose to have replacement 85 kWh battery (🤞🏻 for 90) @ ~$15k
    • Was anticipating loaner, but I asked if we could instead let me continue to drive my car until the replacement arrived
      • I chose to pursue if it were possible to retain my car instead of take a loaner for the time waiting on the replacement HV battery arrival. Was initially told this is not possible but upon further review was allowed to do this. I am out of warranty, I did not feel comfortable taking advantage of a free loaner for 3 weeks. The car was still charging to ~90 miles, I could make do for this time.
    • Via app messaging: was advised that the battery was ordered and they would contact me when arrived in order to arrange replacement
  • Dec 5: Advised ETA of HV battery, Dec 15
    • Was periodically updated, ETA changed to Dec 16
  • Dec 16 (fri): Advised HV battery arrived, loaner available
    • Arranged to come in same-day to drop off car and pick up loaner ('22 MY perf.)
  • Dec 17 (sat): Advised vehicle ready for pickup
    • Invoice showed ~$17k (was supposed to be ~$15k), had a few suspension items on it that should not have been
      • My service advisor was unavailable (weekend), decided to keep loaner until Monday when he was back in the office
  • Dec 19 (mon): Corrected invoice was provided, first thing in the morning
    • $13,250 HV battery (ASY-HV BATTERY,SX-SW LIM 85(1918190-85-A)) + $25.92 (battery bolts) + $429 (labor) + $1028.89 (tax) = $14,733.81 total
    • Paid and picked up

• Pre-repair:
    • Rated (not ideal) range @ 100% = ~228mi (of 265mi when new, ~14% degradation)
    • Rough supercharging rate was something like SoC + kW = 100 to 105
      • Example @ 25% SoC I would see ~ 80kW
  • Post-repair:
    • Rated range @ 100% = 298mi (via Teslafi)
      • I have only charged 3 times (to 80%) since the repair, but the range estimated range has actually slightly increased from 296 to 298 over this time.
    • Rough supercharging rate: SoC + kW = 130 to 140, and maintains higher kW much deeper into the curve

It seems I was provided the 90 kWh and from what I can see it is not software limiting. Range and SC charging rates are much improved. All around extremely happy with the service provided, the communication I received, and with the car, despite the hefty price tag on this repair. As I understand it, this is effectively the newest tech for the S batteries, I expect it to last significantly longer than the original.

I know there are other threads on the topic, but I thought I would share my experience separately so it does not get lost in another's thread.

Background: 2013 Tesla Model S 85, 127k mi. Original battery as far as I am aware (1014114-00-B, T13A0004404 [Jan 2013?])

• Wanted to know if terminal battery failure or if could possibly be something else
    • If battery needed:
      • Loaner availability?
    • Appt set for Nov 26th
      • Confirmed either choice would be reman pack, would come with 4y 50k mi warranty
90kWh: $17,000 (HV bat) + ~$900 (ancillary parts, mostly suspension for the 'upgrade') + $429 (labor) +tax =~$20k
    • Service Center advisor informed that if 90 chosen, the cost would be as outlined above ~$20k. If 85 chosen, price would be the ~$15k above
      • HOWEVER: Tesla can provide the 90 in lieu of the 85 (if they choose, pending availability or other reasons). If this were to occur, the 'ancillary' costs above would be waived.
        • If the 90 is installed in place of the 85, the 5 differential can be software unlocked for $750
    • Was advised that a battery would take 2-3 weeks to arrive, and that the battery could not be ordered unless drop car off and sign service agreement.
    • Was offered a loaner (likely M3), but would not be available until Monday (this was on a Saturday)
    • Was anticipating loaner, but I asked if we could instead let me continue to drive my car until the replacement arrived
      • I chose to pursue if it were possible to retain my car instead of take a loaner for the time waiting on the replacement HV battery arrival. Was initially told this is not possible but upon further review was allowed to do this. I am out of warranty, I did not feel comfortable taking advantage of a free loaner for 3 weeks. The car was still charging to ~90 miles, I could make do for this time.
    • Via app messaging: was advised that the battery was ordered and they would contact me when arrived in order to arrange replacement
    • Arranged to come in same-day to drop off car and pick up loaner ('22 MY perf.)
    • Invoice showed ~$17k (was supposed to be ~$15k), had a few suspension items on it that should not have been
      • My service advisor was unavailable (weekend), decided to keep loaner until Monday when he was back in the office
    • $13,250 HV battery (ASY-HV BATTERY,SX-SW LIM 85(1918190-85-A)) + $25.92 (battery bolts) + $429 (labor) + $1028.89 (tax) = $14,733.81 total
    • Paid and picked up

• Pre-repair:
  • Post-repair:
      • I have only charged 3 times (to 80%) since the repair, but the range estimated range has actually slightly increased from 296 to 298 over this time.
    • Rough supercharging rate: SoC + kW = 130 to 140, and maintains higher kW much deeper into the curve

It seems I was provided the 90 kWh and from what I can see it is not software limiting. Range and SC charging rates are much improved. All around extremely happy with the service provided, the communication I received, and with the car, despite the hefty price tag on this repair. As I understand it, this is effectively the newest tech for the S batteries, I expect it to last significantly longer than the original.
Hi. I am conducting a research project on EV batteries in my grad class. You willing or able to conduct a quick 10-minute interview via zoom based on your battery replacement experience? Thank you.

Hi. I am conducting a research project on EV batteries in my grad class. You willing or able to conduct a quick 10-minute interview via zoom based on your battery replacement experience? Thank you.
I had similar experience. In fact, have started a Facebook Group with now over 80 members Tesla BMS_u029 | Facebook

I can help with your project. Please contact me anytime.

Reactions: byeLT4

• If battery needed:
      • Loaner availability?
    • Appt set for Nov 26th
    • Paid and picked up

• Pre-repair:
  • Post-repair:

Appreciate this detailed write up. Super helpful.

There's some deep, dark cynicism here.

Imagine the folks in charge at Tesla felt that way. They flipped a switch and batteries started to "fail." How many employees would have to be in the loop? Dozens? Hundreds? How do you prevent just one of them from growing a conscience and running to the LA Times? Investigations follow, then lawsuits. Discovery opens up internal communications, and you can't hide the evidence behind such a thing because it requires software changes. Tesla would cease to exist as a company shortly after that point.

Even if someone was that evil, the risks so far exceed any possible reward that it would be an impossibly bad business move. Nobody is conspiring to unnecessarily sell you a battery. Especially in a time when battery demand far outstrips supply.
Agree. Maybe I'm naive though. But I can't see something this overt going on. Never say never though - look at what VW did...

I genuinely don’t think that this is some master plan that Tesla is executing. But rather what’s happening is that with each software update some of the tolerances are getting smaller as a relates to the battery and battery health. As a result more things are popping up as faults and causing the battery to shut down to protect itself than what it may have been in the past.

I had my P 85, 2013 model S battery fail back in September 2022. Unfortunately it was out of warranty and I had to deal with the same issues on this thread. In the end Tesla ran out of 85s so they put a brand new 90 in and did not software limited.

I genuinely don’t think that this is some master plan that Tesla is executing. But rather what’s happening is that with each software update some of the tolerances are getting smaller as a relates to the battery and battery health. As a result more things are popping up as faults and causing the battery to shut down to protect itself than what it may have been in the past.

I had my P 85, 2013 model S battery fail back in September 2022. Unfortunately it was out of warranty and I had to deal with the same issues on this thread. In the end Tesla ran out of 85s so they put a brand new 90 in and did not software limited.
Assuming you had the BMS_u029 alert. If so, join us here. We could use your input. Tesla BMS_u029/BMS_u018 | Facebook