Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 S85 Battery Replacement (Out of warranty) - my experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there are other threads on the topic, but I thought I would share my experience separately so it does not get lost in another's thread.

Background: 2013 Tesla Model S 85, 127k mi. Original battery as far as I am aware (1014114-00-B, T13A0004404 [Jan 2013?])

• Nov 19: BMS_u029 error message after supercharge to 90%+
    • Vehicle seems to not charge
    • "Maximum battery charge level reduced"
    • "OK to drive - Schedule service"
  • Nov 23: Scheduled service/diagnostic
    • Requested diagnostic first
      • Wanted to know if terminal battery failure or if could possibly be something else
    • If battery needed:
      • What options available? 85/90/100kWh? New vs reman? Costs?
      • Lead-times for battery packs?
      • Expected turnaround/labor times?
      • Loaner availability?
    • Appt set for Nov 26th
  • Nov 26: Service appointment
    • Was advised that diagnostic was done remotely, new HV battery needed
    • Was given options of 85 or 90 kWh replacement packs
      • Confirmed either choice would be reman pack, would come with 4y 50k mi warranty
85kWh: $13,500 (HV bat) + $429 (labor) +tax = ~$15k
90kWh: $17,000 (HV bat) + ~$900 (ancillary parts, mostly suspension for the 'upgrade') + $429 (labor) +tax =~$20k
    • Service Center advisor informed that if 90 chosen, the cost would be as outlined above ~$20k. If 85 chosen, price would be the ~$15k above
      • HOWEVER: Tesla can provide the 90 in lieu of the 85 (if they choose, pending availability or other reasons). If this were to occur, the 'ancillary' costs above would be waived.
        • If the 90 is installed in place of the 85, the 5 differential can be software unlocked for $750
    • Was advised that a battery would take 2-3 weeks to arrive, and that the battery could not be ordered unless drop car off and sign service agreement.
    • Was offered a loaner (likely M3), but would not be available until Monday (this was on a Saturday)
  • Nov 28: Service Center
    • Chose to have replacement 85 kWh battery (🤞🏻 for 90) @ ~$15k
    • Was anticipating loaner, but I asked if we could instead let me continue to drive my car until the replacement arrived
      • I chose to pursue if it were possible to retain my car instead of take a loaner for the time waiting on the replacement HV battery arrival. Was initially told this is not possible but upon further review was allowed to do this. I am out of warranty, I did not feel comfortable taking advantage of a free loaner for 3 weeks. The car was still charging to ~90 miles, I could make do for this time.
    • Via app messaging: was advised that the battery was ordered and they would contact me when arrived in order to arrange replacement
  • Dec 5: Advised ETA of HV battery, Dec 15
    • Was periodically updated, ETA changed to Dec 16
  • Dec 16 (fri): Advised HV battery arrived, loaner available
    • Arranged to come in same-day to drop off car and pick up loaner ('22 MY perf.)
  • Dec 17 (sat): Advised vehicle ready for pickup
    • Invoice showed ~$17k (was supposed to be ~$15k), had a few suspension items on it that should not have been
      • My service advisor was unavailable (weekend), decided to keep loaner until Monday when he was back in the office
  • Dec 19 (mon): Corrected invoice was provided, first thing in the morning
    • $13,250 HV battery (ASY-HV BATTERY,SX-SW LIM 85(1918190-85-A)) + $25.92 (battery bolts) + $429 (labor) + $1028.89 (tax) = $14,733.81 total
    • Paid and picked up

• Pre-repair:
    • Rated (not ideal) range @ 100% = ~228mi (of 265mi when new, ~14% degradation)
    • Rough supercharging rate was something like SoC + kW = 100 to 105
      • Example @ 25% SoC I would see ~ 80kW
  • Post-repair:
    • Rated range @ 100% = 298mi (via Teslafi)
      • I have only charged 3 times (to 80%) since the repair, but the range estimated range has actually slightly increased from 296 to 298 over this time.
    • Rough supercharging rate: SoC + kW = 130 to 140, and maintains higher kW much deeper into the curve

It seems I was provided the 90 kWh and from what I can see it is not software limiting. Range and SC charging rates are much improved. All around extremely happy with the service provided, the communication I received, and with the car, despite the hefty price tag on this repair. As I understand it, this is effectively the newest tech for the S batteries, I expect it to last significantly longer than the original.

Last edited:
I know there are other threads on the topic, but I thought I would share my experience separately so it does not get lost in another's thread.

Background: 2013 Tesla Model S 85, 127k mi. Original battery as far as I am aware (1014114-00-B, T13A0004404 [Jan 2013?])

• Nov 19: BMS_u029 error message after supercharge to 90%+
    • Vehicle seems to not charge
    • "Maximum battery charge level reduced"
    • "OK to drive - Schedule service"
  • Nov 23: Scheduled service/diagnostic
    • Requested diagnostic first
      • Wanted to know if terminal battery failure or if could possibly be something else
    • If battery needed:
      • What options available? 85/90/100kWh? New vs reman? Costs?
      • Lead-times for battery packs?
      • Expected turnaround/labor times?
      • Loaner availability?
    • Appt set for Nov 26th
  • Nov 26: Service appointment
    • Was advised that diagnostic was done remotely, new HV battery needed
    • Was given options of 85 or 90 kWh replacement packs
      • Confirmed either choice would be reman pack, would come with 4y 50k mi warranty
85kWh: $13,500 (HV bat) + $429 (labor) +tax = ~$15k
90kWh: $17,000 (HV bat) + ~$900 (ancillary parts, mostly suspension for the 'upgrade') + $429 (labor) +tax =~$20k
    • Service Center advisor informed that if 90 chosen, the cost would be as outlined above ~$20k. If 85 chosen, price would be the ~$15k above
      • HOWEVER: Tesla can provide the 90 in lieu of the 85 (if they choose, pending availability or other reasons). If this were to occur, the 'ancillary' costs above would be waived.
        • If the 90 is installed in place of the 85, the 5 differential can be software unlocked for $750
    • Was advised that a battery would take 2-3 weeks to arrive, and that the battery could not be ordered unless drop car off and sign service agreement.
    • Was offered a loaner (likely M3), but would not be available until Monday (this was on a Saturday)
  • Nov 28: Service Center
    • Chose to have replacement 85 kWh battery (🤞🏻 for 90) @ ~$15k
    • Was anticipating loaner, but I asked if we could instead let me continue to drive my car until the replacement arrived
      • I chose to pursue if it were possible to retain my car instead of take a loaner for the time waiting on the replacement HV battery arrival. Was initially told this is not possible but upon further review was allowed to do this. I am out of warranty, I did not feel comfortable taking advantage of a free loaner for 3 weeks. The car was still charging to ~90 miles, I could make do for this time.
    • Via app messaging: was advised that the battery was ordered and they would contact me when arrived in order to arrange replacement
  • Dec 5: Advised ETA of HV battery, Dec 15
    • Was periodically updated, ETA changed to Dec 16
  • Dec 16 (fri): Advised HV battery arrived, loaner available
    • Arranged to come in same-day to drop off car and pick up loaner ('22 MY perf.)
  • Dec 17 (sat): Advised vehicle ready for pickup
    • Invoice showed ~$17k (was supposed to be ~$15k), had a few suspension items on it that should not have been
      • My service advisor was unavailable (weekend), decided to keep loaner until Monday when he was back in the office
  • Dec 19 (mon): Corrected invoice was provided, first thing in the morning
    • $13,250 HV battery (ASY-HV BATTERY,SX-SW LIM 85(1918190-85-A)) + $25.92 (battery bolts) + $429 (labor) + $1028.89 (tax) = $14,733.81 total
    • Paid and picked up

• Pre-repair:
    • Rated (not ideal) range @ 100% = ~228mi (of 265mi when new, ~14% degradation)
    • Rough supercharging rate was something like SoC + kW = 100 to 105
      • Example @ 25% SoC I would see ~ 80kW
  • Post-repair:
      • I have only charged 3 times (to 80%) since the repair, but the range estimated range has actually slightly increased from 296 to 298 over this time.
    • Rough supercharging rate: SoC + kW = 130 to 140, and maintains higher kW much deeper into the curve

It seems I was provided the 90 kWh and from what I can see it is not software limiting. Range and SC charging rates are much improved. All around extremely happy with the service provided, the communication I received, and with the car, despite the hefty price tag on this repair. As I understand it, this is effectively the newest tech for the S batteries, I expect it to last significantly longer than the original.
DO you have a pic of the sticker on the new battery (right front)

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and Droschke
I had similar experience, except firmware limited to 85. Does your binnacle display (instrument cluster) now indicate 90 vs 85?
No, the app and IP still indicate 85. I have a pending SW update (2022.44.25.3) that I am reluctant to apply because I suspect there is a chance the battery will be SW limited following the update... I'll be sure to update this thread after I choose to install.

No, the app and IP still indicate 85. I have a pending SW update (2022.44.25.3) that I am reluctant to apply because I suspect there is a chance the battery will be SW limited following the update... I'll be sure to update this thread after I choose to install.
Here's what happened with mine, plus other similar BMS029 casualties. You can call me at 775.476.2912 if you want to discuss. Seems like software release may have triggered BMS029 error message. Tesla BMS029 | Facebook

DO you have a pic of the sticker on the new battery (right front)
Serial# covered for privacy:
edit.jpg

Reactions: xAgyex
  • Post-repair:

For anyone curious (only one charging session). Looks like SoC + kW is closer to ~135 to 150 post repair: :)
Untitled 2.png

Untitled.png

I have a pending SW update (2022.44.25.3) that I am reluctant to apply because I suspect there is a chance the battery will be SW limited following the update... I'll be sure to update this thread after I choose to install.

I installed the (2022.44.25.3) update and the battery does not appear to have been SW limited. In fact, I charged to 80% yesterday which resulted in 239.35mi on the display (299.19mi @ 100% estimated). 👍🏻

For anyone curious (only one charging session). Looks like SoC + kW is closer to ~135 to 150 post repair: :)
View attachment 893053
View attachment 893056
Also, the charge rate (MPH) of 120KW is higher. Its 402 Miles an hour! For the new batteries,
Old Batteries: 120KW = 400 Volts, 300 Amps
New Battery (the 'Unicorn'): 120KW = 350 Volts, 342.8 Amps into more batteries, hence the faster charge speed :)
I suspect that our older Model S's with the new battery could support higher charge rates once the charge controller (ECU?) is replaced with the upgraded module along with the charge port (CCS Upgrade) (supposed to become available this year, unsure if they plan to roll it out for the older S with the new battery). Guess we will see.

I suspect that our older Model S's with the new battery could support higher charge rates once the charge controller (ECU?) is replaced with the upgraded module along with the charge port (CCS Upgrade) (supposed to become available this year, unsure if they plan to roll it out for the older S with the new battery). Guess we will see.
The CCS retrofit/upgrade does not replace any HV component. (You keep your same charge port.) On the old Model S/X it is just a CCS ECU that gets hooked in-line with the existing charge port ECU with an additional wiring harness. (On Model 3/Y they just replace the charge port ECU with a CCS compatible one.)

So no, the CCS retrofit will not do anything to increase your maximum charging rate.

Interesting. Need to read through the whole thread again, but want to note, an 85 to 90 should NOT require suspension upgrade. They contain the same number of cells and are virtually identical weight. A 60, 70 or 75 to an 85, 90 or 100, yes. A 85 to a 90, no, a 85 or 90 to 100, not "necessary" but recommended.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
looking to purchase a used 2013 tesla. seller states that the battery was replaced by Tesla last year and they showed be service record. it states

ASY-HVBattery, S3, DM, Remanufactured, MDLS (1088905-01-B). no idea what any of this means, as im new to tesla. Cost $11,250 but tesla adjusted it down to $4,680.

12V battery was replaced, DCS33-UNCR MS--PRE

Drive Unit was replaced ATF, QUART (1031106-00-A) ASY, P-TRAIN RMN MDLS , Base, CMC, HD, FA2+ (10232576-00-Q).

Seller states that the replaced battery and drive unit comes with a 5 year warranty (of which 4 is now remaining). I searched on this forum and online and couldn't not confirm if this new battery would have a warranty?