Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 S85 to 2016 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just upgraded to a 90D (from a 2013 S85) and thought I would share my quick initial impressions:
  • The 90D's acceleration and ability to accelerate around corners is very impressive. While a major step up (and forward), part of me misses the madness of the S85's traction control when losing the back end around a fast turn.
  • The screen resolution and contrast of the dash and MCU are noticeably improved.
  • The MCU is much quicker and more responsive than the old one.
  • The new seats (Premium and ventilated) are a vast improvement over the first-gen seats. They are not even comparable. With that being said, why no pocket on the front of the seat anymore?!?
  • The new car's interior is much quieter than my old one. The difference is very noticeable.
  • The sound quality of the standard audio system is significantly improved with a far more rich sound that my old car. I was not aware that they had improved the standard audio system, but it is clear they did. Even the volume levels are significantly higher. I struggled over whether to upgrade the sound system and -- after hearing such audio improvements -- am really glad that I didn't.
  • While I almost never used my frunk, the new car's lilliputian frunk psychologically eels like a step backward. Maybe I will learn to love the benefits of the massive oversized HEPA filter, but right now I am just scratching my head over how tiny and useless the new frunk is.
  • While range is something that I don't really think about much. Seeing that my 90% is more that the 100% charge on my old 85 should make road trips a bit quicker (with tapering that last 10% of charging is always a bit painful).
  • I like the added storage space provided by the center console and think that Tesla did a fairly good job with it, but am really missing the open space in the middle and my old yacht floor. I am thinking that, over time, I will learn to appreciate the console, but right now see it as a step backwards despite the added cupholders and space. I was never part of the chorus complaining about the front cupholders...
  • The rear USB ports (and cupholders) are a real plus with kids, and I am glad to no longer have charging cables snaked to the back of my car.
Overall, I am very impressed with the quality improvements since 2013, and am very happy that I pulled the trigger and upgraded while supercharging is still free.

Looking forward to beta testing AP2 and the self driving features down the road, and laughing at the fact that I have to manually turn on my headlights right now! C'mon Tesla, send me that software upgrade please.

- M

I think that the 2013 award was well-deserved, and am really glad that Tesla has constantly worked to incremetally improve the Model S over the years rather than just resting on its laurels.

In looking at that list of improvements, it is really clear that Tesla is following the forums and is really listening to its customers as almost every one of the improvements listed above has had at least one complaint thread associated with it over the years. Every other manufacturer sells a car for four years then slightly refreshes the exterior to promote the "new" model year while Tesla has quietly improved the S over the years and created a far more refined vehicle.

While upgrading the trunk lighting over the weekend, I was able to see the significant upgrades to the sound-proofing that they have made. The 2013 had very little sound-deadening and the rear quarters of the car were pretty much hollow, while the 2016 has ½" sheets of deadening material in the rear quarters. What a difference that makes on the road...

- M