Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Tesla Battery Pack Failure (Need Advice) - Service Jerking me around

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Never posted here, but I'm at a loss of what to do so thank you for any advice that I have in advance.
  • I have a 2013 tesla (60 KWH) 105K miles - always treated it well I bought CPO from Tesla in 2015
  • Between 2020 - 2021 I replace all 4 door handles, the screen is replaced - glue starts leaking out the bottom, and the SD Card/wireless
  • Right after I replace the screen I get a message saying that it won't charge to maximum any more
  • Service tells me I need to replace battery pack for 11K (this is March 2022) - I have a documented estimate
    • <1 year and 5K out of battery warranty
  • Battery arrives last week and they now service me it is 20K to replace - wasted 6 months paying insurance
  • I talked to dealerships and carvana - they won't take the car because tesla is the only one who can replace the battery
Question:

I have a brand new kid, and to be honest I have neither the patience nor experience to deal with this - How do I get rid of this car?
  • Do I burn 20K up front to get - to get 8-10K on the back end (looks like these cars are selling 28-30K now)?
  • Do I scrap for parts?
  • Do I try to sell on private market - like cars.com with the caveat that you can only charge to 35% - drive around town, but you supercharge for free?
    • How much should I try to sell it for?
  • Is there someone I can complain to? I looked at Tesla website and they don't have like a corporate HR

Any advice is appreciated...

Hello,

Never posted here, but I'm at a loss of what to do so thank you for any advice that I have in advance.
  • I have a 2013 tesla (60 KWH) 105K miles - always treated it well I bought CPO from Tesla in 2015
  • Between 2020 - 2021 I replace all 4 door handles, the screen is replaced - glue starts leaking out the bottom, and the SD Card/wireless
  • Right after I replace the screen I get a message saying that it won't charge to maximum any more
  • Service tells me I need to replace battery pack for 11K (this is March 2022) - I have a documented estimate
  • Battery arrives last week and they now service me it is 20K to replace - wasted 6 months paying insurance
  • I talked to dealerships and carvana - they won't take the car because tesla is the only one who can replace the battery
Question:

I have a brand new kid, and to be honest I have neither the patience nor experience to deal with this - How do I get rid of this car?
  • Do I burn 20K up front to get - to get 8-10K on the back end (looks like these cars are selling 28-30K now)?
  • Do I scrap for parts?
  • Do I try to sell on private market - like cars.com with the caveat that you can only charge to 35% - drive around town, but you supercharge for free?
  • Is there someone I can complain to? I looked at Tesla website and they don't have like a corporate HR

Get it replaced by a third party, dump the car, and learn the lesson to NEVER hold on to a Tesla beyond the warranty period.

Reactions: Apostle
Hello,

Question:

• Do I scrap for parts?

• Do you like the car? If yes, go for the repair. It will be a huge improvement in range and charging speed because a $20k replacement would be a new battery with more range.
  • Were you planning to sell it anyway? If so, sell it as is. The market is weakening and you will risk a lot doing the repair first. How much do you want and where are you located in CA?
  • Your are in a great position with the car being somewhat drivable.

• Do you like the car? If yes, go for the repair. It will be a huge improvement in range and charging speed because a $20k replacement would be a new battery with more range.
  • Were you planning to sell it anyway? If so, sell it as is. The market is weakening and you will risk a lot doing the repair first. How much do you want and where are you located in CA?
  • Your are in a great position with the car being somewhat drivable.
Are you advising him to drop 20k on a battery? What happens when a cooling unit breaks and battery dies as a consequence - Tesla going to cover it? Nope. Tesla is trying to hide in between the lines from all of the stories I have read here and my own personal experience. Had a jam nut loose from factory and they want to make me pay for an alignment. I am convinced even if o put a new battery in on 7 years with the good 4 year or 50,000 mile battery warranty that any system touching that battery that fails that hurts the battery that Tesla will come back and say that the battery warranty is not going to cover it. Call it cascading failure or whatever you want. I hope he did not buy the battery

Are you advising him to drop 20k on a battery? What happens when a cooling unit breaks and battery dies as a consequence - Tesla going to cover it? Nope. Tesla is trying to hide in between the lines from all of the stories I have read here and my own personal experience. Had a jam nut loose from factory and they want to make me pay for an alignment. I am convinced even if o put a new battery in on 7 years with the good 4 year or 50,000 mile battery warranty that any system touching that battery that fails that hurts the battery that Tesla will come back and say that the battery warranty is not going to cover it. Call it cascading failure or whatever you want. I hope he did not buy the battery
Who hurt you? There is no reason to be so negative. I just bought a dead S60 and have the new 90kWh battery on order so practicing what I preach.

Reactions: Yelobird and rhinOC
Hello,

Question:

• Do I scrap for parts?

Electrified Garage and 057 Technology will likely get you a refurbished battery.

I believe Tesla purposely brakes my vehicle with software updates. Software updates are a money printing machine.

I think I’ve counted 5 people post in the last few hours about dead batteries and service centers saying they need to buy a new one.

I believe Telsa is purposely creating the battery problems, and other problems, with a software update. Or, is Tesla really manufactured and engineered so poorly that they constantly need major repairs costing thousands of dollars?

I added a link to an article where Tesla held a battery ransome.

Tesla locks 80 miles of customer’s battery range for $4,500 ransom

Would not put it past Tesla to lock batteries today to get money out of owners. Elon can’t get his tranches of money unless earnings are up.

Tesla has to produce a new vehicle to earn $15,000. Telsa can brake our vehicles remotely and then fix with software at no cost. They can print money. It’s hard to believe so many cars are this defective.

Elon testified that he’s in charge of the software that makes a Tesla work, rather than a traditional CEO. Who are the 50 Tesla engineers brought to Twitter? Tesla needs to be investigated.

Teslas are disposable lemons. They are not for normal ordinary people who have families and bills and budgets. Teslas are for people with f-u money.

Elon is bleeding money at Twitter so he’s bleeding us dry at the service centers.

Tesla profit is up because of repairing these hunks of trash. Tesla can’t survive when the world realizes that the cars don’t hold up and impossible to afford to own out of warranty.

Tesla has destroyed relationships with owners. This is an unsustainable business model.

File complaints with the Federal Trade Commission, National Highway Safety Traffic Administration and the Better Business Bureau.

Write to Car and Driver and Consumer Reports. Write to journalists who cover Tesla competitors.

Complain to your state attorney general and the agency that overseas auto repair garages in your state.

There are more than 9,000 complaints with with the FTC. Last month Elon was making fun of a senator who oversees the FTC and NHSTA on Twitter. The hammer is going to fall.

Last edited: