TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2013 Tesla Model S 85 w/88k on eBay

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Michael A, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Michael A

Michael A Member

#1 Michael A, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Wondering what everyone thinks of this car, currently no reserve, I am the high bidder at this point. Owner bought a new P100D to replace it.

2013 Tesla Model S | eBay

I looked at it, drove it yesterday and it appears to be in good mechanical condition as the battery pack, drive unit and nav screen have all been replaced. One owner, original window sticker included, $89k MSRP, clean carfax. I suppose there is a small balance of the warranty left. Air suspension worked fine, tires ok, minimal curb rash, 3G internet access was active.

Cosmetically it was a bit of a mess with small dings, scratches and chips all over the car. Rear diffuser was damaged, side sill area with a black plastic cover (not sure what this is called) was a little wonky. No paint work but the panel gaps where a bit off which very well could be par for course on an early S 85. Interior had some wear on the front and rear seats, steering wheel and door panels.

2013 Tesla Model S | eBay

2. Michael A

Michael A Member

Photo on eBay shows 244 miles however when I looked at it, it was reading 197-199 miles which appeared to be about 80%-90%.

Owner obviously drove the heck out of it like it was a $10k economy car.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    TIA

3. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Anything under $35k would be a great deal.

4. Michael A

Michael A Member

No reserve, I am currently high bidder at $28,100 not sure how much more I would want to go up on this car.
    The exterior is in really poor condition.

5. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

No more than 35....and great find

• Love x 1
  6. icanmakeit

icanmakeit Member

Have the owner pull the Tesla maintaince records for u. See what been replaced and what is recommended . Tesla takes good care of their car owners. Even. Second car owners. If you can get at 35k or lower. Would be good deal.
    Cheers

7. Michael A

Michael A Member

Auction is now up to $28,600, I am not sure I am going to continue bidding on this because I feel like cosmetically inside and out it is just too far gone, I am not picky about dents, scratches, chips and wear but this car was driven like a cheap commuter car.

The seller could have an issue shipping this car to an unsuspecting buyer if it is not inspected first.

8. steve841

steve841 Active Member

An early Tesla that lived its life in the salty NE ...

No way.

9. Michael A

Michael A Member

It is a late model 2013 and had no salty anything. The exterior and interior is just a little beat down like a cheap commuter car.

10. kev1n

kev1n Member

wait until you see loaner/Tesla used cars lol

this is pretty normal in general, you either will find well kept or trashed cars just like any other car. its nothing specific with the brand/cost compared to something cheaper like a corolla/civic. its dependent on the owners

11. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

I love how half the advertisement is selling the car and half of it is talking *sugar* on the Model 3. LOL

I'd buy it under $35,000 as well.

12. Michael A

Michael A Member

He was a nice guy (seller) but wasnt a car enthusiast at all. In fact he just bought a P100D for over $120k already has scratches, scraps and dings on it. You can see it in the photos of the eBay ad.

Just shocking to me that a $90k plus car wasn't taken care of.
    I have been looking at 5-10 yr old Porsche's with similar mileage in immaculate condition.

13. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

While he beats up his 2020 Roadster, maybe he will sell the P100D to me for cheap? :)

Not everyone takes care of their kids, cars, careers, health how they should. I wouldn't use that as a decision on value as you can repaint the whole thing and ceramic coat it if the deal is low enough.

14. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Late 2013 is still an early Model S. There were various reports of the extended exposure to road salt causing excessive aluminum oxidation in mirrors and suspension components contributing to some failures .... but, it's your money.