Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Tesla Model S - install basic Autopilot

nmrais

Oct 18, 2021
Roseville
Hello All,

I finally purchased my first tesla. I got a 2013 Tesla Model S (60Kwh). I was wondering if anyone can clarify one thing for me.

1) Can I install basic Autopilot on this vehicle? Right now it doesn't come with autopilot.
2) Is there a way I can add 2 additional battery modules (4.5Kwh) into the 2 empty slots in my car battery? Tesla said they won't upgrade my battery any more.

ucmndd

Mar 10, 2016
California
No and no.

I mean, technically I’m sure you could do #1 if you were really super determined to source countless parts, hack them all together and tear your car apart to install them, and then modify your vehicle’s software/config to support it. So sure, it’s “possible”.

#2 has all of the same caveats, but also probably won’t work at all because you’ll never find two modules closely matched enough to the existing ones in your car. Even if you hacked it all together the BMS would quickly detect an imbalance and nerf the whole pack.

Tam

Nov 25, 2012
Visalia, CA
Hello All,

I finally purchased my first tesla. I got a 2013 Tesla Model S (60Kwh). I was wondering if anyone can clarify one thing for me.

1) Can I install basic Autopilot on this vehicle? Right now it doesn't come with autopilot.
No. Autopilot didn't come out until 10/2014.
2) Is there a way I can add 2 additional battery modules (4.5Kwh) into the 2 empty slots in my car battery?
Not from Tesla.
Tesla said they won't upgrade my battery any more.
No. Won't upgrade. Not from Tesla. But if your car has run out of warranty (8 years/infinite miles), you can upgrade from do-it-yourself experts:

They can upgrade yours to 90 kWh with standard compatibility (you can still receive firmware updates from Tesla the same way as you are getting now).

They can also modify yours to 100 kWh with non-standard compatibility (you need to physically bring your car to 057tech to receive firmware updates).

Takumi

Aug 25, 2006
IL
Congratulations!

You can install basic Autopilot. I believe 057 Technology can accommodate you on that. But I think the labor involved will for the most part prohibit it.
You'll find additional information on other shops that work on Teslas here:
Fix Your Tesla - Service manuals and online forum support from other Tesla owners.

One other alternative to Autopilot would be openpilot.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC