Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 vs 2014 P85?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
im on the fence and wanted a second opinion, im in the market for a used P85 and im looking at either a 2013 or a 2014 model year. looking at the options in my local market, there are a lot more 2013 to chose from vs 2014.

i have looked at the year changes on Model S - Options by Year - Tesla Motors Club Wiki

some of the changes that caught my eye are the updated resolution, is this actually a big improvement or something i wont be able to tell unless i had the 2 side by side?

In the late Summer of 2014, the driver's instrument cluster display resolution was improved from 1280 X 480 to 1920 X 720. No new functionality was add at the time of the display change.

i do also would like the power folding mirrors offered in late 2013 models since i have a narrow garage, for models that dont have this, is there still an option to fold the mirror via a button inside the car?

i am looking to buy the car this year, should i hold out closer to mid-end of year where the 2014 leases would be coming back and hoping for more cars to chose from?

am i missing anything else important i should look at when considering buying a used 2013 vs 2014?

also looks like model 3 is coming out this year, how would this impact model s used car market? prices will drop?

the specs im looking for would be:
P85
white exterior
black interior
tech package
air suspension

The screen resolution is a minor improvement, you really have to look closely to see the difference. If it were me choosing, it wouldn't be a factor influencing my decision at all.

Cars without the power folding mirrors still fold, but manually, there's no switch.

Very early 2013 models also didn't have parking sensors.

Some 2013 models will have their factory warranty expire this year, so watch out for that.

I'd wait a few more months for the late-2014 P85's with Autopilot. Beyond Autopilot (which IMO is a deal breaker itself), there are significant other improvements in the late-2014 cars:

• Seat comfort improvements and taller headrests for whiplash protection
  • Improvements for a quieter cabin
  • Wider rear door opening
  • Electrically opening, self-closing charge port door on Dual Motor Model S (delivered with Dual Motor Model S)
  • Increased visor size and larger vanity mirror
  • Parcel shelf and front trunk cargo net now standard
  • Air ionizer and carbon filter for cabin air purity
  • Updated steering column control module
  • Updates to Alcantara interior trim, such as wrapped roof bow and top pad
Dual Motor Model S and Autopilot

If you can't find a P85 (not too many were made), I'd recommend waiting a few more months after that for some early 2015 85D's. The 85D acceleration is similar to the P85, and of course the 85D has all-wheel-drive.

The screen resolution is a minor improvement, you really have to look closely to see the difference. If it were me choosing, it wouldn't be a factor influencing my decision at all.

Cars without the power folding mirrors still fold, but manually, there's no switch.

Very early 2013 models also didn't have parking sensors.

Some 2013 models will have their factory warranty expire this year, so watch out for that.

thanks for your info, do you know what month exactly the power folding mirrors were introduced? how can i easily spot if the car has them or not?

in terms of warranty, i wouldnt mind one under the extended warranty or cpo warranty but not at the cost of more than $4000 if id had bought one without warranty. id rather save aside the $4000 for repairs than go with any warranty. 2nd thoughts on this? i know the car battery/drive unit is good until 2021 or so.

I'd wait a few more months for the late-2014 P85's with Autopilot. Beyond Autopilot (which IMO is a deal breaker itself), there are significant other improvements in the late-2014 cars:

• Seat comfort improvements and taller headrests for whiplash protection
  • Improvements for a quieter cabin
  • Wider rear door opening
  • Electrically opening, self-closing charge port door on Dual Motor Model S (delivered with Dual Motor Model S)
  • Increased visor size and larger vanity mirror
  • Parcel shelf and front trunk cargo net now standard
  • Air ionizer and carbon filter for cabin air purity
  • Updated steering column control module
  • Updates to Alcantara interior trim, such as wrapped roof bow and top pad
Dual Motor Model S and Autopilot

If you can't find a P85 (not too many were made), I'd recommend waiting a few more months after that for some early 2015 85D's. The 85D acceleration is similar to the P85, and of course the 85D has all-wheel-drive.

may sound funny but im actually not interested in autopilot and prefer to get a car without it for cost savings.
i did take a look at the 85D vs P85 at one point but i dont think it justify the cost difference(about $10,000 used car price) since i do not need AWD and rather not pay extra for it.

thanks for your info, do you know what month exactly the power folding mirrors were introduced? how can i easily spot if the car has them or not?

in terms of warranty, i wouldnt mind one under the extended warranty or cpo warranty but not at the cost of more than $4000 if id had bought one without warranty. id rather save aside the $4000 for repairs than go with any warranty. 2nd thoughts on this? i know the car battery/drive unit is good until 2021 or so.

I don't know the exact month or VIN cutoff.. you can look for the mirror folding button on the drivers side button panel.

The warranty is a personal risk calculation. Everyone is different. I like having that piece of mind.

The feature was announced at the end of October for new orders. Those of us with orders already in the pipeline were permitted to upgrade if we paid the additional $500 cost. My 11/23/13 delivery (VIN 25,xxx) was delivered about a week after first availability, so production date must be second half of November 2013. It must have the technology package to have received the power mirrors. That said, since many owners were allowed to switch at the last minute, and had to pay to do so, the mirrors were phased in over a series of months. The VIN isn't going to tell you anything.

If the above conditions were met (mid-Nov delivery or later + technology package), ask for a picture of the buttons on the driver's door. There's a button to fold the mirrors that will tell you definitively.

I have a AP2 60S but had a 2013 P85 loaner for several days. I have size 12 feet and perhaps large feet explains why I hit both pedals several times. (That issue has been discussed in several threads so it isn't just me.) Oddly, I have never had this happen in my 60S or any other of the many cars I have owned and otherwise driven. It may sound like a minor glitch but it would drive me nuts to say nothing of the possible safety concerns. The first time or two it happened, I thought the brakes were messed up. I don't know if 2014 changed the pedals but mine surely must be different.

what about a 2012? i just saw a local one that caught my eye that looks to be in great condition.
There were a lot of changes through 2013. You already linked the thread to look at them all. If none of them are must-haves, a 2012 would be fine. They had some early problems, but Tesla was good about retrofitting updated parts into them. I wouldn't worry too much, especially if it's a Signature you're looking at, which may prop up the resale value slightly for the right buyer (particularly if it's red).

I have a AP2 60S but had a 2013 P85 loaner for several days. I have size 12 feet and perhaps large feet explains why I hit both pedals several times. (That issue has been discussed in several threads so it isn't just me.) Oddly, I have never had this happen in my 60S or any other of the many cars I have owned and otherwise driven. It may sound like a minor glitch but it would drive me nuts to say nothing of the possible safety concerns. The first time or two it happened, I thought the brakes were messed up. I don't know if 2014 changed the pedals but mine surely must be different.
They did change the pedal configuration. They seem to have patterned the original layout after manual transmission vehicles: the placement and alignment is nearly identical to my stick-shift car. The problem, of course, is that the majority of Model S buyers are coming from automatics. Worse, the reason the pedals are so close in a manual is so you can heel-toe, which is obviously not a concern in a vehicle without a clutch pedal. So they rightly changed it.