Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 85 vs. 2015 70D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I am looking to get a used Model S in the <$50K range. I had been planning on a 2014 85 but see that the 2015 70D's are starting to approach a similar price range. Just curious what owners or those who've had either of these cars in the past think about which way to go. Any major differences other than AP1 in the 2015's? And of course AWD vs. RWD. Thanks for any feedback.

in my opinion being that you are looking at an 85 vs. the 70D I think i would opt for the 70D... the AWD, AP and overall technology is a better short and long term deal. (resale) Also I believe that the next gen seats are more comfortable than the 2014 variety. also even if you are not using AP there are some features in the 2015 that make it a tad bit safer. I would likely go the other way if you were talking about a P85 or P85+ because then you are talking about a big jump in performance and a big jump in the fun factor. However I believe a regular 85 is very close to the same performance as the 70D and I don't believe you are giving up much range at all. I know the D cars are more efficient and it is likely you might have a slightly higher amount of battery degradation in the older car. As long as the 70D has the options you want I would lean in that direction. On the other hand I would opt for my P85+ over pretty much any other Tesla model AP or no AP... but then again I am biased..LOL

Hope that helps

oh yeah... one more thing... you get an extra year of factory warranty with the 70D being that it is newer.. get the extended warranty on top of that and you could be covered for 6 years... these cars are expensive to fix so the more warranty the better...

in my opinion being that you are looking at an 85 vs. the 70D I think i would opt for the 70D... the AWD, AP and overall technology is a better short and long term deal. (resale) Also I believe that the next gen seats are more comfortable than the 2014 variety. also even if you are not using AP there are some features in the 2015 that make it a tad bit safer. I would likely go the other way if you were talking about a P85 or P85+ because then you are talking about a big jump in performance and a big jump in the fun factor. However I believe a regular 85 is very close to the same performance as the 70D and I don't believe you are giving up much range at all. I know the D cars are more efficient and it is likely you might have a slightly higher amount of battery degradation in the older car. As long as the 70D has the options you want I would lean in that direction. On the other hand I would opt for my P85+ over pretty much any other Tesla model AP or no AP... but then again I am biased..LOL

Hope that helps
Thanks for all of the comparisons. I hadn't thought about the battery degradation, but being a year newer may make the 70D comparable to the 85 in range. And the extra technology and safety options with a 2015 are enticing. I agree about the P85(+) being the better option. However those are hard to find at <$50K. How do your tires hold up with the performance vehicle?

tires on a + are a challenge since rotation is not an option... I have about 12K on mine and I have to start thinking about rear tires... the fronts still have about 7/32nds...the new Pilot tires are supposed to last longer so they will be the next set to try.

You should go to the thread called "Affording a Tesla" and read what I wrote about buying used as opposed to new. I think you might find some of that information useful...

Good Luck

tires on a + are a challenge since rotation is not an option... I have about 12K on mine and I have to start thinking about rear tires... the fronts still have about 7/32nds...the new Pilot tires are supposed to last longer so they will be the next set to try.

You should go to the thread called "Affording a Tesla" and read what I wrote about buying used as opposed to new. I think you might find some of that information useful...

Good Luck
Sounds like the P vehicles are nice, but probably out of my price range. I will definitely check out the thread. Thanks again for your help.

No problem. I still might go with the 70D since chances are it will have Autopilot 1.0 at the very least. The 2014 85 probably not unless it was manufactured after September/October.
Yeah, the AP is very tempting. Just worried about giving up range and possibly a little power. If I can find a late 2014 85 w/ AP, that would be awesome, but under 50K may be difficult.

Yeah, the AP is very tempting. Just worried about giving up range and possibly a little power. If I can find a late 2014 85 w/ AP, that would be awesome, but under 50K may be difficult.
I bought my 2014 85 with AP1 in May off Craigslist for 50K. It was a CPO he just bought in Jan so it still had a great warranty with it. They are out there for that price, very limited, but possible. Good luck.

I bought my 2014 85 with AP1 in May off Craigslist for 50K. It was a CPO he just bought in Jan so it still had a great warranty with it. They are out there for that price, very limited, but possible. Good luck.
I must have missed this reply. Wow! You found a great deal! I'd settle for a '14, 85 w/ low miles and no AP for under 50K. Thanks for posting about the good find. I hope it holds up over time and that you're enjoying it thoroughly!