Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 85 vs. 2015 70D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I am looking to get a used Model S in the <$50K range. I had been planning on a 2014 85 but see that the 2015 70D's are starting to approach a similar price range. Just curious what owners or those who've had either of these cars in the past think about which way to go. Any major differences other than AP1 in the 2015's? And of course AWD vs. RWD. Thanks for any feedback.

Hi all,

I am looking to get a used Model S in the <$50K range. I had been planning on a 2014 85 but see that the 2015 70D's are starting to approach a similar price range. Just curious what owners or those who've had either of these cars in the past think about which way to go. Any major differences other than AP1 in the 2015's? And of course AWD vs. RWD. Thanks for any feedback.
I'd choose the 2015 75D - range is close but it's one year newer and autopilot
I was considering that, but the lower range is an issue.
It's a very small range difference - small enough that you should have both cars charged to 100% and then see what rated range it is. We are talking I think - 19 miles epa? In the real world I'd charge them to 100% and see what it tells you. Might be smaller than you think. Autopilot is a game changer and I think for most people will make a much larger difference in utility aka "happiness aka "satisfaction" over the lifetime of the ownership period than 10-20 more miles of range.

• Informative
Reactions: BrandonG
I just sold my 2013 S85 and purchased a 2015 S70D.

In my ~16k of use this past year I've only taken advantage of the additional range 2 or 3 times and easily could have stopped briefly at a supercharger in route - depending on supercharger density and availability in your area this may work for you.

Biggest part for me is having Autopilot (even AP1) and dual motor is just a bonus.

I'll miss the large frunk.

Don't underestimate the large frunk.
We have the 85 and had recently a 70D loaner.
Although the frunk is still there in 70D, it is way smaller.
I plan on keeping our 85 for a long time and one thing I'm sure I'd regret is the frunk if we ever need to change for a more recent S. We're a family of 4, with 11y and 13y kids. So vacation means a lot of big toys (skateboards,scooters, inflatable boats..). All fits well in the 85.
Range difference is indeed low but in cold weather you'll be happier with more.
AP1 is very recommended, I'd look for a '15 S85.
Unless you drive often in winter conditions, the D is not necessarily a better drive: whine from front motor vs silence in Rwd. And handling is a matter of personal taste but I do prefer the rwd.
Finally it is again a personal judgement but the 85 feels quicker to accelerate. Certainly above 30 mph. Anyway as usual, I'll conclude by saying whichever you will chose, you'll be very happy with. They are both great cars.

• Informative
Go for the newer Model S with AP1 and AWD dual motor :cool:
I'd choose the 2015 75D - range is close but it's one year newer and autopilot

It's a very small range difference - small enough that you should have both cars charged to 100% and then see what rated range it is. We are talking I think - 19 miles epa? In the real world I'd charge them to 100% and see what it tells you. Might be smaller than you think. Autopilot is a game changer and I think for most people will make a much larger difference in utility aka "happiness aka "satisfaction" over the lifetime of the ownership period than 10-20 more miles of range.
I think it may be a little more of a difference for the 70, but a one year newer vehicle will have less battery degradation, assuming miles are similar on both cars. Thanks for the advice on full charging them. I think I need to do more research on AP so I know everything it adds to the car.

I just sold my 2013 S85 and purchased a 2015 S70D.

In my ~16k of use this past year I've only taken advantage of the additional range 2 or 3 times and easily could have stopped briefly at a supercharger in route - depending on supercharger density and availability in your area this may work for you.

Biggest part for me is having Autopilot (even AP1) and dual motor is just a bonus.

I'll miss the large frunk.
Thanks for the info. There is only 1 supercharger close by, and a lot within 150 miles. The consensus seems to be that the AP1 is big plus. How does the power/acceleration on the 70D compare to the 85?

I saw your car online and it was a good deal. Just not my color and I'm most likely waiting until January to use my refund as down payment

Don't underestimate the large frunk.
We have the 85 and had recently a 70D loaner.
Although the frunk is still there in 70D, it is way smaller.
I plan on keeping our 85 for a long time and one thing I'm sure I'd regret is the frunk if we ever need to change for a more recent S. We're a family of 4, with 11y and 13y kids. So vacation means a lot of big toys (skateboards,scooters, inflatable boats..). All fits well in the 85.
Range difference is indeed low but in cold weather you'll be happier with more.
AP1 is very recommended, I'd look for a '15 S85.
Unless you drive often in winter conditions, the D is not necessarily a better drive: whine from front motor vs silence in Rwd. And handling is a matter of personal taste but I do prefer the rwd.
Finally it is again a personal judgement but the 85 feels quicker to accelerate. Certainly above 30 mph. Anyway as usual, I'll conclude by saying whichever you will chose, you'll be very happy with. They are both great cars.

Thanks for all of the information. We're planning on having kids soon, so the frunk would definitely come in handy.
I think a '15 85 is out of my price range, but possibly in the future if prices go down.
We have an SUV for taking to the mountains, so AWD is not an issue unless it adds lots of power, which it sounds like the 85 still has more of that. We do have a decent amount of freezing days, so the extra range on the 85 would be nice.
Thanks for the reassurance about it being a great car. That seems to be the consensus from most people.

I think it may be a little more of a difference for the 70, but a one year newer vehicle will have less battery degradation, assuming miles are similar on both cars. Thanks for the advice on full charging them. I think I need to do more research on AP so I know everything it adds to the car.

It turns the freeway into a metrolink ride. It's that good. Don't read books of course...