TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

2014 Cadillac ELR drive review The wreath-and-crest brand takes the punt

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Argelius, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Argelius

Argelius Member

Jun 8, 2013
    Palm Springs, CA
    Before I decided to throw in couple more handfuls of cash and get the Model S, I was really looking forward to the Cadillac ELR. Think it's a gorgeous coupe (and really more in line with the size of car I would prefer). Alas, glad I didn't hold out for it.

Think the "it's just a gussied up Volt" is a little too easy and overly harsh, but in this case, it would appear to be accurate. Had Cadillac priced the ELR at $55,000, they might have had a winner. At $76,000 it's insane.

2014 Cadillac ELR drive review - Autoweek
  2. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Skaneateles, NY

I've been saying that since day 1 when they announced pricing. It's a glorified volt. Cadillac (aka still GM) waayyy overpriced themselves out of the market on this one. $55k is also too high. $45k is a better number. @$76k?...they are living in a dream world. I don't know who they think they are.

"as we feared, it's a Volt coupe with a fancy interior for more than twice the sticker price." - LOL!!!
  3. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

Jul 16, 2009
    #3 ChadS, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
    GM was one of the few companies that started building a plug-in before it was clear they would be forced to. They have stated repeatedly that the Volt is a "halo" car, meant to draw people in to the showrooms and show off GM's technology. It is more about building the brand rep for deploying advanced technology and getting people in to the showroom, where they can sell them another GM car - ideally one with higher margins. While Volts aren't high-margin, selling them isn't a terrible thing; because then more people get to see it. And more people get to hear about owner experiences with the Volt, which until the Model S recently took over, was the car with the highest owner satisfaction ratings.

The ELR is just going further along the same lines - a halo car pulling people in to the showrooms. They are fine with overpricing it; in a way, that helps people perceive it as awesome and draw them in to the showrooms. And while they will sell fewer at that price, they will at least be making decent margins (though not as decent as you might think - low quantities really drive prices up).

And I'm sure the owners will be happy. It's no Model S, but it's a very nice car - good looks, awesome interior finish, and tons of great tech features - and it works better for one-car families in areas with no Superchargers. People that are just plain afraid of EVs or new car companies may go for it as well. They will sell some; likely as many as they want (easy when expectations are low).
  4. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Dec 15, 2012
    The ELR is gorgeous.