Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 Cold air draft from rear fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I apologize if this isn't in the right forum, but I wanted to share.

Backstory: I was driving from the Beaver, UT supercharger to Nephi, UT supercharger a few months ago and it was about 10 degrees outside. The car was driving fine but no matter how much I was blasting the heat it still felt cool in the car. The heaters were working great and plenty of hot air from the vents, but the car itself still felt it should be getting warmer. After getting home I forgot about this as I usually preheated the car in the garage and it was plenty warm for shorter trips to work (about 15 miles) and wasn't usually as cold out.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago and my wife was sitting in the back with out baby and we did a small trip from Utah to Wyoming. It was about 30 degrees out and she said "Hey, did you know it's kinda cold back here? I can feel a draft coming from both doors." Then I remembered my drive from Beaver to Nephi.

So I did a little research and saw a couple people mention cold air from the back, and then a video from Rich Rebuilds where he talks about air coming through the door handles and the C-pillar and making sound. So I tried to figure out how to fix this because if air was making sound it was probably coming through and making it cold too. So I bought some insulation for vehicles and went to town on the back doors. I found a few interesting things. First was the most obvious, the piece of plastic/rubber whatever that is stuck to cover the big hole in the doors is very thin, brittle, and did nothing in my opinion. Not only that, but on BOTH of my rear doors it wasn't attached properly. On the left door it was about 3" too low, and on the right door it wasn't even attached.

Next I noticed another issue for sound and cold and that is that the door itself had one piece of insulation from the factory. One! It was about 6" by 6" and that was it. That does next to nothing for sound or temperatures. The edge can be seen in my first photo.

So I went to town and did the best I could. This was the first time I've done anything like this. I cleaned up the door of dust and installed some insulation. I wasn't looking for perfect coverage (obviously by my photos) but I was looking to seal the big hole on the side and add some more just in case. I lined the inside of the door, and then the exterior part that gets covered by the door panel. Took about 45 minutes each side. Removing the door panel is super easy, and honestly the hardest part about getting it back together is the little rubber gasket lining up inside the door handle.

So we went for a drive after doing this and my wife again sat in the back. It wasn't quite as cold but still cold enough that cold air intrusion would easily be felt. The first thing she said when we hopped on the freeway was "well, I can no longer feel any air leaks, and it's a lot quieter back here".

Next day off, I'm doing the front doors. I sat in the back and the audio sounded better to me but that could be placebo. If I knock on the panel on the outside you can easily distinguish the difference between the doors with added insulation and not.

I'm not sure many people will need or want to do this, but if you have sound or air leaks coming from the back, this might be you problem. $40 on amazon and less than 2 hours and the back of the car is, in my opinion, much more comfortable.
insulation 1.jpg
insulation 2.jpg
insualtion 3.jpg

Reactions: bigdave79