Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 December Model S with Auto Pilot steering left on Auto Pilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2014 December made Model S with 22K miles on it. For the most part its an awesome car. I use Auto Pilot on every single drive - be it internal roads or freeways. Recently I have started to notice a weird issue while the car is on Auto Pilot. Here is the exact scenario when it misbehaves:

-> Internal road - single lane (one for each side) - excellent lane markings - straight with no turns / curves
-> Speed - 35 mph limit + 5 (tested with both 35 & 40)
-> Time of day - Day or Night - the problem behavior exists anytime of day irrespective of lighting
-> Auto Pilot version??? I am assuming its 1.0 since the car was made in Dec 2014
-> Road is going up and down hills - so elevation is in play
-> Every time the car goes up a hill and it reaches the top most point when it cannot see the downhill lane markings, autopilot steers to the left onto oncoming traffic. This happens every single time consistently. At 35 mph it is less noticeable and it recovers quickly but at 40+ it can easily get into serious accidents. The other day I was going on a state highway at 60 mph and in an exact same scenario, the car steered to the left and crossed the double lane markings and ended up in the oncoming traffic lane.

Have anyone of you noticed this behavior or is it just mine thats causing it? I see this as a potential disaster pending to happen when I am not watchful.

I did take a video today evening during a test drive on a local road near my house and it was extremely easy to reproduce the behavior. I will try to upload the video somewhere and will post the link here.

Here is the first video:

There are 2 times it tries to go over to the oncoming traffic lane during these times:
0:08
0:30

I intentionally reduced the speed to 35 mph since it recovers faster and doesnt get into the oncoming lane too much but I believe thats sufficient enough to cause an accident.

I will upload the second video from a different road segment at 40 mph.