Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 Drive Unit - Inverter Whining Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a used 2014 P85 last November. Car was running great until I started hearing a whining noise at low speeds. After researching the issue, sounds like a common issue with several being replaced on older model vehicles. I was unaware of this when I bought the car and, it occurred just outside of the warranty of course. Tesla wants $7000 to fix it. Car barely has 70k miles on it. If this is such a common issue, why isn’t it an automatic required service recall prior to the 8 yr mark? Had I known, would’ve taken it in prior to the warranty expiring. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Recalls are for safety issues, not mechanical wear or reliability.

You don’t have much recourse. You can live with the noise, let Tesla replace the drive unit, or you might consider taking it to QC Charge since you’re in SoCal as they rebuild Tesla drive units.

Reactions: cwerdna
Upvote 0
A 2014 Tesla doesn't have PWS, so that's not it. The fact that Tesla examined it and found the noise was the motor makes the most sense.
During the first couple of years of production, Tesla uses metal ball bearings in the motor. These develop micro-pits very slowly over time due to unforeseen electrical arcing. It doesn't actually affect the functional operation but makes a whining noise that very slowly gets louder over time. The tone also changes with speed. At higher speeds, road noise often masks that noise. Sometime in 2014 new cars and replacement motors use ceramic bearings, which never have the micro-pit problem or noise. Usually, most owners had the noise problem show up in the first 30-40K miles and Tesla replaced the motors under warranty. My 2013 S had it at about 35K miles. So with 80K miles on your car, it may be something else.

Upvote 0
A 2014 Tesla doesn't have PWS, so that's not it. The fact that Tesla examined it and found the noise was the motor makes the most sense.
During the first couple of years of production, Tesla uses metal ball bearings in the motor. These develop micro-pits very slowly over time due to unforeseen electrical arcing. It doesn't actually affect the functional operation but makes a whining noise that very slowly gets louder over time. The tone also changes with speed. At higher speeds, road noise often masks that noise. Sometime in 2014 new cars and replacement motors use ceramic bearings, which never have the micro-pit problem or noise. Usually, most owners had the noise problem show up in the first 30-40K miles and Tesla replaced the motors under warranty. My 2013 S had it at about 35K miles. So with 80K miles on your car, it may be something else.

Upvote 0
I purchased a used 2014 P85 last November. Car was running great until I started hearing a whining noise at low speeds. After researching the issue, sounds like a common issue with several being replaced on older model vehicles. I was unaware of this when I bought the car and, it occurred just outside of the warranty of course. Tesla wants $7000 to fix it. Car barely has 70k miles on it. If this is such a common issue, why isn’t it an automatic required service recall prior to the 8 yr mark? Had I known, would’ve taken it in prior to the warranty expiring. Any thoughts or suggestions?
I just bought a 14 model s. previous owner said it always made that noise. since he had it into Tesla recently I bought it anyway. I realized it had 2 months left on warranty so I brought it in to service to double check. took me and the service tech 2 seconds of driving, literally, when we both said 'drive unit, right'? .. getting me a new one under warranty this wknd. :)

Reactions: vcor and Alabaster
Upvote 0